4Door Bronco build

fireball

Explorer
Wow, this is going to be awesome! A year and a half ago when I bought my Bronco I had dreams of loading the family up, pulling a small trailer and it being our adventure vehicle. Turns out that 2 kids, a large dog, all our gear and 1000+mile trips isn't the ideal match for an Early Bronco. So we ended up with the Land Cruiser, which works a lot better but isn't nearly as fun or cool!

So I applaud your efforts and will anxiously follow along.

patl

Adventurer
Thanks Fireball. Lot of work, but it's starting to come together. Frame extensions are welded in and body mounts are built and tacked in place.

005 (7).JPG

Tomorrow the new hat channel for the floor support will be fitted and welded in. Floor should be bent and ready to pick up in the afternoon. Then the roll cage can be started.

patl

Adventurer
Super glue!
Great day today. Got frame body mounts welded in, floor support fitted and welded, and ready to set new section of floor tomorrow. Starting to look like a complete vehicle again.

002 (12).JPG

fireball

Explorer
Are you stretching a full hardtop or using a half car top so that the cargo area is open like a truck bed?

fcopy.jpg

patl

Adventurer
Stretching a half cab top to fit. Will be similar to this without a separate bed. Fits just like a regular half cab top. Thomas will probably have a full hardtop on his.

patl

Adventurer
Well Friday is here and we are close to our goal for the week. Floor is in and ready to be welded. Will start the roll cage Monday.

001 (13).JPG

One more week should see it ready for paint.

New rocker cut to size and fitted.

001 (14).JPG

Now we will cut them down for a 2" x 5" tube rock slider. Will be welded directly to the sheet metal. Really stiffens up the body.

002 (14).JPG

Last edited:

patl

Adventurer
Went to look at the top today. Finally coming together. Hopefully mold will be complete by next week and first top ready to be laid.

005.JPG

Difficult part we are working on now. Trying to tie center hinge/strike post to roll cage to keep stable. Having some challenges, but I think we have a solution. Will have pictures tomorrow.

big a

Adventurer
Wow!!! Way cool man!!!!

I'm currently restoring and modding a '68 Bronco. I've got a Cummins 4BT, NV4500 Tranny and a NP241 Transfer w/ a SYE. Still in the mock up phase though.

This is gonna b a fun build to watch!!! Nice work!!!

-Andy

Last edited:

patl

Adventurer
Thanks Andy,
Love the idea of the 4bt, just don't like the noise. Have a 6bt in a '77 F250 crewcab and it's much quieter.

Today we finally got the cage coming together. Will tie in to a 1 1/2" x 3" tube which is welded to the door post. This way cage can be unbolted from the post and removed, but is tied to the tubing which becomes part of the structure. Once all the other tubes are added and gussets welded in should be plenty strong for my needs. It's not a rock crawler.

roll cage 003.JPG

Painters came by today and are working up a price. By the end of next week should have everything close to ready to go back on rotisserie. Said they could be ready for it at the end of the month. In the meantime, will finish painting the frame and start putting springs, diffs, engine, and trans. Haven't decided on t-case yet.

Nimisha

Bronco has amazing look and it`s four doors are swinging . Thomas sent everything on machine shop for build it properly .and on Monday he will get back bronco. I think people has curious to see 4door bronco . Thomas Kinser, of Krawler's Edge Bronco shared their dreams to others by made this 4door Bronco. Thanks to Thomas Kinser, of Krawler for this encouragement .You give such a wonderful new ideas and innovation. Keep it up .

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just my opinion, but I really don't care for the look of the green four door posted previously. I think it looks hacked together. I think a full hardtop would make it look less "frankentruck". Yours will probably look better with the single piece bodywork, but I'm still not sold on the half cab look.

Fantastic project though, and its going together quickly. Very impressive.

big a

Adventurer
Yeah, I agree, LOUD as all get out!!!!!! I'll spend a few hundred on sound deadening!!!

You really are doing a great job!!! I'm loving all the fab work! I've learned a ton working on mine!! I can't wait to see your final creation!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles