'02 Tundra noisy steering

stclair

Adventurer
On way to Jackson to pick up my FWC. Some ugly noises happening up front with hard turns at low speeds. I'll take a look at it in the morning, but wonder if anyone has an idea of what look for. Roookie, and away from home. Just had an Icon/Deaver suspension added with Camburg UCAs and Total Chaos steering bushings. Grease? Where if so, and what type? Thanks for any advice!

Derek24

Explorer
Try wd40 on the uni balls to clean them up. Also any grease you can find for the zerk fittings on the arms where attached to the frame. When the balls are new they tend to make noise as the break in. You'll get some popping noises. Hope this helps, good luck with the purchase of 4wc!

stclair

Adventurer
Try wd40 on the uni balls to clean them up. Also any grease you can find for the zerk fittings on the arms where attached to the frame. When the balls are new they tend to make noise as the break in. You'll get some popping noises. Hope this helps, good luck with the purchase of 4wc!

Thanks! I have WD40, so I'll try that now, and pick some grease up at the nearest auto parts store to hit those fittings. I hadn't even considered the UCAs...figured it would be the new steering bushings. Good to know this happened to someone else.

stclair

Adventurer
I cleaned the UCA uniball type joints, and added some dry lube I picked up from a bike shop. Now I'm off the road for the night, and have more noises going on at slow speeds. Almost sounded like CVs or something like that, but nothing while I'm listening outside, and my wife rolls the truck forward or back. Just can't pinpoint the noise. I'll be in Jackson tomorrow, any recommendations for a good shop? May just take it in.

stclair

Adventurer
Are you on the road already? Are you heading to Jackson WY?

Yep, hope to be there this evening. The squeaks I'm not too worried about, but the grinding/pop type noises need to be addressed. I've replaced CVs/axles before, and it sounds/feels a bit like that in the truck. However, those you could hear outside as well...not this. If there's a decent shop in Jackson, I'll see if I can get it checked before loading the camper. Anyone have one they like?

seanpistol

Explorer
CVs usually click when they're bad. Keep the uniballs clean and lubed. They shouldn't pop, but get squeaky. The bushing for the UCA take special grease, gotta loosen the bolt that goes through them before you put grease in. Could the noise be coming from your brakes? A screeching or squealing?

stclair

Adventurer
Well, camper is on, Deaver leaf springs seem to be holding it well. Still have strange noises coming from the front end, but I've decided to leave it until I get back. I have been cleaning/lubing the uniballs frequently, but realize they were a really bad choice for me. They're a bit too needy, and the constant care to keep them happy is no good for long backcountry type trips. Why in the world wouldn't they be sealed or atleast covered? I'll be looking for a replacement and dumping those ASAP.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Any fix to the creaking in your front end? I've been having a helluva hard time finding out the source of mine. Happened with the suspension upgrade, as well.

stclair

Adventurer
Any fix to the creaking in your front end? I've been having a helluva hard time finding out the source of mine. Happened with the suspension upgrade, as well.
Not so much. Comes and goes these days. I keep the Uniballs clean, and add Teflon when it gets bad. Not a huge fan of the UCAs. Seems that should be sealed. Putting off adding my rear locker, and compressor. Maybe I'll see about addressing it then.

CrewServed

"That" guy
Heads up: I cleaned the ball joints and then sprayed WD-40 white lithium all over that mother and let it sit overnight. Squeaking is GONE. Seems this will be a bi-weekly or monthly thing, now.

tyv12

Adventurer
I have total chaos ucas on a 06 DC tundra and the maintenance and but backing off on the bushings is unbearable, I realize now that these are race truck parts not street truck parts and I believe they should be sold that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles