1991 Ford Bronco buildup

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'm digging that hidden winch. Well done!

Thanks. I'm real happy with how it came out. I should be able to handle anything I'll need with it. Especially with my recovery gear.

attachment.php

Now I just need to get the rear bumper with tire rack and I'll be all set. Yes, it comes with a spare tire rack from the factory, but I can't do much in term of mounting anything extra, like a jerry can or hi-lift jack without worrying about damaging it. I've heard how the factory reinforcement plates can tear off if you add too much weight. Especially when I plan on throwing on upgrading to 33 inch tires when the 31's I've got right now wear out.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Glad to see so many people interested in older Fords.

One of the tings I like most are how mechanically tough and resilient they are. Some of these engines will keep on running on only half cylinders if you let them, not an inconsequential feature when on a trail or camping. You'll be limping home, but you'll get home!

Then there's how easy they are to work on. Only one computer module that's easy to swap out if need be, but everything else is mechanical.

Then there's the super smooth ride. I know a lot of people rag on the TTB of older fords as being weak and unreliable, but truth be told, I've never even heard of a stock TTB breaking. Yes, a lot of my fellow bronco buddies do SAS (Single Axle Swaps), but that's in line with rock crawling or to get more lift than what is available for TTB suspensions. It has absolutely nothing to do with the reliability or strength of the TTB. In fact, about the only downside to the TTB is how difficult it is to life. You can get a 2 inch lift easily with new coil springs or spacers on the springs, but after that, you need to modify the mounting brackets and that's where the trouble starts., because you're messing with the geometry of an otherwise simple design. Also, what a lot of people don't realize is that the TTB is safer to have when cornering as well. Because of the longer arms, compared to independent suspensions, the tire tread stays more parallel to the ground, even when the truck rocks as far as it can. This provides greater traction. On some independent suspensions, the tread stays parallel to the frame of the vehicle, meaning that if it rocks, you'll be rolling up more on the outside edge of the tire when cornering, loosing traction. And your vehicle will rock if it makes a turn at speed. Next time you look at your independent suspension, so how it reacts to rocking and if the tread stays flat on the ground. Now, I have heard of old, tired TTB setups causing uneven wear on tires, ie the inside half will wear out faster than the outside. That's because the coil springs are either old and worn, or that fancy new heavy duty steel bumper is weight it down. Just replace the springs and you'd be just fine.

Sorry for the rant. lol. I just heard a guy sell a perfectly good truck for the uneven tire wear and complaining about how stupid the TTB is and how he'd rather have done an SAS (For $350) to make it more reliable. Newer springs, or even junkyard springs out of an F250 would have fixed the problem in a couple hours. And he called himself a mechanic. Hmph.

People are living in a "throw away" society these days.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Nice build.
I think the '90s were the greatest years for vehicles. Fuel injection technology was matured enough that it gave great performance, mileage, and reliability, and it wasn't tied into every other frivolous electronic system in the car like you see on vehicles of the last decade or so.

I'm with you on the TTB. It's amazing the number of myths I see perpetuated about this suspension. I do plenty of rock crawling with mine, it's quite capable there too. Yet at the same time I also don't have to put up with the jarring & bouncy ride of a solid axle on other terrain (this would get quite old in places like Death Valley where a majority of the trails are doable in stock SUVs)
When you get down and look at it, it's a dirt-simple and very rugged suspension. You have a total of four (4) bushings (wear points) that hold the entire axle in place. Not many other suspensions (even many with solid axles) can claim that.

For future reference... When you encounter a busted crosspin bolt in a 8.8", just take an extra-large punch (or an old pin from another axle) and a sledgehammer and hammer the pin through the carrier (shearing the remnant that's left of the bolt). Though I've never had to do this personally yet, I've seen many reports from others that have done it with good success.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I actually tried that, just shearing the pin with a sledge hammer, but couldn't get a good angle. besides, I was worried about busting it through to the other side and damaging the casing. Not sure if I could have damaged it, but I just didn't feel like making a bigger job than what it had already become.

On the plus side, I'm now very comfortable with rebuilding the 8.8 rear end and I feel it can be done in only a few hours. lol. Granted, I got lucky and nailed the pinion shims just right on the first attempt, but I can still do it pretty fast.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I'm with you on the TTB also. I have a mild lift on mine - Rancho drop brackets and longer arms. The mild lift kept all the angles/geometries the same, so I get a good ride, good/normal tire wear and increased suspension travel.

I agree with Junkie about '90s vehicles, too. Built tough. My Ranger had 320,000 miles on it before I swapped in a 5.0L. A '93 vintage, fuel injected 5.0L.

I am looking forward to seeing what else you do (always looking for good ideas!)

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
How tough are the Rancho drop brackets that you used? I've heard that on most lifts with TTB, its always the drop brackets that provide the weak link and break/bend. Did you have to reinforce them at all? Granted, I don't plan any serious wheeling/rock crawling/jumping in it, but the roads in OK are pretty rough. Its no exaggeration when I say that I've been on dirt roads smoother than the highways around here.

MCObray

Explorer
Really awesome. I have great memories of this vehicles generation. It's the one I learned to drive in, as well as loved as a kid growing up because that's what my Dad drove ('89). Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
How tough are the Rancho drop brackets that you used? I've heard that on most lifts with TTB, its always the drop brackets that provide the weak link and break/bend. Did you have to reinforce them at all? Granted, I don't plan any serious wheeling/rock crawling/jumping in it, but the roads in OK are pretty rough. Its no exaggeration when I say that I've been on dirt roads smoother than the highways around here.

The Rancho brackets are quite stout. At the time, I felt they were the best on the market.

Part of the reason is they do not offer excessive lift - about 2 1/2" if I remember correctly. (The full size ones were a little taller.) Too long of a drop bracket acts like a lever arm on your frame, making it easier to bend. And, many of the aftermarket parts were not built strong enough to begin with. Of course, add oversized tires, bad alignment, jumping, etc., and you have your problems.

I did not add any additional reinforcement to mine - they came with sufficient reinforcement.

I don't jump mine either, but they have seen many, many miles. And I have been known to "enjoy" myself on the whoop-di-dos in the desert!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a set of those then. Or find something stronger if its out there, but I doubt it. I saw an install writeup of those brackets on 4Whelin's website and the brackets looked stout. If only I could find some.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Very neat. I really enjoyed my old 94 F150, they are good trucks. 87-91 is my favorite body style.

I too had great reliability and performance out of the ttb front. For my truck, I swapped out the stock coil springs for a new set of Moogs for a same-year f350 2wd. Lifted the truck and gave the front end a stronger feel and ride (not necessarily the right choice for off-road use I suppose).

With respect to the air filter, these trucks use speed density air/fuel programming. Unlike the later MAF setups, the computer doesn't measure the incoming air volume to calculate fuel mixture values. The computer has a range of programmed values for air/fuel values. Therefore, cold air / high flow intake setups don't add anything to the performance of the engine.

Enjoying the build and looking forward to more.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Very neat. I really enjoyed my old 94 F150, they are good trucks. 87-91 is my favorite body style.

I too had great reliability and performance out of the ttb front. For my truck, I swapped out the stock coil springs for a new set of Moogs for a same-year f350 2wd. Lifted the truck and gave the front end a stronger feel and ride (not necessarily the right choice for off-road use I suppose).

With respect to the air filter, these trucks use speed density air/fuel programming. Unlike the later MAF setups, the computer doesn't measure the incoming air volume to calculate fuel mixture values. The computer has a range of programmed values for air/fuel values. Therefore, cold air / high flow intake setups don't add anything to the performance of the engine.

Enjoying the build and looking forward to more.

Just to clarify, I didn't change the intake for performance. I had to replace the stock filter to make room for the second battery setup I pulled form an F350 diesel.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Following this. I've always wanted a bronco.. Maybe this thread will force me to go get one :)
I highly recommend them, so long as you're not afraid to turn a wrench. Simple engines that are easy to work on, tough suspension and cheap to own and maintain. They do lack some luxuries, but as you can see, its very easy to add them on and customize them if you're willing to do the work. And don't wait for the largest engine you can get. I know a lot of Bronco owners with the 351W who would gladly take a 4.9L I6 for the fuel economy and reliability. All three engines have plenty of power for overland adventures, though you do want bigger if, and only if, you're going to be pulling a trailer.

Go to FullSizeBronco.com if you want to full lowdown on them.

82fb

Adventurer
I had an 87 fullsize Bronco. Good car overall. Oil drainplug got stripped out and welded shut(since you have to pull the motor to change the oilpan). It then had not oil changes for over 50,000 miles. Still had good bottom end, and compression, but then I found the weakpoint on the 5.0 motor. The timing gears are made of nylon. And of course it stripped. I had the heads rebuilt, put in new timing set and it ran as good as new. Underpowered, overweight, and craptastic fuel mileage of about 14, but overall very reliable and kinda fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior