1991 Ford Bronco buildup

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I've been on here a few weeks and can't help but notice the lack of a Bronco following. Essepcially on builds. So I thought I'd throw mine out there. I have a link to my build on fullsizebronco.com, but I figure I need one here too, just to fill in for the search function.

I've always been a Ford truck guy. My first was an 85 Ranger. Beautiful condition. I bought it in 2000 for $1200. It only had 6000 (Yes, six THOUSAND) miles on it. The only thing that broke on it was the dry rotted timing belt. It drove like a dream. I used it primarily as a farm truck and go-for vehicle. That is, till it got rear ended by a lady in a van while my dad was driving it. :( Next came my 91' F150. I drove that all through college and up until last year. Never gave me any trouble, except for a leaky water pump, which was easy to replace. It had the 4.9 I6 engine. Not as much power as the V8s, but plenty for what I used it for on the farm. But it was still only 2WD. Then last year in January, I came across a Bronco for sale on a used car lot. Bronco's are pretty common in OK, but not so in Indiana. Even so, it's hard to find a Bronco for sale in Oklahoma so I traded in my F150 for something a bit more useful to my needs. I'd enlisted in the air force (No chair force jokes please. I do more work in one day than most bullet catchers do in a week. I've nearly been killed twice and never even deployed!) and didn't need a farm truck anymore. Bronco was stock with 60K miles on it. Interior was rough, but not abused. Just well used. Engine needed some tuning, but the exhaust was shot.

attachment.php

Anyways, when I first got it off the lot, first thing I did was a full tuneup. Plugs, wires, caps, coil and all fluids changed. The base self help auto/hobby shop has lifts for oil changes, so I took the opportunity with it on the lift to look over everything. Exhaust was shot as I mentioned. It looked like it had been broken and rewelded, and not all that well either. Fortunatly, that was the worst of it underneath. Physically, it was in great shape. The only rust problem was on the core support, but that was expected. The mount had rusted right through, probably from a leaky battery.

attachment.php

Next was the electrical system. UGH! Whoever owned it before me fancied himself an electrician. He most certainly was NOT!. My rig came with adjustable air fill shocks. Somehow, he tried to wire in a trailer plug, and I still don't know how, but he spliced the wiring into an AIR LINE! I was literally struck dumb and immobile for several minutes after that discovery. Anyways, I got all the wiring for the lights sorted out and did it the right way with water proof splices and NO VYNIL TAPE! Then came the non functional tranny temp guage. Turns out it was a simple fix. The PO had just reversed the wires. A quick rewire and it was good to go. I was a bit baffled at his use of trailer wire. or I should say, at him using the trailer wire with the PLUG STILL ATTACHED!

attachment.php

There were a few other electrical gremlins I would find later, but those were mostly just loose connections.

Anyways, on to the modifications. The thing I LOVE about Fords is how interchangeable parts are between models and years. Some parts just bolt right in while others need only minor alterations to work.

Tow loops off a Ford Expedition (I have an extra set if anybody is interested.) I did need to drill mounting holes and trim the bumper a bit, but otherwise, you can't tell they're not original.
attachment.php

Next came a custom center consol. The stock "bucket" with cup-holders didn't work so well for me. So I got some 1x12 planks from home depot and built an extension to add to it. Its still a bit of a work in progress. Once I have all that I want mounted to it, I'll line it in vinyl to match the interior.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I also deleted the ash tray and 12v outlet from the dash. I moved the outlet to the old bucket between the cup holders. A simple sheet metal plate covers up the hole. I used the same sheet metal to make a simple control panel too.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I added an auxiliary back up light to the tire rack in back. Now I can see behind me. Comes in handy as a work light too.
attachment.php

I picked up a custom made square tube grill from the junkyard. It was chromed, but badly rusted, so I just sanded it down and painted it matte black. I've added some better lights since this pic.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Next came the exhaust. I decided to go with summit racing pipes with a single cat and easy flow Y-pipe. I left the stock headers after some research showed that swapping out for new wasn't really worth it. Long headers wouldn't fit with the transfer case and front drive axle in the way. Still, it was a definite improvement over the old. I especially like how it growls now! :D
New vs Old exhaust. I did end up having to trim the exhaust a bit, since it was designed to fit on the loner wheel base F150, but nothing I couldn't handle with a few minutes on the angle grinder (with cutting wheel of course).
attachment.php

Oh, and a quick tweak on the Y-pipe to make it fit, but I was expecting that and came prepared! Redneck exhaust spreader to the rescue.
attachment.php

Anyways, it ran great after that. However, next came my biggest on-going project. What started out as a simple axle seal replacement turned into almost a complete rear end rebuild. Well, the seal was leaking, but in order to replace that, you have to remove the axle. To remove the axle, you have to open the diff case and remove the c-clip holding the axle to the diff. To do THAT, you have to remove the spider gear shaft, and to do that you have to remove a tiny little bolt that holds the shaft in place. Well, the bolt snapped, laving about half of the shaft in the pin. The bolt is only threaded on the upper half while the lower half is all smooth. I couldn't just drill and easy out it. So I eneded up having to cut up the diff housing to remove it! This took place about a week after I discovered the broken bolt, so I had a "new" one lined up. Anyways, I replaced the seal and installed the new diff with old gears. Problem solved right? Wrong. I still don't know what I did, but I ended up screwing up the gears. I guess the shims were put in wrong or something. Anyways, so I ordered a diff rebuild kit from summit racing and got a replacement diff with gears from the jy. All I'd really wanted was the gears, but it turns out they were mounted on a limited slip dif, so I just dropped the whole unit in. Then I took a few hours and shimmed it just right. Backlash was perfect. All new bearings installed (nearly broke the shop press trying to get one of the old bearings off), shimmed up the pinion just right, torqued it all down right and in the right order and finally, I was done with the ********** diff. lol.
And yes, I used LS additive.
attachment.php

And that was it for all the reliability fixes. Next up, the upgrades!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
My first major upgrade was to add a spotlight. Why? Well why not?
It's an older one I got off CL for $5. I got the mounting bracket from Unity MFG out of Chicago. Paid a bit more for that, but I wanted it done right. I won't lie, I was nervous about drilling through the body, but the instructions with the mounting hardware were clear and very simple to follow. Just take your time and follow the directions.
attachment.php

attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Next came my dual battery install. I looked around at the aftermarket options first, but ended up going with the setup out of an F350 diesel. Why? I don't like spending extra money on Optima batteries and all the setups I could find were tailor made for those only. And it was cheaper. So I snagged the mounting bracket, coolant overflow tank and washer fluid tank out of an 89 F350.
attachment.php

Cleaned up the metal and painted it black. Installation was easy. As I mentioned earlier, most parts are simply bolt in from other models and years. I gutted what I didn't need, including the stock air cleaner. (I end up making my own cold air intake, but that's for later.)
attachment.php

Bolted in the support and tray with brackets for everything. No cutting/trimming required.
attachment.php

attachment.php

And I installed the tanks.
attachment.php

As you can see, the stock air cleaner no longer fits, but again, that's another mod.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Next came a little luxury from a random junkyard find. A drop down TV out of a family van. I managed to pull the whole unit and wiring to go with it. Real easy to hook up. I did have to buy a new DVD/CD player, but I'd been meaning to get rid of the old CD player anyways.
attachment.php

I was still working on getting all the wiring setup for my second battery, so I used the spare battery to test everything out once the DVD player arrived. It WORKED!
attachment.php

Installation was easy, since I had the wiring harnesses already. I used some 1x2 scrap wood epoxied to the ceiling as a mounting point and used screws to attach the unit. I have it mounted above the passenger seat at about 45 deg so anybody can watch. I couldn't center mount it because of the way the ceiling is contoured.
attachment.php

Next I had to replace the old CD player and ran into more of the PO's inept wiring. Long story short, fixed the wires and now all the speakers work! yay!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
This next upgrade was more of a quick add-on than an upgrade, but its still my favorite. I ordered some custom tactical Molle backed seat covers from Coverking.com. Unlike the smittybilt ones made for jeeps, these wrap all around the seat and made of very durable cordura fabric with, I believe a polly cotton blend backing. So far, they've held up nicely and allowed me to keep some things close at hand without having to keep extra storage tubs in the back.
Old seat covers:
attachment.php

Old seats:
attachment.php

New tactical covers:
attachment.php

attachment.php

As you can see, I keep them packed pretty full. The only downside is the seats forward assist springs to move them forward to access the back seat are no longer strong enough to move them, but I can live with that. :D

The whole set for both seats was around $200 for my Bronco.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I guess next would be the 3G alt upgrade. While the PO had switched to a 3G alt, he'd gone with a 95 amp alt. This was no good for my dual batteries, so I got a 150 amp to replace it with. After a quick reclocking, it went in real easy.
attachment.php

Since this was a short one, I'll also throw in the cold air intake mod I came up with to replace the stock cold air intake.

I started by grabbing the air intake splitter out of a late 90's ford van with the 3 ID inch rubber hose. A conical air cleaner, some hose clamps, a4 inch piece of 3 inch OD exhaust pipe and some galvanized steel flashing for home construction. Keep in mind, this is still a work in progress and will be replaced with a finalized design.
Anyways, I cut down the stock dual tube intake tubes and attached the splitter with the 3 inch intake tube. I then used the 3 inch OD exhaust piece and mated the cone filter to the 3 inch intake tube. I then covered the filter with a housing made from the flashing and a piece of 1 inch galvanized flat bar bent into a circle to act as a frame and mounting point. I had to trim the flashing to make it fit, but I was able to mount the filter off to the side of the radiator where it would take in cold air. There are some concerns about water and mud, but if water gets that high, I'd have to worry about my batteries and other electrical anyways. I'm not worried about anything splashing up inside it, since the housing is mounted at an angle to let water and mud drain out The housing is more to prevent hot air form the engine bay mixing in with the cold outside air. I sealed up the back of the housing with military grade duck tape and so far, its worked good. Again, this is more of a prototype till I can get a more permanent filter housing made up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Now for my biggest mod. My hidden bumper winch.

For some reason, I could not find any sort of manufactured mounting plate for this mod. I ended up going to an off road fabrication shop to figure something out, and I'm not disappointed with the results.

For the winch, I went with a Smittybilt XRC8 (8000 lb. limit) with roller fairlead and 5/16th steel cable. I don't plan any serious rock crawling with this and I don't want to have to take care of an overpriced synthetic line.
attachment.php

Anyways, I told the shop what I wanted and dropped the bronco off with them $400 and two days later I had my winch mounted just the way I wanted it. They did have to move the bumper out 2 inches, but I was expecting that and told them as much before they started. It doesn't mess with the lines that much and it also means that I won't have to trim the bumper when I throw on my 33's (tires) when I wear out the 31's currently on it. They even managed to keep the tow loops that I'd installed myself.
attachment.php

I really like how the finished the trim on the bumper. I honestly had expected to do that myself. They do great work.
attachment.php

And bumper extensions. Simple and easy to replace if need be.
attachment.php

Part of the reason I wanted a hidden winch mounted behind the stock bumper is cost. I know how tough the stock bumper already is so I wasn't worried about damaging it while winching. On the other hand, if there was an accident and the bumper was damaged, all I need to do to fix it is go to the parts yard and pick up another from an F150, trim it up to fit the winch and bolt it in. An aftermarket bumper, I'd have to take to a shop and have them cut and trim it to fix it. THe other reason was security. Nobody is gonna want to go through the trouble to steel this as it is. Once I get a welder and a shop space to work in, I may make my own bumper to replace it, but for now, I like it.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Finally, I installed a CB radio. I realize it's not the best communications gear out there, but for my purposes, it will do. I'm building this rig to take back home to Indiana and a lot of people out there still use CB. Currently I have dual firestik antenna mounted on gutter brackets, but I'm going to be swapping the gutter mounts out for something more solid and flexible, if that make sense. lol.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Nice build. I love full size broncos. I drove an 86 when I was a teen and about a year a half ago I sold a 89 I had. I really like to get another 80s or early 90s bronco. So the only question I have is are you worried about water getting in to the air filter. It seems a little low. Other that that love the upgrades you have done. Simple but very effective. If don't get any love here go to Fullsizebronco.com . Good luck.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Nice build. I love full size broncos. I drove an 86 when I was a teen and about a year a half ago I sold a 89 I had. I really like to get another 80s or early 90s bronco. So the only question I have is are you worried about water getting in to the air filter. It seems a little low. Other that that love the upgrades you have done. Simple but very effective. If don't get any love here go to Fullsizebronco.com . Good luck.

I'm not worried at all about water. The filter is big enough that water won't be pulled in with air and the housing is mounted at a steep angle so any water or debris will flow out. I may decide to go with a snorkel and pre-cleaner later on, but for now, this works.

As for FSB, you should click the link in my signature.

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Awesome build. Thanks for your service, what's your afsc? I'm a 1C6 up at Schreiver AFB in Colorado. My job is why they call it the chair force. I look forward to watching your build. Give me a line if you ever head up my way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior