New Gen III and a Question About Tires

howitz

First off, here's my new to me 2003 Montero XLS on it's first trip out to the woods a couple weeks ago.

montero1.jpg

On to my question; I'm taking it to Alaska from Michigan at the end of the month so it's just out of the shop for a full tune up and to fix a coolant leak that cropped up, only thing left to do now is get a new set of tires on it. I've read on some of the Australian forums about some people having issues with larger tires causing the torque converter to stay unlocked and the automatic transmission to overheat. It seems to be only with the diesel versions towing or carrying heavy loads but some seem to think larger tires alone could cause it. I'm thinking it's a non issue considering after searching I haven't been able to find much regarding it on this forum, but has anyone had any problems with this? This is my first vehicle with an auto transmission so I just wanted to check before I drop the cash on new tires. Probably going to go with 235/85 16's.

Also....does anyone else's stock radio get hot as balls? If I pop a cd out after driving for a couple hours it damn near burns my fingers, kinda wondering if that's normal...

Thanks

magoh76

Adventurer
I'm running 235/85 on my 2001 with no problems. Only thing is that the skinny tires really need spacers to "look" right, which I haven't done, but it doesn't bother me.

I haven't experienced the hot radio issue.

FullMonte

Adventurer
Heya howitz! your 03 looks beautiful! that's how mine was, xcept it was a limited (same beautiful viking white color). I do remember the hot radio tho, that's why I changed my 06 with a sony double din with a back up camera.

as far as the tires, I haven't crossed that path just yet.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
235/85/16s on mine the day after we bought it.

No issues with the transmission at all.

No rubbing or fit issues either. We'll be taking our's on a multi-week trip to B.C., and back down to AZ, and I think it'll fair just fine.

plh

Explorer
We have LT265 70R 17 on the '05. Tires fit fine. They are Falcon Wildpeak ATs. Although touted as quiet tires, they are not good on this chassis. Very loud interior howl. Have put 30K miles on them. No change since new. Looking to replace soon. Have some long distance travel planned for summer. These won't be making the trip.

Last edited:

cnutco

Adventurer
I running 255/85-16 KM2 (33")... Although, she has a 2" OME lift. No issues here.

py5apuna.jpg

7yme7aqa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Good looking Montero there.

Are you running spacers on those wheels at all

And the random question; are you near Lake Chatuge? I was out in Hiawasee for a week visiting family last month.

howitz

Thanks for all the help guys, just got some new Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 235/85's put on today, good to go. Also got a folding sleeping platform built in the back, I'll get some pics up later if the weathers not too crappy this week.

cnutco

Adventurer
Good looking Montero there.

Are you running spacers on those wheels at all

And the random question; are you near Lake Chatuge? I was out in Hiawasee for a week visiting family last month.

Thank you! No Sir, no spacers. I have though about them, but I like the mud and crap staying inside the wheel well.

I'm in NE GA. Jackson county. Not too far from Hiawasee I believe.

The first pic was in NE GA near North Carolina and the second is in NW GA near Rome playing around.

Last edited:

cnutco

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help guys, just got some new Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 235/85's put on today, good to go. Also got a folding sleeping platform built in the back, I'll get some pics up later if the weathers not too crappy this week.

That was the first tire I put on mine when I got her. I thought they did really good! No complaints at all! I still have them and plan to put them on an extra set of wheels when I find some.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I just put 255/85r16s on my 2003. They fully clear (no lift). They measure right at 33.5" diameter (Toyos).

plh

Explorer
Anybody have experience with LT265/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs on the Gen 3 chassis? What load range are people running C? or E? The Wild Peaks I have now are E.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier