To fridge or not to fridge?

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Not sure about which way to go so I would like to hear what others did and why?

I am torn between an Engel cooler or an ARB fridge. For the fridge it would be the small one 37qts and would look to do a cooler around the same size. When home I have access to unlimited ice I just have to go get it.

I wouldn't mount the cooler or fridge on a slide as I wouldn't leave it in place all the time.

So what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Jim

Septu

Explorer
If you're doing mostly shorter trips (2 days) then a cooler isn't the end of the world. But I wouldn't give up my fridge for anything. Sure it's small (25L), but it does everything I need.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Just Picked up a 31qt fridge from Truckfridge. It is a rebadged Indel B fridge. I really like it. Shipped quick and gets cold! I use it in the house on AC and keep drinks in it. Fairly light weight (I wouldn't want to carry over long distance but it isn't horrible) and really quiet. I only regret not getting one sooner.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
The truck fridge is almost half the price of an engel or ARB!

So if I go the fridge route do I need to do anything with my battery under the hood? Do I need a dual set up?

Again thanks for the replies

Septu

Explorer
The truck fridge is almost half the price of an engel or ARB!

So if I go the fridge route do I need to do anything with my battery under the hood? Do I need a dual set up?

I ran it with stock batteries in both JKs. If I'm in a remote area I would start the JK at least once a day just to be damn sure you don't drain it, but I've never had an issue, and typically go 1 day+ with the JK parked. But then mine is pretty small.

afbond03

Adventurer
I finally bought a fridge. I ended up going with a 50qrt ARB one because I found one for a smoking deal on Amazon Warehouse Deals. Def. the best thing I have ever bought for a vehicle and camping. I am running mine off my stock battery and like others have mentioned just run the vehicle a little each day. I like the ARB because it will cut off if the battery gets low so in theory you should still be able to crank your vehicle.

Septu

Explorer
I finally bought a fridge. I ended up going with a 50qrt ARB one because I found one for a smoking deal on Amazon Warehouse Deals. Def. the best thing I have ever bought for a vehicle and camping. I am running mine off my stock battery and like others have mentioned just run the vehicle a little each day. I like the ARB because it will cut off if the battery gets low so in theory you should still be able to crank your vehicle.

Mine has the same feature... but damn if I'll ever test that feature out in the sticks unless I'm with other people.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I still just have a cooler, but when youre out for weeks at a time and its over 90 degrees each day it be ones a major pain to find new ice and keep food dry.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
The best thing about a camping fridge (I have an ARB and love it) is while you are home it serves as a full time beer fridge. Best purchase ever.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

skates04

Adventurer

Do you have a link for said deal? :)

lysol

Explorer
All I'm going to say is that it's hard to put a price on something that can open up so many doors to traveling/vacations/camping/etc... Heck, my wife and I could go grocery shopping, buy a bunch of cold groceries and go see a movie on the way home without spoiling anything... lol

ARB50
IMG_3270_zps7581ee0f.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
Not as bling as an Engel or ARB, but take a look at the Edgestars. Mine has served me non stop for the last 5 years. When not in a vehicle, it's plugged in on the back porch keeping drinks cold.

moabian

I haven't bought ice in at least 10 years and would never go back to a regular cooler. I've had Waeco Coolmatics and now use the ARB 63-qt in the JK....dual batteries recommended but not necessary if you are careful. I run dual Odysseys in the Genesis tray. The fridge lives in the Jeep 24/7. I can buy ice cream in the middle of the summer and not have to worry about it melting if I get called out on a rescue before I complete the 26-mile trip home from the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles