f150 4x4 info needed

Wildcat

Adventurer
im looking at 97 - 03 f150 4x4's on cl. some have a floor shift xfer case, same dont. whats the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNay

Adventurer
The floor shift models engage the transfer case via the floor shifter. The push button models use an electric controlled actuator to engage the transfer case. I believe internally there is no difference between transfer cases. On both styles the hubs are vacuum actuated so even with the floor shifter you still don't have a true mechanically engaged system.

Personally, I don't care for the design of the vacuum actuated hubs on Fords.

98dango

Expedition Leader
The transfer case are similar. I am in the middle Of swapping to a floor shift. Shift motor and modules are getting expensive.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The only difference between the two is one is shifted by manual lever and the other uses a motor. To switch from pushbutton to manual, you simply have to remove the electric motor and hook up a lever and shift linkage. At least, it is that easy on older model Ford trucks. I hear of guys doing this mod to Broncos all the time. Personally, I like the pushbutton shift, especially in winter. Easier to use with snow and ice patches all over the road. Granted, its not as manly as a floor shift, but I'm secure enough in my manhood. lol. Besides, the lever may get in the way of my custom center consol.

Wildcat

Adventurer
I should have worded the question differently. I understand how it works. Thats why i want a manual shift so i dont have another electronic device to replace.

What i meant to ask was, what model has manual shifter? Is the king ranch model electric while the xl/xlt is manual? I have seen the same year model truck (craigslist pics) have either method of xfer case shifter.

Thanks

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
97-03 trucks had it as an option. I believe If you wanted the shifter on the floor you would get it. If not, it was electronic. Also, I think the lower end model trucks came with the shifter on the floor.

You thinking of buying one? Im selling mine soon!

Wildcat

Adventurer
im window shopping right now. i got about 5 more months of saving to buy my wife a new-to-her suv. then im gonna sell my 4runner and get a truck. ive settled on either an f150 in these years or a first gen tundra. you got a build thred?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles