4Door Bronco build

big a

Adventurer
Patl, that steering assist is slick!!! I'm thinking I may need to do that with mine. We'll see though. I've got a 4x4x2 box installed on mine, so maybe it'll be strong enough. I know my '02 Dodge Cummins 4x4 wouldn't hardly turn unless I was rolling, so with that heavy 4bt, I may have the same problem. I should be caught up soon with the house and onto electrical for the shop!!! Later this fall I'll be head deep back in my bronco :)

-Andy

patl

Adventurer
Little trip out by the lake for pictures this weekend. Have submitted an article to Bronco Driver magazine, and Tom wanted additional shots for their selections. Possible cover issue? He won't say, but we are still hopeful! Will be my 3rd article in his mag.

Vertical pictures 004.JPG

Vertical pictures 011.JPG

Bronco is driving like a dream. Only small issues to deal with. Hopefully will plan for mid September to start West. Will probably head to Wyoming first to beat the snow, and then work southward to southern Utah and Arizona.

Looking forward to the Shades of the Past event in Pigeon Forge in September when all the show cars and clubs come to town. With 2 shows back to back on following weekends there can be upwards of 4000- 5000 vehicles of all descriptions at the events and cruising the strip at any given time. People come from all over the country. Should definitely get some national attention. One of my favorite weekends of the year.

big a

Adventurer
Awesome! Congrats on the mag! Would make for an awesome cover!!!! Maybe next yr I'll be up and running and hitting the trails!!!

Glad things are goin well with the rig! Sure is a bute!!!!

-Andy

tuffstripes

Now that you've done it, how "easy" (nothing is easy, but certainly less "discovery") would it be to do another? I bet there is enough demand to build a few of these.

patl

Adventurer
This is actually the second 4dr built in Thomas' shop and yes, his intentions are to build them commercially. When I talked to him the other day, he was in negotiations with a customer for the next 4dr build.

Although no part of this was easy, the ideas learned from the first one helps shorten the learning curve involved. My door posts were done a little different from Rick's, and I figured out a better way to shorten the rear doors. Modifying the rear seat was a little challenge, and stretching the half cab top to fit (and then building a mold so more could be made later), took over a year. The hardest part is actually engineering and designing the features. Once the decision is made of how to do it, the actual work is straightforward. Other than the pieces which made it into a 4dr, the rest is just like doing a restoration on any Bronco. Except for having to fit a couple extra doors, which was a real pain.

Would I do it again? No way. I'll probably never even paint my '76 Bronco. But the experience was something that I will treasure for the rest of my life. But Thomas will build you one even better than mine. Rick's will have a custom tube frame with 3 & 4 link air ride suspension, 4bt Cummins, and ZF 5spd transmission.

patl

Adventurer
Krawlers Edge Fall Cruise- some pictures out at Indian Boundary campground with the Ekotrek trailer and RTT. Beautiful day in East Tenn. with the Fall colors. Many comments on both trailer and Bronco. Great day!

Fall Cruise 005.JPG

patl

Adventurer
Thanks guys-
Haven't even received mine yet, but 2 people have called and told me about it. After years of being sent to the back row with my '76 for the pictures at different events I can finally be on the front row. Only problem is the events are getting so big they can't line them up anymore.
Can't wait for the Super Celebration in April. And thanks, Todd. Tom has said he will give me several copies, but can always use more.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Great build and awesome looking truck! didn't check in for quite a while on this and so glad to have read through what I missed.
Can't wait to see more of this truck in action!

patl

Adventurer
It seems no matter how well planned or executed a build always winds up with a few tweaks. Hopefully, this is the last major issue to be dealt with. In the summer running at speed is no problem- changed from a 180 to a 195 degree thermostat which helped cooling a good bit. But at stoplights temps begin to climb quickly, especially with the Vintage Air turned on. So Thomas is swapping over to a clutch fan setup similar to what was on the Lightning trucks from the factory. Most of the March brackets are gone and new ones made to help move everything back to give enough clearance for the fan. Was unable to find a shorter nose clutch setup, so changed to a different timing cover which moved everything back a little more. After a couple of days playing with the spacers, alignment has finally been achieved. Just waiting on the fan now so it can be road tested.

Clutch fan brackets 003.JPG

Clutch fan brackets 005.JPG

Had to put the old horse on its knees for Jeff to be able to get at the front end a little easier. When everything is checked out, will pull it back apart so brackets can be powder coated. Anyone interested in a nice March serpentine setup for a 351 Windsor?

Maybe I can pick up a little more horsepower and mileage with this setup, and better cooling at idle. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz