02pathfinder slow QX4 build..

02pathfinder

Observer
Hey guys,

My name isTyler, and this is my 2nd R50 (hints the 02pathfinder name). Been lurking Here for far too long..

I had a maroon 02 pathfinder, after a small crunch and 150k I decided to retire the pathfinder and buy a honda element. Loved the element, but was determined it was cursed. In 6mo of ownership, it was stolen, cat stolen, wrecked into, towed, loss of v-tec countless problems after the converter was stolen, do to saws all cutting sensors and underside wiring harness..So that was sold off and I found a great 01 infinity QX4 with right around 100k (now about 125k). Believe it or not in my area I was able to find qx4 cheaper than pathfinders.

Being that I live in Indianapolis, In. There isn't a ton of expo fun in the state.. Most of the state if privately owned land. That being said, I am building this with the intentions of travel in the near future.. And why not, it's fun. I am a avid cyclist and own a bike shop so, bicycle friendly is the most important..

So far,
Yakima roof rack,
4 bike trays
Mega warrior basket
Yakima rocket box
Thule 2 bike hitch rack

Just regular maint, and belt changes.

ateruqem.jpg
aqe5epem.jpg
9e2ymamy.jpg

Plans...
Ac lift
Wheels and tires
Auxiliary lighting

Maybe more, this will be slow, but plan to start ordering parts in the near future. Very open to suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nichxestes

Finally someone else from indiana! I also had a maroon pathy, small world. I'm still looking for another one at the moment. But welcome.

marty1977

Adventurer
Tyler nice to have you on the forum its is a great looking truck and actually i have exactly same vehicle but its a Canadian version im also planning to start a build and im looking forward to follow yours. On suggestions side of course it depends how you use your car but taking off the step bars will give you more rugged look and more ground clearance.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Good looking QX4, I'm partial to silver myself :) Check out my build thread for some ideas, but right off the bat I would say take the steps off, throw on some nice tires and wheel it. Also I would go through the suspension and check bushings etc. as they're causing me grief right now that I could have avoided.

As far as a lift, make sure your needs match it, I know my stock pathy on larger tires went nearly everywhere, so do some research before you buy. Your shocks are probably due for replacement too. OME/Bilstein combo all the way in my book.

02pathfinder

Observer
Thanks for the tips,
I have done quite a bit of reading both in the past and recently..

Yes the steps are coming off, the brackets are rusted and soft anyway.. I love the reliability of these r50 platforms, so reliability comes first.. As for wheeling, I have "trashed" many vehicles in my past.. In Indiana, "wheeling" is muddin.. Deep rutted mud holes. Fun, but extremely rough on trucks.

The idea with this will be a travel mobile, with capability for headed west for some off road travel. The rear springs are so soft when I have some luggage and a couple bikes on the back it squats bad, so that makes a great excuse for a lift!

Allof75

Pathfinder
I absolutely understand about lift in that case. I suggest the OME combo- very smooth ride, no top out (in my case), and much better load handling.

Also do you have the part-time or Full Time/Auto transfer case? If part-time (lever on floor/no AUTO setting), then I highly recommend Manual hubs. They save untold amounts of front end wear, increase MPG, and make it so you can use 2wd Low to get out of sticky situations, should you have an issue with the front diff, or want to lay mega burnouts. :smiley_drive:

02pathfinder

Observer
Mine is auto, switch, not lever on the floor. I have looked at the OME in the past, for my old pathfinder. Just seemed as if there wasn't much info on exact lift specs. I like the look of the full 2" that I have seen on trucks with the AC lift

Allof75

Pathfinder
Mine is auto, switch, not lever on the floor. I have looked at the OME in the past, for my old pathfinder. Just seemed as if there wasn't much info on exact lift specs. I like the look of the full 2" that I have seen on trucks with the AC lift

Shucks, well if you need info here's mine: I have OME MD springs all around, with Fleury's (On NPORA) 1" HDPE spacer up front. New KYB GR-2 Struts, and rear Bilstein 4600 shocks. Total lift was exactly 1.75" on all four corners. I think there are really no situations where an AC pathfinder would go somewhere an OME equipped one couldn't. Assuming same tire size and locker situation of course. And you benefit from a smoother ride. I know I sound like a broken record about them, or a salesperson, but I'm truly sold. :)

bushnut

Adventurer
hi guys!
my 2 cents, If I had to do it all again I'd go, IronMan springs with 4x4designs spacers(Fleury's) 1.5 front with Bilstein rear and Old Man Emu struts.

X2 on looking over all the bushings, I'm having issues with those as well. After the lift keep an eye on the CV boots as well

I'd recommend a storage system in the back and maybe auxiliary lights. I'm planning on one on the rear roof rack for backing into dark campsites.
As far as reliable, it almost doesn't get better than this.

If you are not on NPORA yet I highly recommend it. Those guys are a whole heap of knowledge.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Welcome to ExPo Tyler,
I was never too sure about the large trim pieces on the Infiniti model R50 but the interior is way above what I am working with! It is a face that some love and some don't. Im glad to see another R50 here!
I wont give you any suggestions about suspension as I apparently did mine terrible wrong as it is stiff like my maxima but I am looking forward to watching this progress. You seem to have a good starting
plan for it!
`
Cheers

02pathfinder

Observer
Yeah my last r50 was a pathfinder se. So no leather etc. I was not looking for a qx4 but it was cheaper than the pathfinders in my area at the time!

bushnut

Adventurer
hows this? she's a little rough around the edges but then again so am I.

I've got a build thread on NPORA, I'm just to lazy to post it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94