Introducing....."Sueburban"

DaveNay

Adventurer
Well, I have my new truck!

Since deciding to rid myself of the pain in my *** that is my '04 F150 I have been on the hunt for a Suburban 2500. I had been looking for a 4WD but then came along a absolutely fantastic 1999 Suburban 2500 with a big block but only 2WD. The deal closer was that it was only $4500 and had 52K original miles on it. It was owned by an older gentleman (RIP) and his wife who lived in central IL for the summer then used the 'burb to tow their trailer to Texas for the winter. There is almost no frame rust and the body appears to be in perfect condition. Interior could be only six months old at first glance. Seat cushions are not broken down and the fabric has no wear marks or tears. AC works front and back, power everything, etc etc.

So I bought it!

I'm calling it Sueburban because it's like a T-Rex. Big and powerful but only two wheel drive. Sue is the name of one of the most famous T-Rex skeletons ever found.

It was too dark by the time I got home to take pictures, so I will update tomorrow with them.

First order of business is going to get new tires on order (they have signs of dry rot) as well as replacing all belts and hoses while doing a trans flush, coolant flush and oil change.

There's a slight humming noise coming from the left rear wheel at highway speeds, but there's a good chance it has to do with the rotten tires.

I know there's going to be a lot of opinion about a 2WD "expedition" truck, but for my needs (horse trailer, boat trailer, state park camping, etc) there really is no need for 4WD. As many have said before, the best thing 4WD does is get you stuck even worse. This is not going to be a trail truck; think of it as a base camp truck.

FCM

Not Lost, Finding Another Way
I know there's going to be a lot of opinion about a 2WD "expedition" truck, but for my needs (horse trailer, boat trailer, state park camping, etc) there really is no need for 4WD. As many have said before, the best thing 4WD does is get you stuck even worse. This is not going to be a trail truck; think of it as a base camp truck.

My personal opinion; 2wd get's you into trouble, 4wd gets you out. What I mean by that is to always keep your truck in 2wd until you are starting to stuck, then kick it in 4wd to get yourself out of that situation. If you're in 4wd when you get stuck, you're stuck.
-
2wd can and will go 95% of the places a 4wd can. You'll just have to make sure you have a way to extract yourself... like you should even if you were 4wd.
-
The only benefit that I imagine you will not have access to is the low gear of the transfer case. It can come in handy even in 2wd low when you need the extra torque or control.
-
-
Have fun with your big girl...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Get a bit of height and some taller aggressive all terrain tires under it and you'll be set. Does it have posi/limited slip in the rear? Might want some sort of locker if not (or instead of).

DaveNay

Adventurer
Get a bit of height and some taller aggressive all terrain tires under it and you'll be set. Does it have posi/limited slip in the rear? Might want some sort of locker if not (or instead of).

It does not have the G80. Since the tires are dry rotten I will have to replace them right away and more aggressive tires are definitely going on. I would like to replace the open diff with a True Trak (or some similar model yet to be determined)

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor

Agreed as stated in the other thread!! A locker and possibly a winch, no worries. Sadly there is not an A/T in 255/85-16, but take a look at the Toyo A/T-II as it is a great tire...

NoDak

It was just a suggestion.

I saw Redline used to run those on both his PSD F350 and his V8 4Runner and used both for towing iirc.

Nice rig, though. One of my favorites of the subs and wouldn't mind the 2wd a bit.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Congrats! I think for what you're looking to do she will serve you well, just stay away from muddy roads. And I like the name.

I love 2500 Subs- trying to find one with a 6.5 for my Dad right now to replace his 1998 1500.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Tires are on order!

I went with a complete set of 5 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx in 235/85-16 size.

discovererstmaxx.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke