Military surplus storage container

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
^^^M13 NBC Decontamination kit, well the container for one anyway.
http://chemicaldragon.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/TM_3-4230-214-12P.12621132.pdf
Actually would make for a good shower system I think

If that container was ever an operational container, please note at one time it contained:
Diethylenetriamine - 69-71% TLV: 4.2 mg/m3 (1 ppm) (skin)
Sodium Hydroxide - 1.9-2.1% TLV: 2 mg/m3 (ceiling)
Ethylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether - 26.9-29.1% TLV: 16 mg/m3 (5 ppm) (skin)

DS2 is an alkali and with direct contact will corrode tissue, e.g., skin, eye, respiratory mucosa or gastric mucosa. The effects exhibited depend on route of exposure, amount of substance present, and duration of exposure. Health effects can range from mild burns and primary irritation to corneal opacification, severe burns and esophageal stricture.
Sufficient exposure to EGME, a major component of DS2, may cause central nervous system depression and liver damage. Although not definitely established in humans, reproductive effects (including teratogenisis) are also a major concern with this substance. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) recommends that EGME be regarded in the workplace as having the potential to cause adverse reproductive effects in male and female workers.

If that container was ever an operational container, please note at one time it contained:
Diethylenetriamine - 69-71% TLV: 4.2 mg/m3 (1 ppm) (skin)
Sodium Hydroxide - 1.9-2.1% TLV: 2 mg/m3 (ceiling)
Ethylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether - 26.9-29.1% TLV: 16 mg/m3 (5 ppm) (skin)

DS2 is an alkali and with direct contact will corrode tissue, e.g., skin, eye, respiratory mucosa or gastric mucosa. The effects exhibited depend on route of exposure, amount of substance present, and duration of exposure. Health effects can range from mild burns and primary irritation to corneal opacification, severe burns and esophageal stricture.
Sufficient exposure to EGME, a major component of DS2, may cause central nervous system depression and liver damage. Although not definitely established in humans, reproductive effects (including teratogenisis) are also a major concern with this substance. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) recommends that EGME be regarded in the workplace as having the potential to cause adverse reproductive effects in male and female workers.

Yeah I considered mentioning how bad the stuff inside could be but there's no way to know if it was ever filled or if it was just a trainer. So I didn't want to scare anyone. If it had been in use I HOPE the Military would have ensured it safe for the public use (cleaned it) before selling it.

I love and use the military Hardigg cases for all sorts of stuff. The older aluminum ones are stackable and each have 3 latches down either side plus two on the ends, They're water proof and possibly bear proof although that remains to be seen. I turned one into my chuck box for holding all my kitchen supplies another for food ect...

psykokid

Explorer
from reading the above linked PDF it looks like it's a trainer system since the container is black. Here's a snippet:

DO NOT use the green painted, DS2 container for training
The M13 DAP will not be used during training. The M13 Practice DAP, which has a
black training oontainer, will be used during training

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Yeah I considered mentioning how bad the stuff inside could be but there's no way to know if it was ever filled or if it was just a trainer. So I didn't want to scare anyone. If it had been in use I HOPE the Military would have ensured it safe for the public use (cleaned it) before selling it.

Generally, if an item was used for training purposes only, it would have stenciled "Training Purposes Only" on the side. Doesn't mean any particular training item was never used, but it would have to be clean before used in training. Gas mask filters come to mind as not being labeled. If it ever did contain actual contaminants that would be considered hazmat (Hazardous Material) it would have been cleaned or destroyed depending on the requirements for that item. I know on my base, hazmat is very serious. Even fluorescent light bulbs get turned in to hazmat. Oil cans, certain non-reusable rags, and even certain signage gets turned over to hazmat for disposal.

That does not mean any military surplus gear is automatically safe. Sometimes items get "mis-shipped" and who knows how clean those items are. Make sure that if you get something like this, it was sold through a reliable surplus store or supplier.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I have a bunch of these (back in the day they were $2.50 each, or 10 for $20.00)
Yes, in all probability they never had DS2 in them as they are black (training), would have been haz-mat regardless of cleaning, etc, etc.
I just brought up the 'warning' as I use mine for fuel, so no added 'health hazard' but I personally would not take any chance with them for 'human-use'.
BTW- these have a VERY funky lid system with a pick-up tube inside, so not a very easy conversion to a normal fill/use type container.

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
As far as the container being used for training, if it is made out of black plastic, it is the training unit. I have used them many times, and would not personally use it for potable water. It might not be a bad semi portable shower or field vehicle scrubber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles