Masterflow MV-50/MF-1050 getting scarce?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A few years back the venerable Masterflow MV-50 or MF-1050 seemed to be the default compressor for most of us here in CO at least. Sold at Pep Boys for $59 or so, and some were even available at Costco for a while. Also available on Amazon (ordered the wife's that way for her jeep.)

Mine broke coming back from DE-IV, so I naturally went to replace it, only to find that many of the on-line sources have dried up. Amazon still sells it, but through a 3rd party that adds a whopping $22.50 shipping charge (on a $66 item!) Wal-Mart.com also lists it - For $85!!! :Wow1:

So I figured I'd hit the local Pep Boys as they always have a few.

Nope, went to two different stores. They have the inferior MF-1040, but not the 1050 (even though there's a spot for it on their shelves, it was empty.)

Got the parts guy to look it up and his system told him it was "not available?"

Just wondering if the 1050/MV50 is being discontinued?

I know some people had bad experiences with the 1050. I've used 3 (the first one I had was stolen from my truck so I replaced it with another one, and we got one for my wife to use on her Jeep.) Never had a problem.

My thought is that while the 1050 is a great $50 - $60 compressor, I don't think I'd be willing to pay nearly $85 for one (which is what the Amazon one would cost by the time you add the ridiculous "shipping" charge.)

Anyway, rather than go down that rabbit hole any more, I went ahead and ordered a ViAir 90p. Cost was around $75 with free shipping from Amazon. From the looks it appears to be similar to the 1050 in terms of size and capability. I'll try to post a review once I get mine in, which should be next week.

Not sure how old yours is but I had one go bad on the first trip I used it. It was several months old by then so Amazon would not take it back. I emailed the manufacturer and after a couple of days they requested a mailing address. I gave it to them and nothing else was said. A week later a new one in the box showed up! So give them a try!

Stripped the other one down and found a defect with the piston that was digging into the cylinder wall. Couple mins with a dremel and sand paper and it was running like new!

craig333

Expedition Leader
Mine failed within minutes. Took it apart and found out they just never bothered to finish bolting it together. Not great but for fifty bucks and ten minutes I can't complain too much.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Never had any luck with the MV-50's. Gone through about 3 of them. I'd say pay the extra and get a decent air compressor that'll work when you need it.

Easier than messing around with a crappy compressor that won't do its job.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I bought a couple of MV-50s back when Checker was blowing them out for $25. Both are still working, although one needs a new switch.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, I ordered the ViAir 90P. Anybody here have experience with that one? In terms of size and capability it seems very similar to the 1050.

Kuma632

Observer
I recently purchased a Superflow MV-50, for <$65.
Sold by Amazon, w/ Prime Free shipping.
Works well enough for my needs, though likely insufficient
for an Expedition Leader. We'll see how it goes as far as longevity.
Anyway, they are still available as of a couple weeks ago.
I've no experience with the Viair, though I understand they're both
"you get what you pay for" type deals.
Bless,~Kuma

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I ordered mine through walmarts online in store delivery system

I think it cost me about $75 that way

with temps above 50F it works fine, however last winter at -10 it took over 10 minutes on the GF's small 215/75/15 tire to reach 35psi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier