The Post-Propane Lifestyle

highdesertranger

Adventurer
here in the US it is illegal to refill the disposable cylinders and then transport them. dot regs. it is also illegal to use charcoal bbq's when burn bans are in effect. I am not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. nowadays everybody is doing something that's illegal. highdesertranger

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
here in the US it is illegal to refill the disposable cylinders and then transport them. dot regs. it is also illegal to use charcoal bbq's when burn bans are in effect. I am not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. nowadays everybody is doing something that's illegal. highdesertranger

So, Its not illegal here. And really. Do you think the DOT is going to check to see if a few 1 lb tanks are refilled?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Sorry, I have to take issue with these statements.

1. As much as I'm sure that the folks that make the little cylinders would like for it to be, it is not illegal to refill disposable cylinders and there are many refill kits commercially available and instructions online on how to do it.

2. You can transport refilled cylinders any way that you would a new one. It is, however, illegal to transport them commercially across state lines and in certain states.

3. Charcoal grills may or may not be banned when burn bans are in effect - it depends on the state and lands you are on and the degree of the ban.

As always, google is your friend, or chat with the ranger where you care camping.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
This is a GREAT refill adapter!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV59S1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. As much as I'm sure that the folks that make the little cylinders would like for it to be, it is not illegal to refill disposable cylinders and there are many refill kits commercially available and instructions online on how to do it.

2. You can transport refilled cylinders any way that you would a new one. It is, however, illegal to transport them commercially across state lines and in certain states.

3. Charcoal grills may or may not be banned when burn bans are in effect - it depends on the state and lands you are on and the degree of the ban.

As always, google is your friend, or chat with the ranger where you care camping.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Wrong.

Ive been doing it for years, but it is illegal.

Governed by the NFPA

Its right in the code book.

section 7.2.2.8

http://inferno4.spffa.com/pdf/nfpacodes/nfpa_58.pdf

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
A trade association that doesn't want you to do something doesn't make it illegal. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A trade association that doesn't want you to do something doesn't make it illegal. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet on a state by state basis, once a state has adopted said NFPA code, it IS law.

Good luck finding a state that hasnt adopted it.

Just sayin.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
NFPA is over 100 years old and are the authors and maintainers of more than 300 sets of codes - including the National Electrical Code.

It's not a "trade association".

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
again, Do you really think anyone is going to check your 3 or 4 propane cyls at any time? and how do you know if they are refilled? keep the plastic cap on them. If they start cheking your 3 or 4 propane cyls, your going to have more problems because they are going to find something else wrong somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz