2006 F350 Superduty Build

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
So, storage is somewhat hard right now. Not a lot of interior space for storage.

So, I got these free from my Father-in-law. I don't know if I like the one on the bedside, that will probably be taken off.

I just need a place to store my straps, tools and winching stuff.

1604729_10152084594495028_4528610900172458867_n.jpg

10157135_10152084592985028_6851996968769700328_n.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
My dream now is to level it, and figure out how to get a shortbed on it. I need to shorten the bed and frame about 16". Then move the axle forward and shorten the driveshaft. anyone ever done that?

memphisrain

My dream now is to level it, and figure out how to get a shortbed on it. I need to shorten the bed and frame about 16". Then move the axle forward and shorten the driveshaft. anyone ever done that?

I've got the same truck, except with a V10, and I've also thought about shortening it. I think the easiest way would be to find a donor in the yard and pull the parts from it: Bed, fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, e-brake cables, and driveshaft. Take the section from the straight part of the frame under the rear of the cab, weld her back up, swap the parts, and be on your way.

This is just with a cursory glance under the truck...YMMV...

I'm also not sure how much of an advantage you will gain by doing it, unless it's purely for aesthetic reasons, which I agree the short bed trucks look better. However in the bush, I don't think the 1.5' less overall length is going to make much difference in terms of where you'll be able to go or not go. They are still huge trucks and will always be pigs off road... I plan on packing a dirtbike if I want to go somewhere that's really rough and remote...

Last edited:

theBostonianX

Adventurer
A custom DS should be under a grand.

Chopping the sheet metal might look funny. Weld together a metal frame to create a flat bed.

Then the possibilities are endless.

Bars to mount an RTT, side cabinets, extended fuel tank, spare tire mount, light bars......

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

jdinevens

Adventurer
A custom DS should be under a grand.

Chopping the sheet metal might look funny. Weld together a metal frame to create a flat bed.

Then the possibilities are endless.

Bars to mount an RTT, side cabinets, extended fuel tank, spare tire mount, light bars......

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I'm having one made right now and its like 750 plus shipping for a 72 inch CV 4" steel DS....

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Well, my oil cooler or EGR is leaking coolant. Order parts today. Looks like it's gonna suck this weekend

98dango

Expedition Leader
A short bed is nice. You can make yours a short bed but honestly its still long. You really will not notice much difference. There just big trucks no matter what. But as you just got it and are most likely still paying on it don't cut it in half till its paid for finance company tend to frown on it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You're vacuum hubs failed? Likely the outer axle seals. I cut mine off last time they popped off. Did you have to cap off the vacuum line? Mine are manual. A few of the Superdutys I looked at had the vacuum hubs and I was just going to get rid of the vac lines and use them manually. I like old school.
-
I'll never go back to a short bed. I can double stack 8 Stanley 55g fatmax totes and still have room for other things. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-037025H/202300294?N=5yc1vZ1f7 I can load all those totes, with all of my camping gear and hobby gear and strap 'em down in 20min. And then there's my ramps, Ducati 1199S, DRZ400S, etc.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I've been using my hubs manually. I haven't looked under it to see if the line is off. i have hubs that can be set in auto or locked

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Make sure you do a VC-9 flush for about 3 hours or you stand a chance of clogging up your new oil cooler. When you refill, distilled water with your coolant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles