4Door Bronco build

patl

Adventurer
Well, here it is Friday again and not a lot to report. Got the rear shock mounts welded in, gas tank installed, fuel lines run, and brake lines run along with proportioning valve. This in addition to moving more things into the new shop.

001 (17).JPG

003 (15).JPG

Rick will be coming in this weekend to work on his 4 door, so the focus next week will be to get his ready for paint.

patl

Adventurer
Interesting you should mention Bronco Driver, Bobby, as I had written and submitted an article to John not long after I started the post on my build on this site. It gives the background as to how Thomas and Rick first began the build on Rick's 4 door. It can be found in this month's issue (#62, I think), and you'll notice a lot of the wording is similar to the start of this post. It's titled "Either Build It or Shut Up"- Part 1.

Mold for top 002.JPG

Here is a picture of the fist part of the mold being built for the stretched half cab top. Bracing should now be in place and the rest of the mold set. Hopefully it will be ready for the first top to be made in a week or two.

patl

Adventurer
Thanks Spot- I'll be sure to check it out. With a little luck maybe the 4 door will be ready by then.

patl

Adventurer
After a week of working on Rick's build, we are finally able to pay a little attention to mine.Seam sealer applied and sealer sprayed on tub.

sealed 6.jpg

Sealed 1.jpg

patl

Adventurer
Anybody viewing this post who plan on attending the Expo East in Asheville, N.C. in October, please get in touch. Planning to bring the 4 door and camping trailer, and would like to meet up so we can get to know each other. Hopefully will be the first shake down run for the Bronco. Really appreciate the comments and support we have received through this forum. A great site and place to interact with other adventure loving people.

Not prejudiced as to type of vehicle. My first 4 wheeling experiences were with my high school buddies's old flat fender. Cherished memories. It doesn't matter what you bring, as long as you get there!

big a

Adventurer
My friend, this has been fun watching you build this rig!!! I agree, I love everything automotive!!!! Hopefully one day I'll be finished with my Bronco and we'll get a chance to meet up at one of these events and show off our rigs!!!! I need to be as vigilant as you are with updating my build thread over on the bronco forum.

NICE WORK!!!!

patl

Adventurer
Big a,
Rick has finally decided to forego a stroker for an inline pump 4bt. Is currently sourcing an engine. Should have more info in the next 4-6
weeks. Our local Cummins guy says he knows a few tricks to help tame the vibration and noise a little- external balancer, valve adjustments, and fluid mounts to start. Let us know if you have any more ideas.

Oh, by the way, used to love driving through Fort Worth area. There was a radio station that played the really old CW music. Also ran into some girls from the Top Rail Saloon at Mardi Gras many years back. They were a lot of fun! Gotta love those Texas girls. (Hope my wife doesn't read this post)

Last edited:

big a

Adventurer
Name's Andy! Funny thing, I'm really not that big. Only 5-9 180, but all my buddies in the Army were taller and thought it'd be funny to call me Big A, and it stuck! Even my old high school buddies call me that and I was always the shortest guy in my class, LOL!!!

That's awesome!!! To be honest, I know these engines are referred to as rattle boxes, but it's really all in the way you mount the engine. There's a lot of disagreement on whether or not an external balancer makes any difference. Some will swear by it, others say it's a waste of money. The best way to deal with vibration is to keep the valves adjusted and use fluid mounts. I went a different route and used mounts from at '96 12V and a '99 24V Dodge Cummins. I used the passenger mounts from each yr as they are both angled and the '96 is offset and it worked great to clear the starter, which is driver mounted on a Dodge Cummins. The mounts are great and transmit very little vibration! I didn't use the front mounted fluid mounts because I'm running a/c, and I needed those holes for the brkt, which I got off of an old Cummins Ford school bus. Also, you can line x the oil pan. You'd be surprised how much noise comes from the bottom of the engine. The newer big rig diesels isolate the pan to help solve this problem, but in the end, you just need to sound deaden and insulate the heck out of the cabin! You do that, and you'll be a happy driver while getting in the mid 20s at highway speeds for fuel mileage!

Here's my thread and a cpl others for you to get some ideas from:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210808

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174452

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?35353-Early-Bronco-4BT-build

You gotta love the old CW tunes!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got lucky and married me one of these beautiful Texas girls!!!! :)

patl

Adventurer
Oops! Wife just called to let me know she read the post. Since this was long before her time it's OK though.
Long as I don't go through Texas on the way to Moab and SEMA this fall.

big a

Adventurer
LOL!!!!!

I replied this morning and added some links to some 4bt bronco build threads incl mine, but got a response that the moderators needed to review the post. I suppose because I added some links. I prolly need to go read the site rules again and make sure I didn't violate any. If it doesn't pop up later, I'll pm ya.

patl

Adventurer
Had a little setback at the paint shop- for some reason the bondo didn't do well with the primer and caused it to lift. Rear quarters had to be stripped back down to bare metal and start over. Sets everything back about a week. Oh well, just a thing. In the meantime we have been working on customer rigs. So far 2 dashes removed and repainted, one new wiring harness installed, and the second truck getting repainted on the rear after carpet was stripped out.

paint problems 001.JPG

paint problems 006.JPG

patl

Adventurer
Time to start thinking about bumpers. I built mine for my '76 out of 2" x 5" tube. Looks like the latest style has evolved to bent plate. There is a Bronco that came into Thomas' shop yesterday with Hanson bumpers. I wasn't excited about the front, but the rear was really nice. Checked their website and pretty pricey. I think maybe we can do something along the same lines for a little less.

hanson bumpers 010.JPG

hanson bumpers 001.JPG

white-bronco_medium.jpg

This is more to my liking.

Final body work should be just about finished. Maybe paint will be coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior