Eccotemp L5 + Sportsmobile

Hey Sportsmobile Owners,
I'm a newcomer to the sportsmobile clan. My Girlfriend and I just bought an 87 2wd sportsmobile and set off on a half year long roadtrip. We bought an eccotemp l5 for showers. We haven't been able to figure out how to hook the eccotemp up to the onboard propane system. The supplied hose/regulator is meant for a bbq style propane tank (CSA?) not a horizontal vehicle mounted tank (ACME?). Has anyone tried to do what we are doing? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys,
I will check out the sportsmobile forum for answers to this (and my many other) questions. That tee you linked to sounds like what I need (haven't checked out the link yet). Thanks again.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The L5 uses an in-line regulator to connect to a bottle of liquid propane; it's the big silver thing at the tank end of the hose. If your van has a propane tank built-in you can connect your water heater to it no problem. You could either connect to an open port on your tank and use your regulator but there is a better way: Your van will have a regulator already so you can just connect with a tee fitting where your stove (or fridge, etc) connects now. I'm good on the propane but the use of the L5 interests me. That thing is way less expensive than I expected. Very interested in how you'll mount it, etc. Looks like it has to be outside so a quick-disconnect propane fitting or lengthy flexible hose seems to be in order. What's your plan?

86scotty

Cynic
Howbout an update on this? I don't want to hijack but I'm about to do the same thing. I am going to put it indoors though. If you read some of Amazon's few hundred reviews on this thing, several people have put them indoors without offing themselves. You just have to vent it. For me, that will mean using it with the penthouse screens and windows or a door open. It makes a lot of heat, some say, and can be effectively used as a heater if you run in in a sealed RV for long.
I am planning to adapt my old stove connection to it since I removed the stove, using my SMB's regulator and lines. The unit will go right behind the front seat.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am putting mine inside. I plan to have it in a sealed box that is exhausted and vented to the outside. Being an on-demand system, how long will it actually be firing? I don't think it's as much of a co hazard as most people fear. I will probably have some ventilation going on after a shower anyways to get the humidity out of the camper. Mine came with a rain cap but I wanted to vent out the side. I found a great deal on an exhaust pipe here: http://www.pexuniverse.com/z-flex-2sveewcf0490-z-vent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne