67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

Clutch

<---Pass
Researching options....

Went and looked at fullsize new trucks recently they are nice and all...I dunno they really don't "do it" for me, and for $35-40K what are my options other than a brand new truck? Maybe RMP&O is right about the old iron.

I just can't stop thinking about 70's era Ford F250's for some reason...would love to build up a crew cab, real similar to this.

1978-ford-f-250-pickup-fenders-bedsides.jpg

A Chevy crate engine seems like the best way to go maybe a LS-1, 2 or 3, I want hp/tq in the 350 to 400 range. It absolutely needs to have a manual transmission behind it, as well. I am thinking a NV3500 or 4500 with a short throw kit, to keep it somewhat sporty style of shifting compared to my Tacoma. A front Dana 44 is more than what I'll ever need, try to keep it somewhat lighter over a 60. Do 'glass hood, fenders, and bedsides to reduce weight even more, perhaps even 'glass front doors...it will still be a pig...but trying to get unladen mpg over 15...not sure if I can achieve that. I know my old '76 F250 with a 390 could get 10...so 15 doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
There is guy I see once in a while who has a similar truck. He gave it a full overhaul, including the installation of a Cummin's 5.9 12V and a NV4500 5 speed transmission/transfer case. He also upgraded the axles.

The truck looks, drives and wheels great, but the performance is outstanding! He pulls a big trailer with it and motors up the highway grades. I don't recall the exact mileage he claimed, but I think it was around 18+ truck alone and 10-12 with the trailer. He found a complete Dodge 1 ton for a few thousand dollars and went from there. I know the body work cost more than the drive train!

I like the old iron with a modern twist or two.

Doug

Clutch

<---Pass
I really don't want to do a diesel, would like to stay with gas. I ride dirt bikes, it is nice not carrying two different types of fuel.

Looking at the E-Rod LS3.

Even though I don't want a diesel, found a project truck on CL...I like the 67-72 bump sides too.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/4410129010.html

00m0m_eYsfpHN9kSg_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Speed is your enemy. The aerodynamics on those old trucks are terrible.

I was able to get decent mileage with my old 1978 ford but the mileage always dropped WAY off after about 60mph.
My 1992 Dodge is much the same but the Cummins helps a lot...but speed is still a BIG factor.

Clutch

<---Pass
Speed is your enemy. The aerodynamics on those old trucks are terrible.

I was able to get decent mileage with my old 1978 ford but the mileage always dropped WAY off after about 60mph.
My 1992 Dodge is much the same but the Cummins helps a lot...but speed is still a BIG factor.

Yeah, they are bricks when it comes to aerodynamics. I am moving to Idaho come summer, be exploring the mountains a lot...though it looks like vast stretches of highway
in-between the states up there.

Thinking of buying a new fullsize truck, or do a mild resto-mod instead. Weighing the pros and cons. For $40K...the new trucks don't really get that great of mileage.

65 scout

Old truck with new truck drive train = best of both worlds. New trucks are bricks too but they do have much more efficient engines and in some in many cases more efficient drive trains too I suppose. Modern efi/reliability with the rest of the old school simplicity sounds like a winner to me.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Yeah, go rest-mod. I miss my '78. Maybe not my Magnum P.I. shorts, or the girlfriend, but sure do miss the truck.

image.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Isn't weight the big issue with old iron like that? The old sheet metal was stout. Nowadays they use much thinner metal.

Ford with a Chevy engine? Wouldn't you be worried that the Ford body would try to "reject" that motor? :D

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, go rest-mod. I miss my '78. Maybe not my Magnum P.I. shorts, or the girlfriend, but sure do miss the truck.

View attachment 220889

That pic is beyond awesome!

Isn't weight the big issue with old iron like that? The old sheet metal was stout. Nowadays they use much thinner metal.

Ford with a Chevy engine? Wouldn't you be worried that the Ford body would try to "reject" that motor? :D

Why I am thinking mostly 'glass body panels like in the picture of the '78 Crew I posted. With all the gadgets the new trucks have, guessing the curb weight is about the same??? Haven't really researched too deep yet.

Yeah, I figured I would get slack for the Cheby heart in a Ford...but for crate motors they are hard to beat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are some thoughts on the NV4500 vs. NV3500? I won't be towing heavy, just a moto trailer...though I can see a Flippac or perhaps a FWC being installed.

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
That pic is beyond awesome!

Ha! 1983 , on the way to Chiva Falls, right near the top.

I'd been mowing lawns in the neighborhood (Michigan, not Tucson!) since 3rd grade to buy that truck!

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha! 1983 , on the way to Chiva Falls, right near the top.

I'd been mowing lawns in the neighborhood (Michigan, not Tucson!) since 3rd grade to buy that truck!

The socks really pull that outfit together. :D

Sounds like me and my '76. Mowing lawns and a paper route...it was my dad's which he bought new...so I kinda got a deal. ;)

I see the old Fords running around here from time to time, I can't stop looking at them.

This...

sizeimage.php

plus this:

post-3765-0-53407200-1387858829.jpeg

Last edited:

Quill

Adventurer
I have seen the the fords mounted on Dodge Cummings. I would stick to putting a motor, transmission and wiring harness from a modern Ford truck. Buy a whole salvage truck for parts. It is a lot of work.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
And by the way...gas mileage and chevy crate motors should not be discussed together...:ylsmoke:

njtacoma

Explorer
At high speed the issue is probably more aerodynamics instead of weight.

A modern truck is heavy, back in the 70's there was very little wiring, almost no sound damping material and the sound system weighed 2 pounds including the one speaker in the dash. Now with everything being whisper quiet, and miles of electrical wiring they are crazy heavy. The weight impacts fuel usage on acceleration etc. Aerodynamics impact once everything is moving and the energy to keep it moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles