1995 Montero SR Plasti Dipped Project

ricky.valdez

I just picked up this 1995 Montero SR in SoCal a few days ago. Since then I have play around with changing the colors as the flares and trim were peeling away. So for temporary purposes and mainly budget purposes I decided to use Plasti Dip. I started off with the wheels and then went to the trim & flares.

[/ATTACH]image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Once I got to the trim & flares I went to Home Depot to pick up more Plasti Dip. One of the employees convinced me to try the new Restoleum Flex Dip. And of course I don't know what I was thinking when I tried the matte grey too. Well the Flex Dip went on extremely thin, didn't go on evenly, and was too runny. In the end, it looked like I used primer on my trim and flares. Just look unfinished. So I went back to Home Depot and told them the Flex Dip did not match the quality of the Plasti Dip so they gave me all my money back without questions.

This is what my 95 Montero SR looked like after it was done the right way with Plasti Dip.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

ricky.valdez

I used 5 1/2 cans for the flares and 4 cans for the wheels. I would definitely watch the YouTube videos before applying. I experimented with my spare tire first and glad I did because I was being to gentle with spraying and ended up cause a rough texture.

Once I got the technique down of spraying the first coat with 50% transparency 4-5 inches away and then following each coat with even coverage it all turn out good.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
How is this stuff holding up? I know a few of you guys are using it but how does it look after a year in the sun and a dozens of trails with tight brush.

ricky.valdez

It will defiantly have to get touched up once in a while. But there is a new trick to help and that's using paint thinner and a chemical safe glove. Anytime you have scratches, bubbling, etc. you would dabb a little thinner on your figure and work it on the damage area until smooth. After it dries you would add to quick coats on the area.

As for fading, the tip is to use a product like Amoral tire shine to keep the PB looking nice.

poriggity

Explorer
So you're the lucky one that snagged his Monty. Very nicely done, and way to make it your own! Love me some plastidip!

GFO

Observer
Love it. I have been going back and forth on painting my side molding for years now. You might have just convinced me to finally do it.

ricky.valdez

I haven't had it ran it through the car wash yet. I'm hoping to get it pretty dirty in the desert first and then run it through. I'll let you know how it holds up though.

But before I do anything I have to touch up a few spots since I messed up some areas where I didn't peel the masking tape before it dried up. It will be a quick fix though.

My only advice is to practice on spraying the plasti dip on something else before committing. You don't want to spray too far away and leave a funky texture.

poriggity

Explorer
I haven't had it ran it through the car wash yet. I'm hoping to get it pretty dirty in the desert first and then run it through. I'll let you know how it holds up though.

But before I do anything I have to touch up a few spots since I messed up some areas where I didn't peel the masking tape before it dried up. It will be a quick fix though.

My only advice is to practice on spraying the plasti dip on something else before committing. You don't want to spray too far away and leave a funky texture.

But the great thing about plastidip is that it peels off! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94