4Door Bronco build

patl

Adventurer
Hasn't been a lot of activity to report here lately because Thomas had to take some time to work on the other 4 door, and to design and build a 4 link for a stock Bronco frame which he hopes to bring to market soon. His business is growing in many directions at once and he is really feeling the pains.

But, now we are back on project and pushing to finish getting the body ready for paint. June 16th it goes to the painters, so we are back finishing up the rear doors and several other items on the punch list such as:
- modifying firewall for hydroboost
- " radiator support to clear condenser
- building a box for electrical and computer where the passenger vent went
- going over body to fill all small holes and dress
- cut down rear door panels
- rework dash for glove box and modern gauge placement
- refit fenders, doors and make any last minute adjustments

Nothing real exciting. Just the many small details needed to get everything ready.Will have pictures later this weekend.

patl

Adventurer
Krawler's Edge is his site with contact information. Will be updating soon to show new products.

patl

Adventurer
It's been a while since I've updated this post. Things have been moving along, but a a much slower pace. Final door and fender alignment, finishing out the rear window frames after finally deciding what we were going to do took some time. Very tedious but necessary. Friday the filler piece between the window frames was added in along with the tabs for gasket.

Door Post 014.JPG

003.JPG

Today will complete all welding and fender fitting. Then it's time to put the body back on the rotisserie so it can go to the painters Monday or Tuesday.

patl

Adventurer
Here it is. Final fit done- just need to cut the front fenders and make holes for the side markers. Goes back on the jig tomorrow and then to the painters. It's been a long time getting here, but we are ready to move on to the next stage.
The top in this photo is not the final top, but one that was messed up when put together. It was just used to align the tabs for the weather strip. The fiberglass guy says the mold will be ready for the first top in about 3 weeks.

final fit 001.JPG

Never knew how frustrating alignment process really was. My hats off to guys who do this every day and are good at it. With a little luck I won't have to ever do this again.

Next step for me is getting the frame brackets for double shocks and long arms welded on and assembling the running gear, suspension, and differentials. First gen Lightning motor, ZF 5 speed, and Atlas t-case are all ready to go. Will post pictures as it goes together.

jesus_man

Looks great!! Yeah, aligning the body is somewhat of an art. I am no good at it!

Dual shocks? You clearly do your research, but I am curious to your reasoning behind this. Most of the time, it's not needed.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Looks great!! Yeah, aligning the body is somewhat of an art. I am no good at it!

Dual shocks? You clearly do your research, but I am curious to your reasoning behind this. Most of the time, it's not needed.

If he is using the original style EB radius arm suspension design, it is notorious for bad axle hop in the sand. Dual shocks is a must!

Love seeing this come together!

patl

Adventurer
The Duff long arm set is what's going on front. Have the same setup on my '76 and I love it. With the long travel dual shocks, ride is great on and offroad. Getting rid of the stock bushings really frees up the front end and lets it work the way its supposed to. Old timers will tell you the first two things you should do when you buy a Bronco is the roll cage and dual shocks- less sway on the road and good hookup in the dirt. Oh yeah, and don't forget the axle wrap in the rear.

Tub is finally off the jig and headed to the painters tomorrow.

jesus_man

Old timers will tell you the first two things you should do when you buy a Bronco is the roll cage and dual shocks- less sway on the road and good hookup in the dirt.

I can agree on the first point, but Old-time shocks just were not up to snuff. Modern high quality shocks can handle the work, and if you're worried about them overheating, look into remote res shocks. Take a look at what Bilstein has to offer. I'm surprised to hear you say you like a similar setup on another rig. Shocks that help control sway are generally really stiff in the rough stuff.

Just something to consider. Dual shocks is so...80's. :)

patl

Adventurer
Finally! Body is at the painters and the frame has all the shock hoops and long arm brackets welded on and painted. Monday will start putting the suspension and drive line on it. Today we worked on modifying an electric window kit for the rear doors, since the factory window regulator will no longer fit. Will take a little work, but I think we have it figured out.

Next week we'll probably start moving some things over to Rockford where Thomas has found a shop big enough to handle the volume of business he's experiencing right now. I will let everyone local know when the grand opening will be. Lots of cleanup to do as well as paint. It's going to be nice. Just the showroom area is bigger than his current shop.

justcuz

Explorer
I can agree on the first point, but Old-time shocks just were not up to snuff. Modern high quality shocks can handle the work, and if you're worried about them overheating, look into remote res shocks. Take a look at what Bilstein has to offer. I'm surprised to hear you say you like a similar setup on another rig. Shocks that help control sway are generally really stiff in the rough stuff.

Just something to consider. Dual shocks is so...80's. :)

Actually in off road racing triple and quadruple shocks were 80's technology.
Dual shocks were 60's and 70's technology we borrowed from the NASCAR guys. That even included the shocks which were Gabriel or Monroe 3 way adjustable with tie rod end mounting points!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online