Baja GPS Maps w. Sat Imagery for Lowrance

SteeevO

What do you guys generally use for mapping down in Baja?
Ive been heavily involved in making maps for Lowrance Off Road GPS units and have been looking at making a map card with
Satellite imagery of the entire peninsula.

This idea of making a map for Baja originally started with desert racing in mind but then I figured if I'm going to make this map then
I should add data to it that caters to the expedition croud as well. I know some people simply like topo as well, so I can even overlay topo on top of the sat imagery.
In the lowrance units you can turn each type of feature on or off individually as well. that way you can look at just sat imagery with POI's etc or add in the topo, hide the imagery etc.
What do you guys think?
Would any of you guys be interested in something like this?

Grabow

Adventurer
I absolutely would be interested in this. What Lowrance mapping is available now in regards to Mexico, Central, and South America? I need to buy something pretty soon.

SteeevO

Currently, There isn't anything that is using the latest file formats and features for mexico, and nothing for south america that I am aware of. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
What is available for mexico is topo only, no satellite imagery or hill shading. But, This is something that I'm working on starting with Baja.

When are you heading out?

Grabow

Adventurer
We are leaving Colorado at the end of the month, then crossing into Canada (is there good Canadian mapping?) to do the TCAT around late July and probably crossing into Mexico around October/November

SteeevO

There is some Canada mapping but you're the second one to ask about Canada recently.. I'm Starting to think I'm going to have to map all of n america haha . mexico is higher on the list though.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

SteeevO

No, Lowrance is what's most popular in racing and is growing in popularity in the recreational 4 wheeling space as well. Lowrance also has a load of features that aren't offered by anyone else.
I'll have to start a Lowrance overview thread.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

dlh62c

Explorer
I absolutely would be interested in this. What Lowrance mapping is available now in regards to Mexico, Central, and South America? I need to buy something pretty soon.

Have you considered purchasing a Garmin unit?

LifeRemotely did a write up on GPSs and map sets for travel in the Americas.

SteeevO

He never mentions Lowrance as one of the ones to compare too.
Although the mapping options aren't as plentiful at the moment, there are a ton of features on the lowrance unit that are not on the garmins used for off road.

Last edited:

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
Hey SteeevO,

I like the HDS-5 Gen 2. We are wanting something for global purposes for our around the world overland trip. What do you have that would work for us?

Thanks,

SteeevO

I can do custom road maps for anywhere in the world from OSM data.
Also American Lowrance units have a geofence lock on them so they only work in the americas. However, calling the tech line at lowrnace and giving them your units serial number, they can provide you with an unlock code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles