4Door Bronco build

patl

Adventurer
Looking around for bumper ideas and found out the bumpers on the green Bronco are made by Logans Metal Products. My bad. I really like the rear design. Front is well made, but just a little too many angles for me. Not a bad price with just the tire carrier rear.

Last edited:

patl

Adventurer
Haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks- basically because everything being done now is in someone else's hands. The body is still at the painters, and the mold for the hardtop is progressing at an infinitely slow pace. Both claim they will be done in a couple of weeks, so we'll see.

001.JPG

Blocking stage- can't hurry this part.

005 (2).JPG

Working on the rain gutter, which is the last part of the mold. Fiberglass guys say 2 weeks will see a new top being laid.

This is definitely the most agonizing part of the build. Just have to focus on building the bumpers and completing the dash modifications.

fireball

Explorer
Do your homework on the 2 bumper mfg's you mention above. Pretty sure CB.com is filled with some pretty unhappy customers for both those outfits. It's unfortunate, because they both look pretty cool.

patl

Adventurer
Yeah Fireball,
Don't need any additional frustration at this point. I've got a guy bending some plate for the rear bumper now. Will attempt to build something similar, with some changes. Ordering the tire carrier parts today. After reading all the negative reviews it really is discouraging because both bumpers are well made.

patl

Adventurer
Went by the painters- said final block sanding is about done on body and fenders, except for the firewall. Grill will get attention next. Final primer on the rest of the body is being sprayed and word is topcoat will begin by next week. Can barely wait.

003 (16).JPG

Also fiberglass guys have laid last section of the mold and are making reinforcements. They claim another week will also see the first top being laid.

004 (14).JPG

Maybe it's finally coming together after all!

patl

Adventurer
Don't know if they will take it to that level since I do plan on driving it a lot. But I have trusted Thomas' judgement in everything so far and have been very happy, so these little details I'll leave up to him. It will definitely be getting a lot of attention wherever it goes. Won't make it to the level of Ratman1979's blue Bronco I'm sure, but that truck was built for SEMA and is super slick. Rick's 4 door will also go to the next level in finish and sophistication with the custom tube frame and air ride suspension. Me, I just wanted a nice Bronco to explore the American West and be comfortable in, and I don't think it will disappoint. Still, it will be a showcase for Thomas' innovations and abilities, and deserves a little more attention to detail than the norm.

patl

Adventurer
Has anyone had issues with Procar seats? Ordered two elite in black vinyl with the cloth inserts and one came in full of mold.
Evidently was shipped directly from Malaysia wet since boxing was intact. Not really happy with the response in trying to resolve the problem, either. When you order they want their money right now. When it comes to their correcting their problems, they could care less. Not happy with the whole process, them shipping something to my home that could be a potential health threat.

patl

Adventurer
On a more positive note, the mold is finished for the stretched half cab top, and the first top will start getting laid tomorrow. This is Rick's and is going to be gloss black. Mine should be next and will be some shade of grey. With the tub coming out of paint in the next week or so, should finally be coming together. Just don't know if it will be completed in time to get out West this Fall before the snow flies.

patl

Adventurer
Pictures of the molds- they still have to be leveled and braced. The first top is being laid this week, and mine should be ready next week if everything goes well.

Mold done 001.JPG

Mold done 002.JPG

This is the plug and a preview of what a finished top should look like.

Mold done 004.JPG

Will visit the painters tomorrow and see if any white paint is flying.

patl

Adventurer
Went by the painters today and word is body should be sprayed tomorrow. Will have pictures if possible tomorrow evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94