New Discovery Concept looks like a Ford Explorer, can be driven via remote control

Mack73

Adventurer
If I recall correctly, the ford explorer concept had rear suicide doors too...

Yup:
Ford-Explorer_America_Concept_2008_photo_07.jpg

Argh. this looks more like a "discovery".... Just put a stepped roof and a split tail gate.

Oh and might as well steal the bronco concept for the defender while they're at it ... :)

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Land Rover Announces Discovery Sport

BlXZq-SCAAAZFnr.jpg

This is the likely replacement for the LR2, a compact SUV due in 2015 with design cues and features from the above Discovery Vision Concept revealed in NY.

Personally, I'm just fine with this being the replacement of the LR2 - which is not a vehicle I would have purchased anyway. Making the weakest link in the lineup more capable just leads me to believe the Disco 5 will be plenty of fun (once I can afford one in 2024).

roverandom

Adventurer
New Discovery Concept looks like a Ford Explorer, can be driven via remote co...

Hey, remember way back when that funny little British truck manufacturer called Land Rover made the most versatile off road vehicles in the world? What happened to them anyway?

I have heard tell of a new manufacturer also called Land Rover but it would seem there is no relation because they only make vehicles for use on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Land Rover Announces Discovery Sport

BlXZq-SCAAAZFnr.jpg

This is the likely replacement for the LR2, a compact SUV due in 2015 with design cues and features from the above Discovery Vision Concept revealed in NY.

That is what I was thinking earlier. A couple of blogs had stated it was either the concept that each variant is based on or closer to the new discovery sport. I would not be shocked if the Discovery 5 is similar in appearance to the new explorer.

I don't know if I agree with the "stolen" design statements. Both companies probably retained rights to the work they collaborated on. Also, I am pretty sure each company helped the other improve. Ford played a big role in the reliability of our newer Land Rover vehicles. I am sure Land Rover gave things back (styling cues, SUV improvements, etc.) The body and styling alone are not what will make it a Land Rover. Concept cars and wholesale model changes take a long time to bring to market. Tooling changes and other manufacturing concerns coupled with the market side (you want to let the current models exist long enough to each be their own thing - with wholesale changes) play a role.

Blueboy

Adventurer
I suspect almost all of the post RRC and the Disco owners are custodians until something breaks that would cost them more than a newer Rover would cost. The old Rover goes into the barn and the Newer one that isn't broken comes in.

Please let me know if you find any 1994 RRC LWB(s) stored nicely without any rust in a barn running or not.

I will be there to gather it asap.

roverandom

Adventurer
I don't know if I agree with the "stolen" design statements. Both companies probably retained rights to the work they collaborated on. Also, I am pretty sure each company helped the other improve. Ford played a big role in the reliability of our newer Land Rover vehicles. I am sure Land Rover gave things back (styling cues, SUV improvements, etc.) The body and styling alone are not what will make it a Land Rover. Concept cars and wholesale model changes take a long time to bring to market. Tooling changes and other manufacturing concerns coupled with the market side (you want to let the current models exist long enough to each be their own thing - with wholesale changes) play a role.

Land Rovers design golden boy Gerry McGovern worked for Ford before heading up the "studio" for LR so it's no surprise the two brands look so similar.

I think it would look much nicer with even larger wheels, a lower roofline and trimmed out in brushed aluminium. Perhaps they could get some design input from Paris Hilton? She knows loads about off road vehicles.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhos

Adventurer
Ha, before you get too excited, remember these are the same chowder heads who tried to bring us the DC100. The offspring of a mini cooper and vogue fling.

the defender will be coming
the defender will be coming

Last edited:

Eniam17

Adventurer
In 10 years there will be threads all over here with people talking about how much they love their Discovery 5, new RR Sport, the new Defender, etc. It's the same thing time and time again every time a new model gets released going back decades (Disco 1 to Disco 2, P38 to MKIII, Series to Defender, ). Yawn......

Remember when a "pickup truck" used to be a simple utility focused vehicle? Now a new silverado or F150 can easily cost 50k with all kinds of electronics, wifi, traction control. All the manufacturers are doing the same thing. Anyone priced out a new Wrangler Rubicon lately? 50k+, electronic this, electronic that, ....

Newsflash: as much as many of us (me included) love boxes on wheels with leaf springs, 60 horsepower, a carb, and no power steering - that stuff doesn't keep auto makers competitive in 2014. Sorry.

Last edited:
I have given up on trying to identify the newer Land Rovers on the road. They have blended in with the looks of the other marque SUVs and the Evoque looks more like a Dodge station wagon than a SUV. I can not longer tell them apart without reading the name badges. And yes I have glanced at Ford SUVs and thought them to be Rangies.

TeriAnn, I am going to second all your comments. I am sticking with my Jeep, even if it means I fit it for an electric motor 25 years from now. These things are just cars now... And you're right on something; the bodies and parts are designed to force people who don't have the time to develop more than basic repair skills to take them in to be fixed, at whatever prices the shops want to charge. I call this "make-work" for the auto industry. The Land Rover thing has completely lost its vision that it was based on. Because of post-war difficulties, they dealt with bombed-out facilities, shortages of war-time materials, even paint in general (which is why the original Series models are in army green only, as it was surplus paint), and the expense of engineering. Land Rover was originally meant to be an agricultural tool, with power take-off options, etc. Later on, it was expanded to be used in different ways, especially off-road. I missed a historic Era of LR's history, even though there are supposedly reliability issues with the Series models (don't take my word for it, it's only what I have read "on the Internet").

But now... It seems Jeep has been the slowest to adopt the "Star Trek" trend of turning vehicles into space-craft requiring the licensed, trained skills of body mechanics, drivetrain technicians, and "drionics (driving electronics)" technicians, meaning you buying a computer for the car and replacing it yourself would be illegal and subject you to revocation of your driver's license by the NTSB's order to your home state to do so. Even replacing light bulbs yourself might become illegal. We have gone nuts, period.

Last edited:

Eniam17

Adventurer
It seems Jeep has been the slowest to adopt the "Star Trek" trend of turning vehicles into space-craft requiring the licensed, trained skills of body mechanics, drivetrain technicians, and "drionics (driving electronics)" technicians, meaning you buying a computer for the car and replacing it yourself would be illegal and subject you to revocation of your driver's license by the NTSB's order to your home state to do so.

Have you seen the new WK2's? Every bit as advanced, electronic, and requiring computer support and dealership service as the current Rover lineup.

Have you seen the new WK2's? Every bit as advanced, electronic, and requiring computer support and dealership service as the current Rover lineup.

I'm sorry, you're right. I'm referring specifically to the Jeep Wrangler line. My LJ does not have power windows, power locks, power rear window, power rear gate latch, power door sealing, power/heated seats, just the basics except for fuel injection, PCM, and electronic odometer, and it's a 2005. I curse anybody beforehand who wrecks it to the point of not being repairable, and I better not have an accident in it.

I recall riding in one of Chrysler's service cars to get to work while I was still living in Houston last year for maintenance. I could not believe that this car, most likely one of their minivans, had powered door seals of some kind. You slide the doors forward, and the doors would retract into the interior. I was shocked that we had gone even further into the space age than I would imagine. Come on! I'm just getting a ride to work! We're not going into outer space!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94