What Are You Running?

DocGary

Hey everyone! I was just wondering what everyone who may read this post is using for comms,whether it be in a group or one your own while traveling.
I am a Ham Radio Operator KD8QLO and while I am exploring the USA behind the wheel of my 2012 Freightliner I use many forms of communication.

1. Cobra CB with Bluetooth
2. 2m Radioshack HTX-242
3. Baofeng UV-5R 2m/70cm dual band HT - I also use this for APRS
4. Hand held MURS radio
5. FRS/GMRS handhels
Generally I have my 2m radio set for simplex calling frequency and have my Garmin Nuvi programed with every states 2m/70cm repeter POI's so if Im going to be in an area I can try and make contact with other HAMs. Would be great to make contact with some fellow ExPo members while Im out and about. 73's

abruzzi

Adventurer
1. Yaesu FTM-400DR usually listening to the nearest repeater or simplex on one side and APRS on the other into a Larsen 2/70
2. Icom IC-7000 in a shoulder bag for "portable" use into a Outbacker antenna.

I've got some Baofeng radios for playing with, and a couple Motorola FRS/GMRS blister pack radios when I'm with non-hams. No CB yet.

Geof
W5ARP

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
I run with two groups: one uses CBs and the other 800mhz radios, so I have both. I would like to consider a HAM setup at some point.

MattFromDenver

CB (lots of CO and UT jeep runs require it,) FT-350 in Project Heep (KDORHV-9 on APRS,) VX-8DR when out hiking (KD0RHV-7 on APRS,) KX3 for SOTA (just getting started) and a few Baofeng cheapo MURS radios for skiing with others. FT-350 is almost always tuned to 145.145 along CO front range, Colorado connection repeaters elsewhere in the state.

73 de KD0RHV

Orbital Debris

For day to day: Kenwood D710 (2m/70cm dual band) connected to an Comet SBB-2, lip mounted to the hatch. I have a Garmin III+ gps connected to the 710 for APRS

When I do stratospheric balloon tracking (see www.eoss.org) I connect an output from the D710 to a laptop with an APRS mapping and tracking program. To monitor more frequencies, I move the SBB-2 to a magmount and connect that to a Yaesu VX-7R handheld, and put a comet SBB-5 on the lip mount.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yaesu FTM-350AR, MFJ-916 duplexer with STI-CO whips for 2m and 70cm, Argent GTRANS cable and a Garmin Nuvi 350

Orbital Debris, I was monitoring the launch last week. One of these days I'll make it over when I don't have a conflict. It always seems like something. Jim, KC0RPS, makes me feel guilty for not helping.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Kenwood D 710 into a Larsen NMO dual-band antenna, Baofeng UV5r when away from the truck. Haven't used the Kenwood's cross-band repeat capabilities yet, but that's the plan.

73 de KG7EZY

Paul_H_UK

Am over in the UK so thought id give you a run down of what I have day to day in my L200 Pick-up. Ham wise I have a Yaesu FTM-350 thats running APRS on one side and eaither simplex or local repeater on the other, I have works VHF lowband Tait 2020 that when I get around to putting the aerial up and the antenna switch will run 4m ham band too. I also have an Icom 1010 mobile on VHF hiband and time to time run a Moto DP3400 for DMR Ham use. Also have a tablet connected via wifi through my phone and the phone itself and people complain they can't get a hold of me lol

chmura

Adventurer
I just passed my technician test last week.

I am deciding between the Yaesu 2900r or the ICOM 2300h. Leaning towards the ICOM due to it being a little bit smaller since I want to install it inside the center console.

Can anyone recommend me which one of these to get?

DocGary

I am deciding between the Yaesu 2900r or the ICOM 2300h. Leaning towards the ICOM due to it being a little bit smaller since I want to install it inside the center console.

Congrats on getting your ticket! Welcome to the world of amateur radio. I have heard good things about both the Yaesu and the ICOM so it comes down to what will work best for you and fit where you want to put it. As much room as I have in my freightliner I could put a base station in there but when I am home and want to go out adventuring in my Jeep liberty not so much. IMHO do some serious research to see which radio is capable of doing what you want/need. Price always seams to be a factor but I believe that it is an investment and try not to make your decision based on price alone. Once again congrats. 73's KD8QLO

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

Congrats on getting your ticket.

Neither is clear and away "better", both are solid 2m radios. If you can compare them side by side, maybe there's a ham shop near by, you might find one's interface suits you better or is more intuitive. I personally find Yaesu radios make most sense to me but my experience with Icom is limited to a couple of radios and is not extensive. In the end you won't end up with a known clunker, both are well regarded and follow a long design lineage. If you find the one you get to not be ideal you would have no trouble selling either and not losing a ton.

It's important to note that neither has a fan to cool it, so be careful mounting them in places with poor airflow. You want to make sure there's enough room that air can circulate.

4x4junkie

Explorer

I'd go with the Yaesu.
I had to deal with Icom's customer service some years back on an older HF rig and wound up getting screwed out of 50 bucks because they made an error and refused any attempt to resolve it.

What I run: a Uniden CB unit w/5½-foot Francis antenna, Yaesu VHF/UHF (one mobile, one HT), and a couple MURS HTs & Motorola FRS units just to have on hand in case someone needs a radio.

chmura

Adventurer
Congrats on getting your ticket! Welcome to the world of amateur radio. I have heard good things about both the Yaesu and the ICOM so it comes down to what will work best for you and fit where you want to put it. As much room as I have in my freightliner I could put a base station in there but when I am home and want to go out adventuring in my Jeep liberty not so much. IMHO do some serious research to see which radio is capable of doing what you want/need. Price always seams to be a factor but I believe that it is an investment and try not to make your decision based on price alone. Once again congrats. 73's KD8QLO

Congrats on getting your ticket.

Neither is clear and away "better", both are solid 2m radios. If you can compare them side by side, maybe there's a ham shop near by, you might find one's interface suits you better or is more intuitive. I personally find Yaesu radios make most sense to me but my experience with Icom is limited to a couple of radios and is not extensive. In the end you won't end up with a known clunker, both are well regarded and follow a long design lineage. If you find the one you get to not be ideal you would have no trouble selling either and not losing a ton.

It's important to note that neither has a fan to cool it, so be careful mounting them in places with poor airflow. You want to make sure there's enough room that air can circulate.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just want a simple single band radio just to learn the basics first and I believe the Yaesu 2900r and Icom 2300h are powerful radios. Plus these units are under $180 so it shouldn't hurt the wallet to bad.

Whenever I transmit I will leave the armrest console door open to let any heat out or cool air in since they have no fan built into them. I really wanted a detachable face so I can install just the face outside the center console and the brains in the trunk area but it seems like the single band radios are all one unit without a detachable face. When you get into the dual band radios they start coming in a detachable face which I like. I do not want to get overwhelmed buying a $400 dual band radio and not know how to use it fully since none of my friends around me use ham thus no one turning to for help if I need it. So simpler the better for me for now. Maybe in a few years I can get a dual band radio with APRS.

Right now leaning towards ICOM.

Which is easier to program ICOM or Yaesu?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles