Pelican ProGear Elite vs Yet?

TG Smith

As the Title suggests, I'm weighing the two against each other and plan to purchase one for an upcoming trip. I have Pelican cases I use for other things, but no experience with their Coolers.

I'm looking for a Cooler for 3 - 4 day trips and looking at the 45Qt Yeti vs the 35Qt Pelican. Why a 45 vs a 35? They seem to have almost the same useable interior space and should work for the size I'm envisioning.

Pro/Con:
1. Price - Yeti is more expensive;
2. Weight - Yeti is lighter;
3. Other -
- Aesthetics, I think the Yeti wins;
- Top cage is included in the Yeti and it looks like you can put in two if you'd like, only one in the Pelican. Cage is extra for the Pelican.

Any experience with either? All opinions welcome and appreciated!

screwball48

Explorer
Loving my pelican 35q. Just need to get somewhere to actually put it to use. Yeti has a more svelte appearance. Pelican has more user friendly latches, my two year old son opened them this afternoon. One of the guys I work with has a Yeti and said that my pelican felt lighter to him.

husker77c

I have the roadie cooler from Yeti and I just bought the 45qt Pelican. The Yeti in my opinion is not worth the money at all. I work my coolers pretty hard (south Texas oil field) so I have some experience with both. The best I've gotten out of the yeti in hot weather (90*+) is a day and a half of ice retention. The pelican which I've been using a lot more is averaging 2.5-3.5 days. After 3.5 all the ice is mostly gone but it's still super cold. The pelican is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty plus it's cheaper. I think you can tell which one gets my vote.

TG Smith

I have the roadie cooler from Yeti and I just bought the 45qt Pelican. The Yeti in my opinion is not worth the money at all. I work my coolers pretty hard (south Texas oil field) so I have some experience with both. The best I've gotten out of the yeti in hot weather (90*+) is a day and a half of ice retention. The pelican which I've been using a lot more is averaging 2.5-3.5 days. After 3.5 all the ice is mostly gone but it's still super cold. The pelican is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty plus it's cheaper. I think you can tell which one gets my vote.

Thanks Husker!

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
Theese two manufacturers are really cool and impress people. But, there are a couple of things to remember.
1. Cost. Redicuously Expensive.
2. Check out some holding temp tests. Not all that impressive considering number 1.
3. Weight. The pelican is 32 lbs and the yeti is 24 lbs. In my opinion, a cooler of this weight and size should come with casters.
4. Space. They are HUGE for how little they hold.
5. See number one.

Let me say it again. I am impressed how they market their produts and how folks migrate to them. But, they are way overpriced in my opinion.
The cool factor is HUGE in the market place. Somehow the stickers on vehicles make people want to go buy one.

screwball48

Explorer
Well now I feel completely let down. I bought the hype and paid all that money to find out that i was ripped off. MY COOLER DID NOT COME WITH A STICKER. If I had known they came with a sticker I would not have bought mine. :( Such is life.

MTaco

Adventurer
31nX3NkygtL.jpg

I own a 65qt Pelican and these stainless steel pans fit perfect. A lot cheaper than buying their basket. They will work with the 35qt as well.

Ramjet

Explorer
With price of the Yeti or Pelican plus filling it with ice over a 12 month period, you could easily buy a fridge freezer. I understand the concept, but they are gigantic.

husker77c

With price of the Yeti or Pelican plus filling it with ice over a 12 month period, you could easily buy a fridge freezer. I understand the concept, but they are gigantic.

This is good advice. I love my Pelican but it does get tiresome havin to run to town every few days for more ice.

Figure $10/week for ice X 52 weeks and the $300ish for a cooler and you just bought a fridge.

I'm figuring out now how to financially swing an ARB. When I get that I will be able to use the ARB in the cab with my food and a few drinks and then just use the Pelican in the bed with more drinks and bottled water. That way it's not critical that I get ice every few days.

husker77c

Don't forget Brute. Cheaper than Yeti and Pelican, made in the US, better handles, thicker insulation, and 7 day ice retention.

Www.bruteoutdoors.com

Yes, I'm a dealer.

I'm not trolling here I promise. :)

How do these manufacturers come up with the ice retention times and what are the standards for the test?
For instance do they consider it to be ice retention if after 7 days there are only a few small slivers of ice in a pool of cold water?

Or are you supposed to have more ice than water?

I'm legitimately interested in knowing because I researched all the big name coolers before buying my Pelican and I am not seeing what I would call 7 days ice retention. It's miles ahead of the Yeti like I mentioned but still only 3-4 days before I worry about my stuff getting warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94