1991 Ford Bronco buildup

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
For a vehicle that weighs in about 3200 lbs. empty, made before 1990 and abused as you say, 14 mpg sounds pretty good. It just depends on how and where you drive it. City driving kills gas mileage, but driving down the highway, I can usually get 20 mpg or better.

82fb

Adventurer
For a vehicle that weighs in about 3200 lbs. empty, made before 1990 and abused as you say, 14 mpg sounds pretty good. It just depends on how and where you drive it. City driving kills gas mileage, but drivi.ng down the highway, I can usually get 20 mpg or better.

I knew the inline 6 got better mileage than my 5.0, but 20 is way better than I had expected. I might have to keep my eyes open for one for a daily driver.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I knew the inline 6 got better mileage than my 5.0, but 20 is way better than I had expected. I might have to keep my eyes open for one for a daily driver.

I get the 20 MPG with a 5.0L. :D Not that the I6 can't do as well or better. Just clarifying. All you need to is keep the fluids clean and the lead foot off the pedal.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
For a vehicle that weighs in about 3200 lbs. empty, made before 1990 and abused as you say, 14 mpg sounds pretty good. It just depends on how and where you drive it. City driving kills gas mileage, but driving down the highway, I can usually get 20 mpg or better.

I say that mileage is great. It has a 351 and a c6 tranny which means it is only a 3 speed and probably 3.73 out back so 14mpg is great. I also think 3200 hundred pounds is a little light it should be closer to 5000 pounds.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Sorry did some further research a stock 91 bronco with stock size tires is 4750 with no gas. Add a full tank of gas gear you and larger tires you are well over 5000 pounds

4x4junkie

Explorer
How tough are the Rancho drop brackets that you used? I've heard that on most lifts with TTB, its always the drop brackets that provide the weak link and break/bend. Did you have to reinforce them at all? Granted, I don't plan any serious wheeling/rock crawling/jumping in it, but the roads in OK are pretty rough. Its no exaggeration when I say that I've been on dirt roads smoother than the highways around here.

For some reason I had nothing but bad luck over & over & over again with numerous different Rancho products on mine (drop brackets among them). I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say I have no desire to buy anything from that company again.

Skyjacker on the other hand, I've had almost zero issues with. Not only do they make the brackets in their Class II kits considerably wider where they mount to the frame (eliminating issues with cracking & bending due to leverage), I recall they also "preset" their coil springs (fully compressing them to coil-bind) in addition to shot-peening, which is said to eliminate sagging over time (it seems to work... The SJ coils I replaced the bagged-out Ranchos on mine with have maintained the same height with over 7 years of even harder use).

If you decide to raise it, you'll want to do your homework regarding the steering.
For reasons unknown, there seems to be no major player in the industry that provides a proper steering correction in a 4" or taller suspension kit for these trucks (unfortunately Skyjacker too). This leaves the steering linkage pulled up at a steep angle relative to the suspension causing problems with handling and wiping the tread off tires (and may be where some of the myths about the suspension stem from, being this is something so commonly seen on them together with owners not understanding what's happening).
Oddly, Skyjacker does make a more appropriate drop pitman arm available, yet they've chosen not to include it in their kits, you have to buy it separately (pt# FA600). Sometimes you may be able to get a retailer to substitute this arm for the one that comes in a kit, but you're still left having to ask for it.

A few years back I wrote a page on this topic for the Ranger/Explorer/BII guys, but the principles apply just the same to your FSB. Something additional you can do on yours is flip the tierods up to the top of your steering knuckles, which further helps straighten out your linkage once you've raised it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Got some new hood gap mount CB antenna mounts in today, with springs. Won't be able to put them in till next week, but they look like they'll solve my current problems with tuning and hitting stuff. Both sets came from firestik so I know they'll work with the antenna I got, also from firestik.

I also picked up a hook saver for my winch from the local 4WheelParts store. Should keep my front bumper looking nice and clean.

attachment.php

Last edited:

east_tn_81

Adventurer
For some reason I had nothing but bad luck over & over & over again with numerous different Rancho products on mine (drop brackets among them). I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say I have no desire to buy anything from that company again.

Skyjacker on the other hand, I've had almost zero issues with. Not only do they make the brackets in their Class II kits considerably wider where they mount to the frame (eliminating issues with cracking & bending due to leverage), I recall they also "preset" their coil springs (fully compressing them to coil-bind) in addition to shot-peening, which is said to eliminate sagging over time (it seems to work... The SJ coils I replaced the bagged-out Ranchos on mine with have maintained the same height with over 7 years of even harder use).

If you decide to raise it, you'll want to do your homework regarding the steering.
For reasons unknown, there seems to be no major player in the industry that provides a proper steering correction in a 4" or taller suspension kit for these trucks (unfortunately Skyjacker too). This leaves the steering linkage pulled up at a steep angle relative to the suspension causing problems with handling and wiping the tread off tires (and may be where some of the myths about the suspension stem from, being this is something so commonly seen on them together with owners not understanding what's happening).
Oddly, Skyjacker does make a more appropriate drop pitman arm available, yet they've chosen not to include it in their kits, you have to buy it separately (pt# FA600). Sometimes you may be able to get a retailer to substitute this arm for the one that comes in a kit, but you're still left having to ask for it.

A few years back I wrote a page on this topic for the Ranger/Explorer/BII guys, but the principles apply just the same to your FSB. Something additional you can do on yours is flip the tierods up to the top of your steering knuckles, which further helps straighten out your linkage once you've raised it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

Some flip there tierods even on stock suspension just to gain some clearance.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Not much of an update this week. Didn't really do anything other than buy an ARB snatch strap for my recovery kit.

$(KGrHqR,!rIFF0IQtmm+BRl!N+hGF!~~60_1.JPG

Hopefully, I'll have the new antennae set up and I won't have to worry about hitting anything with them anymore. If this doesn't work, I'm gonna go with a rear bumper setup since that's the one thing I haven't tried.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Finally got around to remounting my dual antennae yesterday. Looks a little goofy, but at least I won't be hitting anything with them anymore. I was also able to put on the springs and I'm glad I did. I ended up driving through a wind storm last night and driving sideways to the wind, the antenna were being pushed almost all the way over! I'm pretty sure if I hadn't made the switch, the wind would have ripped the gutter mounts, along with the gutters, right off my truck!

Oh, and this new setup really improved my SWR reading from 1.5 to 1.3 so I can't really complain. I'm thinking about changing it again later, by moving one antenna to the rear and leaving the other up front. See if that balances out the look any, but for right now, this works.

Anyways, here are the pics for ya'll to enjoy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm thinking about changing it again later, by moving one antenna to the rear and leaving the other up front. See if that balances out the look any, but for right now, this works.

Probably not a good idea.
Purpose of dual antennas is to strengthen the range your radio signal in a direction forward & behind the vehicle (at the expense of range off to the sides). If you put your antennas front & back, your signal will be the opposite of that (going more off to the sides) and you won't have much range behind or in front of you (where people on the highway you might want to talk to would most likely be). Just FYI.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Probably not a good idea.
Purpose of dual antennas is to strengthen the range your radio signal in a direction forward & behind the vehicle (at the expense of range off to the sides). If you put your antennas front & back, your signal will be the opposite of that (going more off to the sides) and you won't have much range behind or in front of you (where people on the highway you might want to talk to would most likely be). Just FYI.

I get what you're saying, but I don't plan on using this explusively on the highway. I'll need to talk to people behind me as well while on the trail. Maybe to warn them about impending pit falls? But that's a ways in the future anyways. I'm not gonna move it till I have a new bumper with swing out tire carrier. I'm actually planning on using the mounting points for the stock tire carrier as the CB mounts. Or maybe, I'll add a 3M radio?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I had to perform emergency open part surgery on the engine today. Nothing real major, but my harmonic balancer bit the dust today while making a snack run. Actually, I think its been going bad for a while and just now, the weight had completely separated from its mount on the crankshaft. Fortunately, I live near a couple of parts stores. I was able to get it swapped out for a new one in only a few hours. Its actually running better than ever now, which is why I think its been going out for a while. The only balancer was probably messing with my timing before too, whenever I tried to reset the timing. Now I adjust the timing and its running smooth as silk.

Unfortunatly, this ate into my upgrade budget enough that it will be a few months before I get that roof rack on. I was hopping to get it on by June so I could drive it home like that, but I doubt that will happen. Unless someone wants to give me $300?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Today, I was reminded of why I hate computer controlled vehicles. I was trying to chase down some electrical gremlins because my engine has been running rough lately and spewing codes like no tomorrow. Finally, after eliminating everything else, I opened up the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), the ONLY computer on my rig and discovered it is fried. Fortunately, the Bronco really is FORD TOUGH and it still runs, despite the one computer it has being friend. So I just need to source a replacement and, if I'm lucky, that will take care of ALL of my gremlins.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles