Crew Chief
A couple more ideas. No rubber though.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, I finally got around to fixing my winch after the original control box rusted out on me. I never even got it submerged. It was all rain damage. Hopefully the new waterproof box off a newer gen winch in the same series will work out better as far as water goes. It seems to work great on the winch. I got it wired up. I just need to fabricate some kind of mouning bracket for it now. I'm also debating on moving it up under the hood, higher off the ground and away from any potential water issues, but that can wait.
attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I can't believe I didn't update this. I'm in the process of swapping out my old, worn out springs and replacing them with 2" lift springs. So far, I've gotten the back springs in and I have to say, I like the ride a lot better now. I still need to do the front springs and once that is done, shop around for some new shocks. I'm waiting till all the springs are in so I can measure the actual ride height and get the right set of shocks all around on the first go. If anybody has any recommendations on a set of shocks that would be great on a rig that will spend 80% of its time on rough pavement (aka, Oklahoma roads), I'd appreciate it.
Here, you can really see the difference between the old and new springs. (Yes, I swapped the wedge.) I have had zero issues with clearance or hoses so far. Looking forward to getting everything else done and taking her for a test ride on some muddy trails I know.
attachment.php

A little before and after.
Before.
attachment.php

After
attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I also just realized I never did an update on my core support swap.

Finally got back to work on the bronco. Mostly I got tired of staring at the "new" core support I got for it a year ago sitting in my bedroom, so I went ahead and FINALLY got it installed today. It took a bit longer than I expected, but wasn't too hard. Mostly just trying to get the old body mounts off.

Got the old support out. Everything is just hanging from the engine hoist at this point. Didn't have disconnect or drain anything, which is a GOOD thing.
attachment.php

Here you can see just how bad the rot had gotten.
attachment.php

Finally managed to wrangle the new support in place and started to shim it up using the engine hoist to lift it till the body lines looked straight. Managed to make it look pretty decent actually.
attachment.php

Starting to put things back together now. Not really sure how I like the white paint, but its better than nothing.
attachment.php

All back together now. Looking good. Nice and solid now too.
attachment.php

I also managed to find a spare key that a PO had left in a body panel. Its not the original, but its still pretty old.
attachment.php

attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Finally finished my suspension lift. Well, 95% done anyways. Still needs a good alignment, but otherwise, its done. I managed to align it enough to drive around till I can find a place to do it for me and one who has the bushings in stock. Why won't I do it myself? Well, I tried to adjust my steering wheel angle but ended up making it worse, as you'll see in the pics. :banghead I also replaced the ball joints on the steering rods so it tightened up my steering a little but, but I guess I'll have to replace the rag joint now. That's something for next month though, along with new shocks.

I also found out why my brakes were so jerky. Turns out, a little mud got in my left rear brake and jammed everything up. A lot of brake cleaner, a repair kit and a few hours later, its all good now. I'll have to replace the brake pads later.

Looks so much better now.
attachment.php

Tires are straight. Steering wheel, not so much. :banghead
attachment.php

You can really see how much higher it is here. Yes, I have plans to replace the shocks, now that I've seen how much longer they need to be.
attachment.php

Still need new camber bushings though. It looks better once I got it off the lift, but I think I'll take it to a shop to align it right so my steering wheel doesn't end up upside down.
attachment.php
attachment.php

4x4junkie

Explorer
Tires are straight. Steering wheel, not so much. :banghead

That should be an easy fix: Adjust your driverside tierod sleeve two turns shorter, the passengerside two turns longer, then go for a short drive and recheck the wheel position. As long as you turn each tierod sleeve the same amount (making sure you don't accidentally go both sides shorter or both longer) your toe setting shouldn't change.

However if you're going to take it in for an alignment I would agree they should be able to fix that as well. Just make sure the shop you take it to knows Twin-Beam Ford frontends... There doesn't seem to be very many shops left that do (not that there were many even back when they were still a widely-available offering), I've seen way too many shops that just guess at things and not get the caster angle correct or leave something else amiss.

Chili

Explorer
Reminds me of my old Bronco.. I was so much happier with it once I lifted it!

As I bought it, stock height with 31's:
163151_1826125135890_2932759_n.jpg

After a 4" lift and 33's:
563361_4441417916575_859516409_n.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I was doing an alignment about ten years ago on one of those TTB's. The shop I worked at didn't stock all the different bushings to change the camber. After spending a couple hours trying to get it close the shop owner got mad I was spending so much time on it and that was the end of the alignment. I suppose it was close enough. It was the only TTB I ever got for an alignment over the course of a year.

Try to find a shop that actually does TTB's.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I managed to find a camber bushing that would work. I'm just waiting to get it before I take it in for an alignment. The thing most people don't get about the TTB is that it is NOT a precision suspension for alignments. You're going to get some uneven wear patterns with it no matter what you do. That's why you rotate the tires around to make them wear evenly. There's no point if getting all finicky with it. Just get it as close as you can and leave it.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I managed to find a camber bushing that would work. I'm just waiting to get it before I take it in for an alignment. The thing most people don't get about the TTB is that it is NOT a precision suspension for alignments. You're going to get some uneven wear patterns with it no matter what you do. That's why you rotate the tires around to make them wear evenly. There's no point if getting all finicky with it. Just get it as close as you can and leave it.

Mine's actually been quite good about tire wear, but I also took a few painstaking steps to make sure the steering linkage was properly positioned after I lifted it.
Problems on TTBs tend to come about with lifts that don't drop the steering linkage the same amount the brackets drop the axle, and/or when alignment techs ******** around with things and screw something up. That's why I made comment to find a shop that knows them and has any needed bushings for it (I always recommend getting the two-piece concentric bushings (looks like Moog K80108 is the # for a fullsize), this way the bushing's degree amount can be dialed in precisely without the need for replacing it each time).

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Mine's actually been quite good about tire wear, but I also took a few painstaking steps to make sure the steering linkage was properly positioned after I lifted it.
Problems on TTBs tend to come about with lifts that don't drop the steering linkage the same amount the brackets drop the axle, and/or when alignment techs ******** around with things and screw something up. That's why I made comment to find a shop that knows them and has any needed bushings for it (I always recommend getting the two-piece concentric bushings (looks like Moog K80108 is the # for a fullsize), this way the bushing's degree amount can be dialed in precisely without the need for replacing it each time).

Thats what I'm planning on doing as soon as I get the bushings in. Thats actually the kind I'm getting so I don't have to mess around too much. After that, I'll just need new shocks. I just hope the new bushings get here soon. I really want this done before I head home.

SlinginIron

I have been researching, and trying to acquire parts to install a lift on my 89. For the shocks, I have seen almost entirely positive reviews for both Bilsteins and Old Man Emu products. Finding the application for the Bilstein components is pretty straight forward. The Old Man Emu shocks will probably require a phone call to and ARB USA dealer. Their vehicle application product guide is tailored to Australian vehicles as well as F series 250 and 350. Both are pretty spendy but, it seems that they are premium selections for washboard roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior