Lr3 glass roof?

cannonball55

Adventurer
I'm curious about the lr3's glass roof. Is it structural? Or could it be replaced by something lighter weight?
Im aware of the commercial bodies in other parts of the world and if I remember they're made of aluminum, and replace all the rear body glass.

Reason I ask is: I regularly see poptops on jeeps and vans and other vehicles. I was thinking that a poptop accessible from the inside wouldn't be TERRIBLY difficult if the glass roof was removed and replaced. And depending on how it was executed could be removable should the vehicle be reverted to stock for sale.

Thoughts? Opinions?

A little background so everyone isn't telling me to run away. I'm a composite engineer and have been building with composite materials (carbon fiber, Kevlar, fiberglass etc...) for 10 years. While mainly for the aerospace industry (think uav's) this skill is widely transferable among industries and *could be used for a project of this nature. Also have extensive sheet metal experience though limited welding experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unseenone

Explorer
If you were going to consider this, you might want to factor in the rear side windows into the plan. Otherwise it seems like you would be riding in a can, and there wouldn't be much benefit. The roof glass comes out as a unit, including the sun roofs, which are integrated. There is a metal roof option for these, though rarely seen, I have seen one here in the US before. Perhaps it might be worth checking around salvage yards, for a used metal roof as a starting point.

The other considerations would be the headliner, and wiring integrated in it.

Keep us posted..

View attachment Description adn Operation.pdf

Mack73

Adventurer
What about removing the front sunroof? Million times easier and the opening is large enough to get through... but yeah not ideal.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
My roof glass is cracked and I am debating replacement options. Replacement cost is pushing $1000. I have been debating, aluminum or lexan. As I have a rack and a RTT there is no need to have glass up there. There are no US domestic sources of the OEM commercial metal panels that I can find, even though there were a few 2005 trucks brought in like that. From what I gathered is that, those were dealer only/specials but who really knows.

The body is not wide open in the roof area. There is a cross member between the middle and back openings. I would not recommend cutting into that area as it is integral to the C pillar structure and will provide a load path during a roll over. So creating a "Dorm Mobile" out of an LR3 comes with some structural risk.

cannonball55

Adventurer
I suppose I should expand on my idea as this is not a plan, and I doubt I would be able to bring this plan to fruition simply due to budget restraints (back in school).

The main idea would be to add a sleeping area on the roof, while maintaining complete integrity of the oem structure (with the exception of the glass) so that the vehicle could be reverted back to stock by simply removing the poptop and reinstalling the glass.

The idea for the execution would be to remove the existing glass roof and replace it (or most of it) with a filler panel of some sort, and leave a hole in either the middle or rear sunroof areas for access into the "tent". the idea would be to relocate any antennas or other electrics using oem connectors and creating an extension cord of sorts to put them pretty much anywhere needed. and installing some sort of protection for the sunroof opening so damage to the oem finishes would be minimal/non-existent.

If you were going to consider this, you might want to factor in the rear side windows into the plan. Otherwise it seems like you would be riding in a can, and there wouldn't be much benefit. ...(REMOVED)...

I'm not sure what you mean by it might seem like you would be riding in a can? if the rear windows were removed (commercial body) i think it would feel much more like a van/can. could you explain this more?

What about removing the front sunroof? Million times easier and the opening is large enough to get through... but yeah not ideal.

Main reason would be not ideal I would cringe at watching anyone climb through the front sunroof with all the electrics in the center console just below it.

how cool would something like this be on a LR3 or RRS.........

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/jeep.htm

David

Pretty much what I was envisioning from the exterior appearance.

...REMOVED...
The body is not wide open in the roof area. There is a cross member between the middle and back openings. I would not recommend cutting into that area as it is integral to the C pillar structure and will provide a load path during a roll over. So creating a "Dorm Mobile" out of an LR3 comes with some structural risk.

I would be very interested to see the removal/installation of your glass (or whatever you choose to replace it with) please take photos if possible! as mentioned above no changes to the structural components. Not so much of a Dormobile but more of a roof top tent accessible via the interior.
*edit* i just noticed you're north of LA... If you do replace your glass (and its in one piece) I could potentially use it to make a mold for a composite replacement.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I have seen the glass panels replaced with aluminum, but the aluminum was the same mil as the glass. It was also "fixed". A good body shop may be able to assist in determining the structural integrity of having something that would "open" up.
D

Really don't understand the rationale for such a huge section on glass on top of a SUV. For one, no one except truck drivers can see the huge panel. Secondly, it's an SUV which is meant to carry CARGO sometimes on the roof! Come on Land Rover designers...why couldn't you just install a couple of smaller fixed glass sunroofs?

Installing my roof rails (not installing these as stock OEM parts is another bone-head LR move), we almost cracked the glass roof. It did get chipped because the rails were not milled 100% correct. Had to back the screw out and install washers as thin spacers to prevent the rails from cracking the roof when tightened down into place. Thankfully only one of the aluminum (?!?!?!) screws LR sent with the rails sheared off as we tightened the screw back down (yet ANOTHER bone head LR move...who specs aluminum screws to bolt into a steel mounting nut???)

As Dendy says, thick aluminum panels seem like the way to go if you break the glass roof...perhaps permanently affixed with a bead of Sikaflex adhesive and some strategically placed steel shank rivets.

zelatore

Explorer
Really don't understand the rationale for such a huge section on glass on top of a SUV. For one, no one except truck drivers can see the huge panel. Secondly, it's an SUV which is meant to carry CARGO sometimes on the roof! Come on Land Rover designers...why couldn't you just install a couple of smaller fixed glass sunroofs?

Installing my roof rails (not installing these as stock OEM parts is another bone-head LR move), we almost cracked the glass roof. It did get chipped because the rails were not milled 100% correct. Had to back the screw out and install washers as thin spacers to prevent the rails from cracking the roof when tightened down into place. Thankfully only one of the aluminum (?!?!?!) screws LR sent with the rails sheared off as we tightened the screw back down (yet ANOTHER bone head LR move...who specs aluminum screws to bolt into a steel mounting nut???)

As Dendy says, thick aluminum panels seem like the way to go if you break the glass roof...perhaps permanently affixed with a bead of Sikaflex adhesive and some strategically placed steel shank rivets.

I'm liking the idea of replacing the heavy glass in the roof with lighter aluminum. Shedding weight, especially up high, would help offset all the extras we invariably add to our trucks.

As for the 'what were they thinking' part about putting them in there in the first place, I guess it's sort of goes with the whole 7 seat thing. I personally can't imagine hauling around 7 people; even if you have kids (I don't). After all, I'd be most of us grew up in the back of regular old sedans, not 7 seat SUVs. If you need that sort of people-hauling space, a van would serve much better. But as long as you're going to pile people in the back, they need their own giant sunroof too, right?
I actually didn't realize my LR3 had the giant glass rear sunroof(s) until somebody asked me about it. I don't even use the front one usually, and of course don't even put people in the second row of seats regularly much less the third (which are likely to come out to create some useable storage, but that's for anther day)

unseenone

Explorer
My roof glass is cracked and I am debating replacement options. Replacement cost is pushing $1000. I have been debating, aluminum or lexan. As I have a rack and a RTT there is no need to have glass up there.

The metal roof part number is in the attachment on my post. PM me for recommended sources to order it. I did replace the roof glass on mine. Is yours cracked in the back, or over the passenger side 2nd row?

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
The metal roof part number is in the attachment on my post. PM me for recommended sources to order it. I did replace the roof glass on mine. Is yours cracked in the back, or over the passenger side 2nd row?

Crack is in the back and spreading forward slowly.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Broken Glass is typically covered under your auto insurance with no deductible (depending on your State).
D

johnsoax

Adventurer
I'm liking the idea of replacing the heavy glass in the roof with lighter aluminum. Shedding weight, especially up high, would help offset all the extras we invariably add to our trucks.

As for the 'what were they thinking' part about putting them in there in the first place, I guess it's sort of goes with the whole 7 seat thing. I personally can't imagine hauling around 7 people; even if you have kids (I don't). After all, I'd be most of us grew up in the back of regular old sedans, not 7 seat SUVs. If you need that sort of people-hauling space, a van would serve much better. But as long as you're going to pile people in the back, they need their own giant sunroof too, right?
I actually didn't realize my LR3 had the giant glass rear sunroof(s) until somebody asked me about it. I don't even use the front one usually, and of course don't even put people in the second row of seats regularly much less the third (which are likely to come out to create some useable storage, but that's for anther day)

I have two vehicles that back each other up. One is better at people carrying (Van), one is better at offroading, exploring, trailer pulling (LR3). Both can be called on to do either, depending on situation (except the van isn't going to do any offroading, and can't pull most of my trailers). I have 4 children, and when we go camping with the camper, we use all the seats...

Plus most of us grew up without the all present government mandating our children ride in seats that won't fit three across in a standard sedan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior