Inflatable Something or Other?

carbon60

Explorer
I'd like to get myself something that will take the wife, small child and myself around small lakes as an accessory to our truck-based setup. I don't need anything too crazy, but it needs to pack down small enough to fit among the existing gear.

Anyone have something similar?

A.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
There are lots of inflateable kayaks that will fit your needs. Just stay away from the budget models. I have a Tributary Sawtooth that might be what your looking for.

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Here's a photo of it but this is the solo model with one seat.
u3y8ygyp.jpg

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

macgyver_ga

Adventurer
Two of my buddies both bought inflatable yaks a couple years ago... Fast forward 2 years to the present and they have hard yaks now and sold their inflatables if that tells you anything. The times we went paddling, It took forever to set them up and take them down while I was ready to roll (or float) in seconds with my hard yak. I would look into a tandem kayak or even a canoe if I were you. While the deflated size seems like a plus, I don't think it's worth the time wasted for setup and takedown. Not to mention, having to worry about airing out the thing to keep it from getting the funk. Get a decent roof rack and saddles and you'll be good to go. That's just my opinion though after experience on trips with my buddies and their inflatables.

Also, an inflated kayak can fly out of the back of a truck on the highway easily if not properly tied down... Lol fortunately for my buddy, his neighbor happened to be the person who found it in the median of the interstate and his neighbor's garage door happened to be open when he drove by. What are the chances of that lol?!?

Gooseberry

Explorer
Alpacka Rafts. Best packable rafts ever.

I have had the sea eagle and it was a pain to set up,and haul but the alpaca is crazy easy and for lake stuff the larger one would be great. My large will fit two close loving people but I'm sure if you give them a call and talk with them they will get you set up. It's a great small American company that I felt great ordering from.

Ya they do set up in five minutes

canyonrover

I love my inflatable kayak (IK) because like you I can take it anywhere. It is always my goto over my hardshell even when we take the raft out. Simple set up and go especially since you say you will be using it from your truck. Get a powered blower for rafts that just connects to your vehicle battery if you don't want to wait to fill by hand (you will still need the hand pump to top off the raft). It really doesn't take that long by hand in my mind. I have a zoic IK. Most have not heard of them. They build IKs for an adventure racing business based in Colorado. They sell both their rental fleet that are lightly used during the year's races or sell you a new one. Both are very reasonably priced. I have the 2 person IK that is based on the Tomcat that Ace mentioned earlier. Great boat. I have taken it on lakes and rivers. As I mentioned it is based on the Aire Tomcat which is a superb boat and materials. The Zoic model is just as bomb proof. As far as carrying three people it has two seats and you can put a third on a soft camp chair as mentioned before. And like you we put our son in his own IK when he was six and he did just fine. So when again when your son gets a little older your move to get him his own boat is a great idea. Then you really need an IK since you are now carrying two boats. Enjoy.

Here is the website for the Zoic IKs: http://gravityplay.com/product-category/kayak-fleet/

Again, don't be scared away by the price. Just because they are lesser priced than other manufacturers such as Aire, NRS, Hyside, etc. the quality is there. I purchased mine five years ago from them and it gets used a lot on the Colorado river for day and overnight trips. No problems what so ever.

Canyonrover

mojave joe

Observer
I just wanna point out these do not fold down to the size of a match book. They usually are the size of a ex-large suit case and all the related stuff;pump, life vests, paddles, dry bags, etc. will be another bag of similar size. Just a thought to ponder..

jruba

Adventurer
I have owned several different kayaks but none of them inflatables , but I have one of this and you can definetly fit to mid size adults and a child , I have taking it to lakes only and its fun , I also have a motor mount and a trolling motor for it ...when I get home I will try to get some pictures of the actual boat ..
68376.jpg

Gooseberry

Explorer
not a custom but they have been building these by hand and use them. When I talked with them about what I was going to use the boat for they gave me ideas and suggestions on what would be good and that the things I wanted could be added later like the cover. I think they have something like 7 employees and all are avid users.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm

Are you suggesting they would build a custom raft for me?

A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles