Best full size gas mpg truck

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
For a van, that's not bad actually. Especially if its loaded down. A diesel might getter better mileage, but not by much when it comes to cost per mile these days. Maybe you should look into running it off of used cooking oil?

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Maybe you should look into running it off of used cooking oil?

I almost went there in a previous post but choose not to... BUT since you brought it up :) an IDI will burn damn near anything!

I wish they made a tiny version of the M35A2 motors...that would be awesome

Clutch

<---Pass
For a van, that's not bad actually. Especially if its loaded down. A diesel might getter better mileage, but not by much when it comes to cost per mile these days. Maybe you should look into running it off of used cooking oil?

Thought days are gone? Isn't most restaurant waste oil under commercial contract these days?

mapper

Explorer
The answer to this is easy...though not a full-sized pickup. The answer, however, is 2wd Chevy Astro Van. You can get up to 20 mpg in the AWD version if you keep it near 70 and don't lift it. The 2wd should easily get you 20 mpg. Probably better if you keep highway tires on it, and drive conservatively. 2wd can be found by the bucketload in your price range. Stealth camping in the back is easy. Probably smaller than your current van but if my GF, myself and 3 full size dogs can pull it off, in winter, you can manage a surf trip easy. Bonus, most already have a rack on top for your boards.

By the way, as you probably know. Stealth camping is much easier to pull off when you can exit the driver or passenger door as opposed to climbing out of the tailgate of a pickup. You can also fit boards inside an Astro easily too. Plus many have rear heat and A/C which is awful handy for cold/hot weather and quickly drying out gear.

I'm serious. An Astro will suit you very well. Plus for days you want to pull major highway miles, they have no problem running at 85 mph all day long and can pull steep, long grades without much trouble. Look at 2003-2005 models for the best build...namely 4 wheel discs, and multiport fuel injection. The 4.3, as others have mentioned, is a pretty damn good motor. Mine is at 216k with VERY little maintenance and it runs like a top. There's a reason contractors love these vans.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94