Lr3 glass roof?

cannonball55

Adventurer
JAK: have you thought about putting laminx or something similar? It would be essentially "taping" the crack to help prevent the spreading. Just an idea, though no idea on the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cannonball55

Adventurer
Dendy: do you have any more info on those who have replaced with aluminum? I've searched a few forums and didn't find much besides the discussion of doing so, not the actual doing so.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I saw a truck that had a slight crack in the glass that had been taken to a vehicle wrap place and they placed a union jack decal over the glass. The decal was perforated so you could see through it, but it looked pretty cool and kept the crack from spreading.
D

cannonball55

Adventurer
That sounds awesome! I've thought about putting a Union Jack decal up there before but hadn't thought about the perforation. Any pictures?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Sorry, I don't, however, it was one of those deals that looked solid from the outside, but on the inside you could see through it ... but like a dark tint.
No info on the aluminum panels other than some threads that I have seen on here.

If I stumble across, I'll throw a link up here.
Thanks
D

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I'm assuming it's like the stuff I had on my previous D2 for advertising my friends shop. Couldn't see it from the inside except in certain light but was solid, pretty much non-see-thru on the outside. Helped with heat on the ARB fridge too. DSC_0693.jpg

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Broken Glass is typically covered under your auto insurance with no deductible (depending on your State).
D
Roof glass is not covered the same way windshields are covered unfortunately.

I actually put a layer of fiberglass down on the glass around the crack to keep it from spreading. This did not work as the crack is now on the bottom pane as well.

cannonball55

Adventurer
Most resins don't adhere to glass very well since they are a relatively non porous surface.

This doesn't mean they won't, just that they don't very well.

Magnus

Observer
Is the glass roof much heavier than the metal one? My RTT really makes the handling bad, I guess I should be glad I don't have glass roof under it, just metal on my D3.

zelatore

Explorer
Is the glass roof much heavier than the metal one? My RTT really makes the handling bad, I guess I should be glad I don't have glass roof under it, just metal on my D3.
I would love to see some specs to confirm, but I do know I recently had a 3/8" piece of tempered glass made for a door on a boat. IT. WAS. HEAVY. As in it took two people to carry it. That was about 6' long and 2' wide. Probably similar total area as the LR3/4 glass roof, if not a little less. I'm just speculating, but it seems like aluminum or even steel would have to be lighter.

In the words of one of England's greatest automotive engineers, let's simplicate and add lightness.

A.J.M

Explorer
I have a glass roof, my boss has a Uk S spec which has no sun roofs at all.

The car is so much darker inside with the lack of sunroofs and imho, not as nice a place to sit. Although part of that is the car was 2 spec levels lower and had the poorer seats etc.

There are a few members in the UK who have replaced the glass roof under car insurance so i would check your own policies to see if you are covered or not.
I really like the glass roof as it adds to the car, however i can see some people wanting rid of it.

Have you ever considered getting a steel roof imported from the UK? There are plenty of base and low spec models here and unless the option was ticked, only the HSE has it as standard.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
True, but I chemically etched it. The problem is that it sees a constant thermal cycle being on the roof. This is why the crack is spreading. I simply wanted to hold it together while I decided what to do about it.
Most resins don't adhere to glass very well since they are a relatively non porous surface.

This doesn't mean they won't, just that they don't very well.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I can see why people dont like it because it breaks, but otherwise I think its a neat feature. When traveling for a long time with a bunch of people it makes a difference not feeling like you are stuck in a can.

DSC_5095_zpsd023cb15.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
True, if you regularly haul around a lot of people the rear glass might be nice. But most of us are using that area for storage space; building shelves and pull-out drawers and such. As I mentioned, I didn't even realize mine had glass back there until somebody asked about it. I've had 1 person in the 2nd row of seats one time. Otherwise, we only use the front seats. I plan to toss the 3rd row soon enough and use that as storage space. The second row I'll keep in case I need to carry passengers at some point, but I do plan to pull out the center seat and replace it with a refrigerator similar to the ExPo LR4. With that use in mind, I think having lighter weight aluminum up in the roof would be preferable to heavy glass. I can always throw a couple extra LED lights in the overhead if it's too dark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94