67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

Clutch

<---Pass
I do ALOT of night time driving so lighting is essential to any of my rigs.

I'll probably do more night driving when I move to Idaho...since they loose day light hours in the winter time. Nothing some Hella Rally 4000's couldn't cure.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I drive my father in law to the airport 3 hrs one way leaving at 2 am so the full trip is in the dark, I do this once every 6 wks. I have hella 500s with 55w HID for my aux lights. they cut a huge ********** hole in the night. which is great because we have more moose per km than any other province.

Clutch

<---Pass
I drive my father in law to the airport 3 hrs one way leaving at 2 am so the full trip is in the dark, I do this once every 6 wks. I have hella 500s with 55w HID for my aux lights. they cut a huge ********** hole in the night. which is great because we have more moose per km than any other province.

Nice. My aux lights on the Taco rarely get used.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Without mine, I would probably be out a couple of jeeps now. They have saved my *** numerous times as I saw the animals well before I got to them on the roads, if I never had them, I would have been close to hitting the moose. They are faster than people realize.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Clutch...I am the internet lore you speak of. My LS2 66 Chevelle routinely gets 23 mpg when road tripping. If it's around town and I put my foot into it more I get 17mpg. I love the LS engines.
If I were building that ford, I would think real hard and read a lot about a diesel. Only because for me, I want it to tow a camper with and I'm not sure if the LS engines will have the torque I desire for towing the hills in Arizona. I do think the LS would tow it, just not like a diesel. But dang is diesel expensive!
If I weren't towing a camper, I would absolutely do a LS. Lots of power.
I hope you build this! You got me dreaming!

Clutch

<---Pass

Not bad for a starter. Body is Rhino-lined though...not something I want, would have to get another body.

Clutch...I am the internet lore you speak of. My LS2 66 Chevelle routinely gets 23 mpg when road tripping. If it's around town and I put my foot into it more I get 17mpg. I love the LS engines.
If I were building that ford, I would think real hard and read a lot about a diesel. Only because for me, I want it to tow a camper with and I'm not sure if the LS engines will have the torque I desire for towing the hills in Arizona. I do think the LS would tow it, just not like a diesel. But dang is diesel expensive!
If I weren't towing a camper, I would absolutely do a LS. Lots of power.
I hope you build this! You got me dreaming!

I knew I read it somewhere...here or on a ProTouring forum. oooh, LS Chevelle, nice! I should of kept mine...

Yeah lotsa pros and cons. I was looking at the L92 6.2 Vortec Max truck engine...it "might" get the mileage I desire. I was ready to buy a Tundra...and they get 13/17 if you're lucky. Reading on the GM forums the L92 gets similar. I was ready to live with the mileage in the Tundra...if I could get the same in an old Ford, I would be happy.

I don't want the 12V Cummins...too loud. I am starting to be keen on listening for them in traffic now. The cure it seems a common rail 24V....however it gets more complex, and a heck lot more money to fix when injectors and fuel pumps fail. Sure it will pull better mileage...but since diesel cost more...might be a wash or even costing more in the long run.

It most likely will get a Four Wheel Camper...I was thinking a Flip Pac, but since we are moving to Idaho...the FWC makes more sense to me. There is always a possibility of a trailer too...so a Cummins 6BT...starts making sense again. Then again (ha!) My buddy's Silverado with the 5.3 pulls his 19' travel trailer just fine, the L92 would be more than enough for my needs. It would be a FWC with a small moto trailer...or a TT with the dirtbikes in the bed. Of course I can run out and buy a Silverado that has everything I want, but the manual trans and a vintage body, all you do is turn the key... then there is that. :rolleyes: :D ;)

Cummins is supposed to have their new 5.0 V8 as a crate engine...who knows how much that thing will cost though, nor what mileage it will get. Wonder if you have to add a DEF system to it???

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
IH makes a few diesels, one was even put in Fords during the 90's. Have you looked into those? I know a guy with a mid-90's full sized Ford with the IH and he absolutely loves it. Been extremely reliable for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_IDI

Or older Duramax?? I think the older ones can be had for far less than they used to be going for.

Cheers

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
IH makes a few diesels, one was even put in Fords during the 90's. Have you looked into those? I know a guy with a mid-90's full sized Ford with the IH and he absolutely loves it. Been extremely reliable for him.

Or older Duramax?? I think the older ones can be had for far less than they used to be going for.

Cheers

I have a very good client who's son owns a diesel repair shop...I could go bend his ear.

The 7.3 seems like the most popular of the IH engines. EDIT: Research is showing not good power (stock) and "ok" mileage. Might as well do a gasser.

Duramax has cross my mind as well.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehicles/131-0604-1972-ford-f350-power-stroke/

131_0604_02_z+1972_ford_f350+passenger_side_view.jpg

131_0604_03_z%2B1972_ford_f350%2Bengine.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
A 7.3L can easily, safely- get 400hp and 800 lb feet while getting 15-20 mpg. Can't do that in a gas job.

Oh I know...why I said (stock) and honesty don't need 800 ft/lbs of torque...that is beyond over-kill...I can get what I want with a gasser...sorry I didn't explain myself better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94