67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You're probably right Ian (and the other diesel fans)...the 6BT is arguably the best option...and I know it. Just trying to think outside the box.

I like the box. Sometimes it's good to think inside it... :costumed-smiley-007

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
1035_hp_Ford_inline_6jpeg.jpg

I had a 300 5spd in my plow truck this winter. Great engine. EGTs were a bit lower than the one in the pic though!

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I had a 67 bronco with a 302, c4 auto and 4.88 gears. It got 9 mpg on the highway on 35 inch tires. I put in a 5.0 with EFI and an 4r70w overdrive transmission. Highway rpm dropped from 3k to about 2200, mileage got to 11 mpg. Aero dynamics and weight, as well as friction all add up I. Those older rigs

memphisrain

One thing I haven't seen mentioned (may be I missed it sorry) is the t-case output on a Chevy t-case vs. the Ford. All of the older Chevy 5 speeds were passenger side drop, IIRC. I believe the newer 5 form the 2000+ trucks drivers side drop, but pretty hard to find. Of course, that's probably a moot point, if you're going with an Atlas

I'd consider a 351W and a ZF trans from a mid-90's F-series. With a good tuneup my 96 Bronco I'd get 16-18 on the highway, even with the automagic trans. Those motors were all bullet proof 300 I6, 302, 351, 460, etc... hard to go wrong with one of them, IMO. Fuel injection wiring is a piece of cake, just get the harness and computer from the donor. You can also use your cable driven speedometer off of the t-case.

I'd go Cummins, if it were me, but I understand the reasons you don't want to. The Cummins motors are rattle traps, unless you get into a common rail.

My opinion... worth what you paid for it...

Clutch

<---Pass
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (may be I missed it sorry) is the t-case output on a Chevy t-case vs. the Ford. All of the older Chevy 5 speeds were passenger side drop, IIRC. I believe the newer 5 form the 2000+ trucks drivers side drop, but pretty hard to find. Of course, that's probably a moot point, if you're going with an Atlas

Thanks for the info...already thought of that if I would go with a GM engine. Atlas cures that problem.

I'd consider a 351W and a ZF trans from a mid-90's F-series. With a good tuneup my 96 Bronco I'd get 16-18 on the highway, even with the automagic trans. Those motors were all bullet proof 300 I6, 302, 351, 460, etc... hard to go wrong with one of them, IMO. Fuel injection wiring is a piece of cake, just get the harness and computer from the donor. You can also use your cable driven speedometer off of the t-case.

I have been looking at those engines....(so many ways to skin a cat ;) )

I'd go Cummins, if it were me, but I understand the reasons you don't want to. The Cummins motors are rattle traps, unless you get into a common rail.

My opinion... worth what you paid for it...

That is one the main reasons I don't want an early Cummins...I know the noise would drive me up the wall. The common rail...while not as popular of a swap would cure that.

Clutch

<---Pass
I love this! icon's cummins dodge crew.

That is pretty bad ********, that truck has great lines. The Projector/LED headlights bug me for some reason.

This one has a Cummins in it...dig the late model mirrors...not crazy about the rims, Hummer H2's would be better imo. Perfect stance though.

10150602_10152378429109630_2248312717313574466_n.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
That is pretty bad ********, that truck has great lines. The Projector/LED headlights bug me for some reason.

This one has a Cummins in it...dig the late model mirrors...not crazy about the rims, Hummer H2's would be better imo. Perfect stance though.

haha&#8230;I like the rims. Perfect stance, perfect color. Love the understated mirror mod.

I agree on the Icon Dodge. I reaallly want to like that rig, but some of the details like those jumping spider eye headlights/running lights, etc. were kind of disappointing.

Clutch

<---Pass
haha&#8230;I like the rims. Perfect stance, perfect color. Love the understated mirror mod.

I agree on the Icon Dodge. I reaallly want to like that rig, but some of the details like those jumping spider eye headlights/running lights, etc. were kind of disappointing.

The rim size on the Ford isn't bad, (I like it) I am guessing they are 18's...which I normally don't care for. Just a tad too blingy for me. Mirrors are '92-96 IIRC

Spider Eyes...that is a good one, I was trying to think what they reminded me of...I was thinking insect eyes...spider is much better.

Not sure if they work well, the Euro style that LMC Truck sells look pretty trick.

0067.jpg

It is like the Broncos they do...the headlights ruin it for me...that and the flat paint [powder coat] doesn't seem to work on the Bronco like it does on the FJ's.

I dig this color...needs to be shiny for me.

10262250_10152359352729630_1119000985308450666_n.jpg

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

awesome. damn. another project to do.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
the lights on the icon are function before form. they are bright and work. jw speakers. You could use truck lite there for less of a bug eye look. Which is what I would do.

Clutch

<---Pass
the lights on the icon are function before form. they are bright and work. jw speakers. You could use truck lite there for less of a bug eye look. Which is what I would do.

I am sure they work great, I don't do much driving at night though, because I like to sight see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94