Gen 2 Montero Brake Pads + Rotors

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Who is/are the OE manufacturers for Gen 2 Montero brake pads and rotors?

Been browsing on RockAuto and a few other favorite parts supplier sites... can't seem to determine a standout pad + rotor.

What are you guys using?

I like factory stuff, or better. I'm not into buying cheap off-brand crap, especially when it comes to something like brakes. But this is not a race car either, just a daily driver. So something factory-grade is good enough for me.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
I just use duralast rotors and duralast ceramic pads, they are generally from the same manufacturing line as federal mogul aka moog parts. Otherwise if you want the best of the best I hear centric has really good quality parts, a lot of mechanics use them, but just looking at the centric parts page on why their parts are "superior" all the things they describe and show in pictures are 100% exactly what I get when buying Duralast parts.

To each their own I guess :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Napa used to carry stock Brembo rotor blanks(meaning not slotted or drilled) for 90% of cars on the road, if you can find them those are the best stock replacement around.

I pulled up some Brembo rotors on ebay.

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
These Wagner rotors I ordered from Rock Auto were stamped Brembo.

WAGNER BD125515 Rotor, Front
WAGNER BD125262 Rotor, Rear

I used these pads...the Raybestos were ordered from Rock Auto, also.
The Napa Ultra Premium line is supposedly re-badged Akebono, some of the finest pads on the market depending on who you ask.
NAPA UP-7412-X Brake Pads, Front (ceramic)
RAYBESTOS PGD567C Brake Pads, Rear (ceramic)

Keep in mind I have a Gen 2.5 but I think the brake parts are the same as on Gen 2s.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I use ATE PremiumOne Stop

Before I would get alot of brake fade especially with heavy load going down hill. So I switched to these and been very happy with them. They dont eat away pads as much as slotted or drilled ones do. The elliptical grove dissipates heat real well. Price was good.

ate_premiumOne_rotor.jpg

Last edited:

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Thanks for the replies!

Having mostly been a German car guy, I'm used to seeing other brands... I have been browsing the past few days, trying to get to know the brands that are out there for a Montero. I have a better idea now. Agreed - Akebono seems to be the OEM for Mitsubishi, and a well-respected brand. I'm always good with OEM.

I'm going to order my brake parts in a week or two - right now, here's what I'm planning on going with, unless I come across a better option before then:

- Akebono ProACT ceramic brake pads, front and rear set
- ATE PremiumOne slotted brake rotors, front and rear set

There are very few options for the parking brake shoes. Probably will end up with the Centric shoes. Can't find any info either way on these.

After this, I'll probably have to go after a slight wobble in the front end. Ball joint, idler arm, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles