Best stove to buy?

JoJo1

Hiya!

I am in need of a stove, I do quite a bit of mountain walking, doing my ML in June - so it needs to be light and compact ideally

I'm considering jet boil, but are they overrated?

I've been recommended pocket rockets, but others have said they tip over easily..

I'm a student so can't be having more than one for different occasions but equally my loan comes in soon :victory: so I could stretch to something more-costly like a jetboil if they are worth it...?

Any advice on stoves would be gratefully received!

Thanks! Jo

I love the pocket rocket . Lots of miles used. I think the wind is really the only down fall with these stoves, although a wind screen helps.
You can always use the universal cannister base which helps a lot.
image.jpg
Az

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Agreed on the MSR Dragonfly, it's a great stove with the ability to burn all kinds of fuels, and the flame is adjustable down to a simmer. It just so happens I'm selling a MSR Dragonfly stove with the large fuel bottle and new expedition service kit (not pictured). It's posted in the for sale section here on expo if you're interested. Even if you're not, the MSR Dragonfly is an awesome piece of gear.

qa3eha5y.jpg

I have an MSR Dragonfly and yes it burns 3-4 types of fuel. It's light weight, and has that wonderful throttle feature to increase or decrease the flame level which makes a difference at higher altitudes. Also comes with a foldable aluminum wind screen carry bag, and repair kit, although mine has never failed. Highly recommended. Average price is around $129. At most camping outlets. Prolly cheaper at amazon.

I don't care for the jet boil system because I believe the gas bottles are proprietary and become added landfill waste with no way to refill, plus packing out trash, more crap to carry. Lastly it burns only one type of fuel and when the economy collapses. Do you think you will be able to readily get gas bottles or the variance of 3-4 types of fuel? My two cents....
You could also look at the Coleman Peak One models which have the tank built in, plus have throttle control.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

spunky2268

Adventurer
I have a Jetboil, Pocket Rocket, and an Optimus Crux with the folding burner. I like using all three for the purposes I intended their purchases for. The Crux stays in my deployment bag in a Snow Peak 700 cup with canister and gets used the least (fortunately, for if I've deployed, something very bad has happened). It cooks and simmers as good as the Pocket Rocket, and the setup is compact and light. Plus, I can use the Snow Peak cup with other heat sources like an open fire, if needed. The Jetboil is my go-to for day hikes and the like, as it's a complete system. I also have the hanging kit stowed inside for those times when I might have problems setting up on difficult terrain. The Pocket Rocket does the lion's share of the work and lives in the truck. If I had to choose only one for hill walking, I'd pick the Jetboil. Quick to fire, sips fuel pretty well, is a "fully" contained system, and quick to boil water for beverages or freeze-dried meals. Don't discount buying a used stove, if cost is a factor.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I have a jetboil. If you are travelling by yourself and feel good about limiting your cooking options, its great. Being able to have a small box with my stove and food in it is very handy.

You have to modify your menu basically around 2 cups of water. For breakfast this is easy, a bit more difficult for dinner. All of that said, I've made some simple yet delicious dinners that were super easy and clean up was just the jetboil pot.

Besides that, I know a few people that have the jetboil as their dedicated coffee machine. The jetboil works great for this application (although a pricey solution).

The little fuel canister lasts a very long time. I did have issues with it in very cold situations (was like, 4F with windchill, mighty chilly).

However attempting to do something that doesn't involve boiling water is kinda crappy. I have been able to warm up stuff in a frypan over it but it wasn't ideal.

Wait until the REI garage sale. That is where I picked mine up. I was able to buy the jetboil with some missing parts, but found said missing parts in the various bins. Was able to get a setup for under $40.

My other stove is a big two burner coleman that runs off of white gas. Its big yet great. Need pots and pans, though.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I am another MSR Dragonfly fan. Fairly compact, very stable, light weight, field maintainable and durable.
You can simmer a soup or boil water in a coffee pot in a hurry. Flame output isn't affected by temp or altitude. With a windscreen (either of your design or purchased) you can really cut your fuel usage. I use mine with a homemade (you can purchase also) flame diffuser to cook in a 10 inch skillet so the large skillet has more even heating.
It burns several types of liquid fuels.

Darrell

doug720

Expedition Leader
Another suggestion to check out the Coleman Peak1. Heat control is good, it is small and stable, it will hold enough fuel for quite a few meals,which eliminates a separate fuel container, and it is not too heavy.

My vehicle camp box has 2 Peak1's I cook on all the time. Good stove you can pick up used for $25 or so, and they have a dual fuel also which you can burn unleaded vehicle fuel in.

Worth a consideration.

Doug

Attachments

• P1080323.JPG
    P1080323.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 39

mandingo

Observer
I have two Jetboils and love them. They are very handy.
I also have a BioLite stove. Nice if you don't want to bring any fuel with you.
You just burn sticks and leaves etc. It also charges (slowly) USB devices.
It has a battery and fan built in so it creates a cycle effect in the burn area and leaves very little ash.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Another vote for the Coleman Dual Fuel/Peak1 stove. I've been using this style for 25yrs. Sure, the design is a little dated and it weighs a tad more than other compact stoves, but they take a beating and just plain work. My backpacking lantern burns the same fuel so I only need to carry one fuel type.

Whatever you decide to do not go with a butane stove. They work well at sea level during the summer, not so much in cold or altitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz