2003 LX470 - ARB Lockers - installed?

Nikson

Explorer
Anyone with LX470 gone through with the ARB front/rear locker installation?

I'm considering the installation, would like to see if anyone gone through with it.

Just want to opinion on location of the buttons, and possibly pictures of the install, where the air lines where ran, etc.

Gear swap at the same time? Tires have been upgraded to 285/65R18 BFG A/Ts, so Kurt from cruiseroutfitters.com suggested that I should go to 4.88s as well.

Thanks for any input -

I'll keep this thread up - hoping to be able to take detailed pictures of the ARB install, and post it here.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I have not done it myself, but am interested in the process.

The general consensus is if you need to do a gear swap, that is the best time to do it. Kurt's advice is worth its weight in gold in my opinion!!

You'll probably get a faster answer by search the archives on http://www.ih8mud.com] in the 100-series section.

Nikson

Explorer
I have not done it myself, but am interested in the process.

The general consensus is if you need to do a gear swap, that is the best time to do it. Kurt's advice is worth its weight in gold in my opinion!!

You'll probably get a faster answer by search the archives on http://www.ih8mud.com] in the 100-series section.

Am registered there, but see no good thread to answer my question...

Honestly, really dissaponted to find out how the Yota Forums been ran, IMHO Jeep guys are a lot more involved & organized as far as info...

I guess I might be the first to go into this and actually do a write up.

I recently regeared to 4.88s and installed a front locker. I have a 99 so I already have a rear e-locker. I also have the 4 Spd trans. I'm running 34" Toyos (285-75-17) and am happy with the regear. Gear shifts are smoother etc. I'm not sure if you need to regear with a 5spd trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikson

Explorer
I started TLCFAQ because of the disorganization of "yota" sites :)

Rob,

Have seen that, and downloaded the calculator... Always considered myself pretty comprehending person when it came to such things, but even your info still keeps me in the "confused" state.

Nikson

Explorer
I started TLCFAQ because of the disorganization of "yota" sites :)

Correct me if I'm wrong (for the calculator numbers)

with stock gears (4.10) and 31 tire - at 60MPH - RPMs will be around 1950
with upgraded to 4.88s and 33 tire - at 60MPH - RPMS will be around 2100

Did i figure it our this tire correct?

Nikson

Explorer
Sounds about right.

Being a former Jeep guy mostly, IMHO 150 RPMs isnt that much of a deal on MPGs, considering facts that an overlander usually carries a bunch more cargo and has a higher level of airflow resistance... so 150rpms extra would be a good thing...

Thanks Rob

MTSN

Explorer
Am registered there, but see no good thread to answer my question...

Honestly, really dissaponted to find out how the Yota Forums been ran, IMHO Jeep guys are a lot more involved & organized as far as info...

I guess I might be the first to go into this and actually do a write up.

Here's the deal with 100 series vs. Jeeps and the info out there on the interwebs. For every 100 series on the road, there are probably 10-30x the number of Jeeps. Also most 100 series are purchased for taking kids to soccer practice...and protecting dignataries in third world countries :D Most Jeeps are puchased for fun and modification. Of course there's going to be TONS more info on modding Jeeps because there are exponentially more Jeeps out there and the mods people do to them have been similar for decades. Mud is an excellent resource if you're willing to put some effort into searching, and Rob has done a fantastic job of organizing and collecting information on the 100. Basically any question I've ever wondered about has been found on Rob's site or Mud, and for those few times it can't be found that's when a new thread should be started!

hobie

yes i have done it, on many vehicles. my current land cruiser is arb front and rear.

are you asking about installing the arb carrier yourself? if so, totally doable even for a first timer. all you need to do is bolt the ring to the carrier and set the backlash. recheck pattern. this requiers a dial indicator, drill, tap, and basic tools. google up procedures for it.

you asked about gearing. what size tires do you have? ie: i would run 4.56 for 33's, 4.88 for 35s, 5.29 for 37s. its a personal preference things but thats a good road map. if in fact you need to regear, i have not done that. i would learn, but my best friend knows how so he does it for me, lol. i should learn seeing as how i have lost count on how many third members i have setup in the past 10 years.

my land cruiser has the compressor mounted in the engine compartment. the lines are ran along the frame rail. make sure to leave even slack for droop. also, the blue line will eventually crack. i wrap my blue line in fuel line to protect it.

to get more reliable, i trash the arb solenoids and switches and install air switches. arb solenoids love to take a crap. with air switches there is nothing to fail and you will not be left stranded without a locker. of course if you do air switches, you have to route the air lines into the cab. no bid deal. (coming from a racing background, reliability is the most important key when building a car)

any other specific questions or ideas, ask away:) let me know what pics you want and i will go take them for you

Nikson

Explorer
yes i have done it, on many vehicles. my current land cruiser is arb front and rear.

are you asking about installing the arb carrier yourself?

any other specific questions or ideas, ask away:) let me know what pics you want and i will go take them for you

I've decided to install 4.88s even to run my 33s at this point, along with throwing the ARBs front/rear, being very possible that I might upgrade the suspension from AHC to OME style 1 1/2 lift... and run 35 eventually, but only time will tell...

At this point - my guy that does gears, said he'll be able to take care of it all, shouldnt be a problem.

Just wasnt sure on what gearing to go with at first...

3d fj

Observer
To the OP. I have an 03 Lx470 and have done what you said. I removed the diff and rear 3rd, sent it to slee, they installed the lockers and gears (4.88's) and sent it back to me to put back together. I have the oem 80 switch and no other switch. I don't feel the need to have a separate compressor switch. I ran my rear airline down the passenger side frame rail. The front airline well.... just keep it away from the engine and moving parts.

One more thing... I'm using duratracs on 18's. the 295/65/18's i think. My speedo is about 11% off my gps. I will be going up to 35's on my 18's hopefully soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles