Assembling OME heavy kit coil and strut.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
I bought the OME heavy kit for my 03 DC Tacoma and am having a hell of a time putting the coil and strut together for intalling. I put the spring on a then the dust cover followed by compressing the coil to put the other parts on. I have compressed the coils as much as possible but can't get the strut mounting plate with all the bushings attached. I need help. Do I take them to a shop to be hydrollikly compressed or am I missing something here.

hilux30

Observer
you using the threaded claw 2pc home spring compressor? Stop and take it to a shop have them use a proper wall mounted spring compressor. Those are 600+ lbs springs, I use the home claw-type for my Camry only, be careful...

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
Thanks hilux. My friend came over with those and I stopped him when he was struggling to tighten them. I figured they were more that the compressors could handle when the threads from the strut weren't even past the top of the coil.

bat

Explorer
I installed some spacers on a Tundra one time with the 2 piece spring compressor and will never do that again. :Wow1:

MINO

Adventurer
We had a hydraulic spring compressor - until the day we attempted to install the OME heavies on my Tundra. We'll, it failed/exploded, sheering the hooks right off. We were expecting it so no one was injured. Ended up bringing it to pep boys for assembly. $50 for the pair.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Fwiw many shops that sell/stock OME products will assembly the coil-overs for you. That way you know it is assembled correctly and you don't have to get hurt trying :D

Ramjet

Explorer
Most shops charge around 50 bucks. Better than losing you life. Sometimes doing it yourself has it's limits. This one is mine.

Milo902

Adventurer
I just ran into this same issue yesterday. Tried installing 882's on my roommates truck, got the old coilovers torn down but the OME springs laughed at my spring compressors. Not fun. Luckily we had my old 4Runner coilovers so we put those on. Now it's off to Slee for assembly/alignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior