Best stove to buy?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Another vote for the Coleman Dual Fuel/Peak1 stove. I've been using this style for 25yrs. Sure, the design is a little dated and it weighs a tad more than other compact stoves, but they take a beating and just plain work. My backpacking lantern burns the same fuel so I only need to carry one fuel type.

Whatever you decide to do not go with a butane stove. They work well at sea level during the summer, not so much in cold or altitude.

Yarjammer.
What lantern are you using? I am assuming if it is a backpacking lantern it is light weight and compact.
I have been looking for a small white gas single mantle lantern. I have a large Coleman dual mantle and am looking fo something to keep in the truck/camper all the time.

Darrell

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews/Soto-OD-1R

I bought this stove and love it. It's one of the few not made in China or Taiwan like MSR and Jet boil. It's a work of art and works great. I use it over my Partner Steel stove 80% of the times I need a stove. I've used it a lot and it's as good as new. The butane burns better than propane and is way lighter.
Isn't MSR made in the USA?
It was founded in 1969 by Larry Penberthy and is owned by Cascade designs owned and operated in Seattle Washington.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Isn't MSR made in the USA?
Nope. Look on the box and you will find made in China or Taiwan. Same with snow peak. If you go to a place like Rei and put them in your hand you can tell a difference in quality but when you adjust the flame and look at the threads for the canister you will be glad you looked closely. Buy the Soto. It just feels and operates like any good machinery from Japan. I keep a small can for hikes and a large canister for inside the van. Jet boil is China. I'm so sick of buying China crap twice I avoid it when I can. In 10 years when you are still using a better product you will be happy you researched.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Nope. Look on the box and you will find made in China or Taiwan. Same with snow peak. If you go to a place like Rei and put them in your hand you can tell a difference in quality but when you adjust the flame and look at the threads for the canister you will be glad you looked closely. Buy the Soto. It just feels and operates like any good machinery from Japan. I keep a small can for hikes and a large canister for inside the van. Jet boil is China. I'm so sick of buying China crap twice I avoid it when I can. In 10 years when you are still using a better product you will be happy you researched.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/gourmet-cooking/dragonfly/product

Are you sure it doesn't say the box is made in China or Taiwan? My Dragon fly bag says "Bag made in Taiwan" on a tag but the stove is made in USA...see the link.

Darrell

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/gourmet-cooking/dragonfly/product

Are you sure it doesn't say the box is made in China or Taiwan? My Dragon fly bag says "Bag made in Taiwan" on a tag but the stove is made in USA...see the link.

Darrell

That's cool! I looked at a different MSR stove that was cheaper. It may have been that just the bag or something was China. I'd still check because a lot of times a company will produce an item here and source others elsewhere. That is a neat stove.

JoJo1

Thanks!

Thank you for all the feedback! That's given me quite a few options to look further into,

Much Appreciated! Jo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne