Long time listener, first time caller: renting an overlander vehicle?

benmayer1979

Hello everyone,
Hope this is the right location for this post. Does anybody know of a place near Atlantic Canada to rent an overlander type Landcruiser? Open to other locations, but the fam and I will be in Atlantic Canada this summer and would like to try out this to see if we want to take the plunge. Background on us, we teach overseas so we are only in North America for 4-8 weeks in the summertime. We might consider coming back during a longer school break in the middle of year as well, but so far, we only go back in the summer. This is one reason why we are looking to rent, because at the moment, we would only need it for a couple weeks a year.
If we really dig it while renting, then I can see us making a purchase even though we do not live in NA and we would take advantage during our holidays (plus it would be ready for when we DO move back). Thanks for all the great information posted on these forums and thanks for any information you can provide for me.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Ouch - thats not cheap. On the other side you got an full equipped well designed capable overland verhicle. To try not an bad idea.

Looking at that offer as a tourist: Starting from two weeks travelling it better to ship my own overlander car from switzerland to the US, if I look at the bucks.

But they will have reasons for that $$ - maybe to much accidents from unexperienced drivers.

4x4tripping

Flagster

Expedition Leader
For four to eight weeks you are talking 20-30 grand or more at those rental prices...
I think for that money you could buy a truck and camper off craigslist and resell for a very small loss...1-2K in that time span

00greenwj

Best option? Durango, Co to the east coast of Canada? Only a 40 hour drive each way. Here's my suggestion, buy something on Craigslist and sell it cheap when your done. You will still come out ahead. A decent Jeep Cherokee(XJ), Walmart tent and camping equipment will work fine and run you around $5K(US). Need to get hardcore? Then add a lunch box locker in the back, 2" BB lift, and cheap craigslist 31" mud tires for around $1K more you will be able to go anywhere you want to go within reason. Good Luck, stay safe, and start a post when you do your trip!

haven

Expedition Leader
How many people are in your family? Squeezing people, their luggage, and camping equipment into a Jeep or Land Cruiser might be uncomfortably tight for a four week trip. (The Wrangler Unlimited has more space for cargo than the Land Cruiser, due to the space taken by the third row of seats standard in the Toyota.)

A better bet may be a Chevrolet Suburban 4x4 SUV, or a 2WD full size van. Both types of vehicles can be rented at major airports in eastern Canada.

Another possibility is renting an RV. While you probably should avoid the large Class C models if you plan to drive on unimproved roads, many companies also rent truck campers (pickups with slide-in campers) and van conversions. These might work for two adults and two children.

Scott Brady

Founder
For four to eight weeks you are talking 20-30 grand or more at those rental prices...
I think for that money you could buy a truck and camper off craigslist and resell for a very small loss...1-2K in that time span

I am sure they have better rates for longer rentals.

MTSN

Explorer
Fly into Denver and rent my 100 series from me :D I was considering doing an adventure rentals company at some point..

benmayer1979

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the responses. To clarify however, only looking to rent for 7 to 10 days. Was simply stating the amount of time we spend in NA each year while trying to determine between buying for keeps or renting to see if it is something we want to continue with. Tough to decide between renting each summer(budget, enterprise, etc) and then being done with a vehicle or buying one, working out the insurance, storage and upkeep and then having it in the back of my mind while I am away pondering what kind of rodents are getting into and other problems.

Like someone said, buy one, drive it across the country and sell it when finished. Maybe that is the way to go?
Thanks again and keep up the great work by everyone on here who helps and gives advice to newbies like me. Lots of good info on these forums.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94