New Discovery Concept looks like a Ford Explorer, can be driven via remote control

RoadRover

Got some info on the Land Rover Discovery "Vision Concept" ahead of the reveal, which I'm going to this evening.

They've certainly gone "streamlined" with the shape, but it's got some kind of remote-control driving function for "tight spots" and technical off-roading, plus seating arrangements that are re-configurable from the touch-screen. Can't wait to see what it can do.

Land Rover Discovery Concept Can Be Driven By Remote, Set Up On Screen

qherayi1w9eytfmftuea.jpg

More information as I get it!

Mack73

Adventurer
Well looks like a rugged discovery is out the window.... and my hope for a suitable Defender replacement keeps going down and down.... :(

swkingston

High Desert Prepper
Excited to see the new vision... though, I'm happy with my LR3. I'll get that one when it is about 8 years old. :)

aek50

Adventurer
jaw drops, blank stare and not in amazement. Very disappointed if this is accurate, at least for a first glance. Already thought the Ford Explorer was an ugly vehicle way to sterile and institutional looking, and this appears to be a carbon copy.

Rubicon John

Observer
Yikes!!! It looks like an electric razor on wheels.

I can't imagine that being a Camel Trophy style truck decked out with racks, snorkel, and a winch. :Wow1:

Eniam17

Adventurer
It doesn't make sense to me for the Discovery series to have more/better technology than the RR and RR Sport. It seemed like this happened when the 2014 Sport came out with arguably better packages than the 2013 full size. I also don't think it should be a surprise to any of us that the explorer shares features with the new generation of Rovers b/c when most of these designs were being thrown around Ford owned Land Rover. It's not like they just came up with these models a few years ago.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I find the exotic plane pictured in the article fascinating but find no fascination whatsoever with this Discovery "concept". None, nada, zilch.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
One of the dangers the auto industry will face is the well known commoditization trajectory of technology. Take smartphones. They are virtually dead as a growth market. Everyone has one and they all have the same features/gismos/apps. Today the service providers are giving away Galaxy S5's, introduced a few weeks back? Buy one, get one free!

Same for automotive technology. The current race mirrors smartphones. iPhones look like Android's. "Discovery's look like Explorers"?

Back to Land Rover. Eventually the new "Apps" will be commoditized and they will need to live on with that realization in mind.

If they move beyond Infotainment, to augmented reality, I think they can.

As for the Explorer like concept, we probably can ignore that. It's a platform for concepts, not a model? In any case LR already said "Defender" class, "Discovery" class and "Range Rover" class. Thinking Less, More, Maximum as far as class and technology. Introducing a Defender class should give them opportunity to reduce technology over the current LR4.

Will you get your D90/D1? ............................. I doubt it.

Time will tell

morrisdl

Adventurer
Even though ford hasn't owned land rover for a few years, I bet this design was already in the works. Ford was just the first to market with it. Ford took a lot of their current designs from Jag, Land Rover, and Aston Martin.

Eniam17

Adventurer
I think they are making up for the past by trying to be ahead of the curve with technology instead of behind it. For example the technology in my 2008 rr sport was arguably way behind for a 65k mark vehicle at that time. Personally I don't care much about all the bells and whistles but I don't fault LR for trying new things.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
So much hate... Isn't this just a concept still?

When was the last time a new generation of Land Rover came out that, stock-for-stock, wasn't more capable than the last?

My two hopes. The 'command' seating position of the current LR3/LR4 is retained and that it also retains the same interior usefulness/configurations as the LR3/LR4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94