My 2013 Unlimited Rubicon

Ausjeeper

Observer
I guess this'll be a bit of an intro as well as a build thread for my JK.

I'm from New South Wales Australia, and do as much camping and four wheel driving with my family as work permits. We either camp in swags or in our camper trailer. The trailer gets towed when the whole family is coming, and the swags get used if only my wife or son is coming along.

We owned a Nissan Patrol for about 15 years, and built it up into quite a capable tourer/overlander. It was a brilliant vehicle for touring, and was a sad day when it was sold and went down the driveway for the last time.

My old Patrol with my new Jeep. Yep I still get away with the new owners.

bylongjune13069_zps642b2de5.jpg

At that time I'd ordered a brand new 2013 Unlimited Rubicon, and had to wait four months for its arrival in Australia. Time really dragged. I ended up with the 960074 th one built apparently.

Delivery day.

IMG_0895Small_zps57f3c082.jpg

First camping trip with camper in tow.

BylongCreek4x4June2013p127Small_zps6e5819c2.jpg

First trip with the Jeep into the snow of the Victorian High Country.

2ndSnowTrip074Small_zpsebd0c30f.jpg

Swag only trip.

2ndSnowTrip010Small_zpsca92e369.jpg

Well it's almost 12 months that I've had my Jeep now, and have been steadily adding bits and pieces to make it suit what we do a bit better. I hope to make it more expedition/tourer than rock crawler, but I still want it to be very capable of conquering the tough stuff if required.

This is how it looks now.

IMG_7401Small_zpsc469353c.jpg

And that is what has brought me to the Expedition Portal. I've hung out on a few Jeep forums, both locally and from other countries, but most seem more focussed on rock crawling than touring, however this forum has that expedition/overlander/touring focus, which I hope to gain some advice and information from.

So far I've added (I've probably forgot some):

• 4 1/2" Synergy lift
  • Fox remote reservoir shocks
  • High Steer kit
  • Tom Wood's Drive shafts (1350 rear and 1310 front)
  • ARB compresssor
  • AEV Premium front bar
  • Warn M8000 winch with dyneema rope
  • GME electrophone 80 channel UHF
  • Gobi Stealth roofrack
  • 125 watt solar panel
  • 285/70R16 BFG Mud-terrain tyres
  • Procomp alloy rims

toxicity_27

Adventurer
How'd you get the AEV snorkel to fit with the Gobi rack? I've seen in so many different places that they won't fit together.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
It bolted straight up without issue. doesnt fowl or rub on anything. What part do they have trouble with?

I've just read that they don't work. I believe they have the issue by the a pillar. That's definitely good to know though because I want to go that route because of how the Rugged Ridge won't allow the use of a pilkar lights.

Ausjeeper

Observer
I've just read that they don't work. I believe they have the issue by the a pillar. That's definitely good to know though because I want to go that route because of how the Rugged Ridge won't allow the use of a pilkar lights.

Your questions got me thinking, so when I got home from work tonight I had a good look at where the snorkel runs past the A-pillar Gobi supports. Yes the Gobi supports do sit snug against the side of the snorkel, but all seams good with all the mounting brackets for the snorkel. Although I didn't fit this snorkel myself, there is nothing there that looks dodgy.

Here is a quick snap looking directly from the front of the Jeep towards the A-pillar.

IMG_7897Small_zps475a6ead.jpg

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Your questions got me thinking, so when I got home from work tonight I had a good look at where the snorkel runs past the A-pillar Gobi supports. Yes the Gobi supports do sit snug against the side of the snorkel, but all seams good with all the mounting brackets for the snorkel. Although I didn't fit this snorkel myself, there is nothing there that looks dodgy.

Here is a quick snap looking directly from the front of the Jeep towards the A-pillar.

IMG_7897Small_zps475a6ead.jpg

Great! That definitely helps me out and is good to hear. I appreciate you taking the pictures as well.

Ausjeeper

Observer
When it was time for a bit of a lift I fitted an Ultimate Touring kit, which included Synergy progressive rate coils, remote reservoir Fox shocks, Fox steering damper, hi-steer kit, new lower control arms front and rear, and a few other bits and pieces to make it work properly.

This is what was replaced.

To say I was happy with the way it sat after fitting the lift would be an understatement.

Fox remote reservoir shocks.

Lift004_zps99910a7f.jpg

Lift006_zpsb3aed4ca.jpg

The original rims looked the part, but ran a little close to some of the new steering components, so I opted to fit a set of Pro Comp Xtreme rims which I picked up secondhand for a great price.

IMG_1207_zpsb02b78cb.jpg

These were shod with BFG KM2 Mud-terrains in 285.70R17 (almost 33" ) in size.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Don't know much about your systems down under, but

It looks to me like you didn't reinstall the coil "Isolators" and that can make for a very noisy/clacky ride--

If your lift instructions said to leavem out, then forget my coments-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Ausjeeper

Observer
What lights do the non-US spec JKs come with? I'm curious to see.

Matt I think the lights we get are the same as you guys get in the States.

Headlights are 7" H4 (I think) helogen lights, with a couple of fog lights down in the bumper.

I used a Superchips Flascal to enable the fog lights to stay on with high beam, which improved the light a little.

I'm currently looking at a set of Rigid Industries D2 Duallies to improve night driving.

Ausjeeper

Observer
:sombrero: Don't know much about your systems down under, but

It looks to me like you didn't reinstall the coil "Isolators" and that can make for a very noisy/clacky ride--

If your lift instructions said to leavem out, then forget my coments-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Jimbo, those disks you can see in the photo above are a set of Teraflex coil spacers (budget boost) which I had fitted prior to the main suspension upgrade. The OEM coil isolators are still installed.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would forgo the rigids and put a set of truck lites in the main headlight spot, and then mount some HID driving lights on your bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior