New-ish guy sayin' hello.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I keep thinking I want to connect a separate button for my OE horn, just for a polite "toot" every now and then. I do feel a bit guilty unleashing the Hellas for someone who's checking their phone after the light turns green. ;-)

philos

Explorer
I'm finding that the $190 I just spent on battery cables will be well spent... They came in the mail today, and holy jeebus on a pinwheel these things are massive!!! I'm gonna wait a few days to install. Also need to get to the junkyard and find a box for the second battery on the frame rail.
4ehamu7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djbonsu

Adventurer
Where did you get those cables from? Are you installing the battery under the hood onto the frame rails? Or starting a house battery setup? Those things are BEEFY for sure

philos

Explorer
found 'em on ebay. Did a search for the part# (WC-95714) and found a local vendor that also had a good deal. Make sure you get the ground cable too. There's also one for dual alternators (WC-95713 I think) if you're thinking ahead.
My van SHOULD have two batteries, however the PO parked it outside his shop and the second battery (frame mounted) was stolen along with the box and a couple feet of cable. She starts alright on one battery, but I'd like it back like it came...also the terminals are toast on the main battery. A third battery may be in the future tho'.

djbonsu

Adventurer
wow, it amazes me that someone would go through the hassle of stealing the frame battery. smh. thanks for the info!

philos

Explorer
Got my urethane bedliner kit a couple weeks ago, figured now was a good time to spray it on...
First, I COMPLETELY underestimated the time I'd be spending with a wire wheel...two days later I finished that portion!
Lots of simple green and acetone, a little tape and plastic, a couple sore shoulders, and she's done.
Later this afternoon I can start putting my few interior pieces back on.

Before....
y5era7u6.jpg

megu9a8e.jpg
hujy2uja.jpg
dusahy8e.jpg
6amaba7u.jpg

And after
udunepud.jpg
7utu2aba.jpg
qupuveqe.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

olddodgevan

Observer
Great job, that should help with the road noise. I need to do this with my rig. Prob only do the cab right now. Too much cabinetry and such for a full spray.

philos

Explorer
Nice work! Looks like you are doing it right! What are your plans to finish off the interior? Your van is in a prime state to install a Quiet Ride insulation kit. Kinda pricey, but everyone seems to appreciate the precut panels and the reduction in road noise.

Thanks!
I actually have several 40" x 50" rolls of Ensolite. I also have some thermal barrier just like the quiet ride. I still need to order some Damplifier and front carpet, but the bank has been taking some hits. It'll be a little bit before I can really finish it out (more time to figure it out too). I also have to figure out what I'm doing for windows; I bought three large T-sliders like conversion vans have, but I'm leaning towards just one behind the driver's seat so the kids can see out. I may also try and retrofit a stock window... decisions.

Speaking of the bank taking hits, there's today for example: I was nearly finished installing the new battery cable and I went a turn too far on the starter solenoid post and had to go find another starter in town (and a ride too)... That got installed along with both batteries. I went to fire her up and.....nothing. No lights, no fuses, nada. I still don't have a FSM yet, so I poked around with a test light and multimeter for 40 minutes. Then I checked doctor google. Then I called the Auto Club and took it to my mechanic. Good times!
I left the new cam position sensor with him too... I was going to do that today too, but I tucked tail.

philos

Explorer
Had some free time today so I cut a big-*** hole in my van!
I filled the big empty space with a conversion van style window with a T slider. Still need to trim the inside out, but it's all nice and snug! My kids should be stoked!
e5ugy3e5.jpg
ana5ubyj.jpg
4u6egyhu.jpg

And a shot of the windows I did on the barn doors a couple months ago...
ysu2eve9.jpg

Also, my neighbor's dog seemed to take an interest in today's fun...
zenu7apy.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Good day's progress was had on the sound dampening and insulation front...
Got some eBay butyl knockoff sheets stuck down and then glued ensolite on top of that. Got the rear-most portion done and three doors. I'm going to glue reflectix down on top of all that. I'll likely double layer in sections too...
Before....
umurehu8.jpg

ga3a3a5u.jpg

5aqa5uje.jpg

azutynem.jpg

de7uduje.jpg

During....
uzanequ2.jpg

I found that the eBay Damplifier knockoff wasn't quite as thick, but it has NO SMELL, and my fingers are clean. I used plenty of blades cutting the stuff into strips as it seemed to eat them up. I've used about 15 feet so far and think I'll squeak by with the 20 I bought. We'll see...
jyzasaqa.jpg

ty7y2y9e.jpg

And the ensolite going down....
e2edynub.jpg

peruvu8a.jpg

uda6yqe3.jpg

apu3a7u6.jpg

ra6eta2y.jpg

a5yhuqyg.jpg

u5u5usaq.jpg

So, still lots to do but there's already a difference. Hopefully I get some time tomorrow too!

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Yeah, it rattles much less than before (nearly rattle-free) and there's less road noise too. The doors thump now when closing. I got much of the reflectix glued down today but I didn't take pics.... I was busy!
After I got the ceiling done with a layer of reflectix, the temps dropped inside noticeably. It was a neat trick, going from sweatbox to tolerable!
I'll try and get a few pics as I finish up.

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles