On Board TV antenna setup

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but seeing as this is something of a communication question, this is where I'm gonna ask.

I've got a drop down TV installed on my Bronco and right now, I've got it hooked into my CD/DVD player and I like it just fine. However, lately I've been thinking about hooking it up to an antenna but I honestly have no idea where to start. I pulled the TV out of a junkyard van and pulled the whole wiring harness with it. I only used the part of the harness I needed for the DVD, but I've got some bits left that I think includes a signal booster for a TV antenna. An IEC GLI, whatever that is. lol. The TV has two input ports and I've used one for the DVD player. The other I'm hoping to hook up to an antenna.

What antenna should I use? Do I need any sort of signal booster? How should I mount any antenna I get?

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
If its an older TV you'll need a digital to analog converter/tuner device as all TV is now digital. If its an LCD type screen it might have one already. There are lots of various antennas out there now days - including some "flat panel" type that would probably work well - go to a Best Buy store to see several different kinds. The antenna will depend on if you want in town or remote reception - in town is easier.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If its an older TV you'll need a digital to analog converter/tuner device as all TV is now digital. If its an LCD type screen it might have one already. There are lots of various antennas out there now days - including some "flat panel" type that would probably work well - go to a Best Buy store to see several different kinds. The antenna will depend on if you want in town or remote reception - in town is easier.

It is a drop down LCD and I'm pretty sure it has the digital tuner integrated. It was an aftermarket install on a van and I was able to look up the model number. I may go with the flat panel one. I've looked around Ebay and that seemed the primary model. I'll stop by a Best Buy and ask them about it. I am aiming more for in town for now. I may come up with something a bit more extreme for camping. The antenna is more for kicks than anything else.

mrshish

Observer
Just a FYI, the digital signal doesn't work well in a moving vehicle so if you were hoping to have something for the kids to watch on a road trip it won't do a very good job. The range of most DTV stations is also somewhat limited. For around town it may not be very bad but if you get too remote you could run into problems. Here's a site showing what's available in your area. http://www.antennapoint.com/

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
When you say input that implies to me that it may not have a tuner. Are they composite video/audio inputs, like yellow/red/white RCA jacks? Does it have any sort of brand or model markings? Not sure what sort of connectors they'd use for mobile TV but I would have guessed tuner inputs would be coax, like an F, SMA or something. I would expect it to say something like RF in or antenna.

The part you call a booster might actually be the tuner, though if it says IEC GLI that usually means IEC Ground Loop Isolator. IEC means International Electrotechnical Commission, which is similar to the UL as a technical standards body. A ground loop isolator is prevent the TV from creating (e.g. radiating) onto or being affected by noise (e.g. being susceptible) from the vehicle computers, ignition, etc. due to poor ground wiring techniques.

If what you have doesn't have a tuner, you can get mobile ones like this:

http://www.firebird-systems.com/graphics/tuner-dmt9/car-tv-tuner-dmt9.3.shtml

dmt9.2-L.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, both Best Buy and Radio shack let me down. Only home TV stuff there. :( So anybody here do an in vehicle TV installation and have an antenna recommendation for me? I've seen flat mounts that I can stick on my roof, but I'm not sure how they'll react to the heavier gage steel of my bronco.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The only system I am aware of that will allow watching TV from a moving vehicle is by KVH, it allows you to watch Direct TV programming with subscription:

http://www.kvh.com/Leisure/RV-Systems/Television.aspx

Sirius also launched TV viewing (Nickelodeon), but that requires a subscription as well.

Your best bet is to stream video from your phone if you don't want to spend $ and have an unlimited data plan.

zelatore

Explorer
The only system I am aware of that will allow watching TV from a moving vehicle is by KVH, it allows you to watch Direct TV programming with subscription:

http://www.kvh.com/Leisure/RV-Systems/Television.aspx

Sirius also launched TV viewing (Nickelodeon), but that requires a subscription as well.

Your best bet is to stream video from your phone if you don't want to spend $ and have an unlimited data plan.

There are plenty of systems that allow satellite TV (Dish, DirecTV) underway in the marine market, but they're all $$$. KVH, King, Intellian, Raymarine, etc.

Although I don't think I've ever tried using one underway, there are also broadcast antennas for the marine market that might work for you at much more reasonable prices. Shakespeare, Digital Antenna, etc.

This should provide a starting point.

http://www.westmarine.com/tv-antennas

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
A Marine gimbal sat dish is big $.... and would be huge for a vehicle. Except for the $10k one listed, all of those are designed for port viewing.

BLM... lolz.

zelatore

Explorer
Well, the are very expensive to be sure but you can do an under-way stabilized auto-tracking system for much less than $10K. The TracVision M3 will work underway...I've installed a few of them. But regardless, I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP had in mind.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
But regardless, I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP had in mind.

I don't plan on spending more than a few hundred on this guys. lol. Its just something to make my "favorite uncle" responsibilities easier. Just enough to get some local channels like news channels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier