1991 Ford Bronco buildup

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Couple quick update. Got the tent finished. I went with a frame made of 1/2" PVC pipe and some brass fittings and some JB kwik weld to hold the brass to the PVC. The pipe isn't glued to the fittings for disassembly.
attachment.php

I also added some tie down points inside the wheel well area so I don't have to tie the tent to my door handles anymore.
attachment.php

They're held down to the support frame of the body tub by sheet metal screws.
attachment.php

Makes a nice awning too.
attachment.php

I had some left over PVC pipe and since my table mount arrived today, courtesy of a member here, I decided to try and fab up a pivot mount for it. After a quick run to the hardware store, this is what I've got. Just kinda mocked up at this point, with no glue, but I like it.

The mounting bracket.
attachment.php

The swing arm. I used a t fitting and some all thread to bolt the bracket to the swing arm and provide a pivot point.
attachment.php

attachment.php

End result, which I call "high teck recneck".
attachment.php

attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, I just got back from a 3 month government funded vacation to an undisclosed exotic location (read deployed) and I'm raring to go on working on the bronco again. On the plus side, I have some money saved up for some upgrades I've been wanting to do. Specifically, replacing the stock bumper and spare tire mount with an aftermarket bumper with tire swing arm. In fact, I managed or order one yesterday from Protofab and it will be here later next week. I got EXTREMELY lucky because when I got in contact with Protofab they told me they happened to have the exact bumper I'd wanted, including the customizations I'd wanted, because they'd double ordered one for one of their customers. Normally the wait is 2 months before they can even ship a new bumper, due to high demand. I guess good things really do happen to those who are patient and determined.

Here's the pic from the website of the bumper I ordered, minus the recovery points. I'm really looking forward to getting it mounted on the Bronco next weekend!
815.jpg

R3D2

Observer
Nice dude! Welcome back and thanks for your service. I just got my rear mounted up. Protofab makes an awesome bumper. I waited 9 weeks so you did really well. Love those 90s Broncos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Here's what you've all been waiting for!

What started out as a simple bumper swap, turned into a bit of a 7 hour nightmare. Good news is, I got A LOT done.
Swapped out old stock bumper with new one from ProtoFab4X4, fixed the sending unit in my gas tank and replaced the noisy pump after I found out I had to drop the tank anyways to remove some of the crap the PO put on so I could put the new bumper on. Fixed the fuel supply line after I broke the fitting dropping the tank, got the wrong fitting from autozone, went back to get the RIGHT fitting, got it all fixed and then suffered another half our trying to figure out why my engine wasn't starting after I'd bolted the tank back even, especially after I'd tested it before I bolted it back in to make sure everything was hooked up right. Turns out, I'd kinked the line I'd fixed when I bolted the tank back in, so I unkinked that and she fired right up. Also found out the gf isn't strong enough to turn the key to start the beast. lol. BIG thanks to her parents though, who gave me a ride to autozone for the afore mentioned parts fiasco. And without further adue, the pics!

Oh, I did have to modify the new bumper slightly to make it fit. I guess when I ordered it and they said they had it on hand from an order mixup, they thought that it was made for a bronco, but I think it was really for an F series pickup. I had to trim the mounting brackets slightly and the latching bar was interfering with the tailgate. The tailgate actually hits the bumper even without the bar, so I removed it and ground a hole in the bumper for the latch. Actually, if they'd cut that hole originally, instead of putting that bar in, it would look so much nicer. Anyways, I plan on cleaning up that hole eventually next time I'm home and have access to a welder. For now though, I'm going to hit it with some primer to keep it rust free for a while yet and call it done for now.

My spiffy bumper holder which made mounting this hunk of steel SOOOO much easier.
attachment.php

Finally got it bolted on. LOOKING GOOD!
attachment.php

The cam based latch with the original latching bar. Works great, but interfered with tailgate so much, I had to completely remove it and come up with my own solution.
attachment.php

My solution, latching it directly to the bumper. I need to clean it up a lot, but that will have to wait till I have access to a welder. Till then, this will do.
attachment.php

And the final product. I still need to throw the primer on, but that's for tomorrow. For now, it looks AWESOME! I'm also adding some stick on tread before the primer so I'm not sliding off when I step on it.
attachment.php

mtm_motors

Observer
Really enjoying this build. My cousin had a '93 and I've always had a soft spot for all OBS trucks. Love the pup tent idea, very well executed!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Got the new bumper painted up this morning before things got too hot. Just a thick primer coat, but it should prevent the rust from taking over.

11813494_10207602230473423_2965044277903964391_n.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Just a quick update. Because the tailgate trim was hitting the bumper whenever I dropped it, I decided to just remove it. I really like how it looks over the aluminum trim anyways.
attachment.php

I filled in the mounting holes with some chrome screws and finishing washers, which looks really nice.
attachment.php

I also want to recreate a look my old 85 ranger had, with FORD stamped on the tailgate with some vinyl stickers. Here are some photoshoped ideas.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm currently leaning towards the second one with the cursive Ford, but more going with the Ford logo.

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
You could make you letters out of something like rubber to keep the bumper from damaging the tailgate with the bumper.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz