My 2013 Unlimited Rubicon

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I dont think I will out run my HIDs either, but I do like the fact of seeing further down the road. I get 1000 ft of light with mine. but 600 plus from an LED is better than I ever saw. thats respectable. i will have to look at them.

Septu

Explorer

Those HIDs likely provide a very good bang for buck option. However the aiming of them kinda sucks - the base has teeth, which if they don't line up perfectly with where you want to aim the light, your kinda SOL. But... they put out a lot of light, and throw it a reasonable distance.

I dont think I will out run my HIDs either, but I do like the fact of seeing further down the road. I get 1000 ft of light with mine. but 600 plus from an LED is better than I ever saw. thats respectable. i will have to look at them.

Yeah, if I had my choice I'd want to be able to see 1800 ft+ (500+ yrds) ditch to ditch. Not so much because I'm driving too fast (usually 90/100), but for a comfort pov. Being able to see that far makes driving at night stress free, and basically turns it into just another drive.

Last edited:

Ausjeeper

Observer
Well I can't believe I've done it, but after looking at the price of those cheaper Aliexpress HID driving lights, I ordered a similar pair off E-bay. Extremely cheap set at $82.00 for the pair. I don't hold much hope of them giving off good quality light, but worth a try. If they don't work out, I'll give them to my son to mount on his Nissan Patrol.

2s9etg9_zps9bb76fa1.jpg

Last edited:

kojackJKU

btw, my lights are 1000 meters, not 1000 ft. big difference. and thats light, not reflected. Let us know how those ebay HID perform. I have seen them on a few rigs around. biggest problem with those is most are 6000k, which is less than ideal.

Ausjeeper

Observer
Wanting to fit an ARB compressor, and with very little spare space under the bonnet, I decided to mount my ARB CKMA12 compressor under the drivers seat.

It was out with the seat.

IMG_0958_zpsdea0682b.jpg

Compressor bolted to the seat frame (using existing holes).

IMG_0961_zpscc07da0f.jpg

Switch mounted on outside edge of seat frame.

JKshoot002_zps818c8aa5.jpg

Fitted a short section of hose on the compressor with a Ryco quick release fitting for attaching the main tyre inflation hose.

JKshoot007_zps12e22c95.jpg

Ausjeeper

Observer
Looks good. Plan to run air lockers? If so your passenger will have a nice vibrating seat. :Wow1:

No the electric lockers on the Rubicon are doing their job so far, it's only used for tyre inflation. It shouldn't run much even if air lockers were fitted, as the compressor should only run for a very short time when the lockers are engaged, or that's what the air locker in my Nissan Patrol did. Normally when the compressor is running a lot for the lockers there's a problem with an air leak.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Sorry, but it looks to me like a lotta HEAT buildup and possibly fire in the seat bottom material--

Compressors like this need a lotta air flow !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Ausjeeper

Observer
:sombrero: Sorry, but it looks to me like a lotta HEAT buildup and possibly fire in the seat bottom material--

Compressors like this need a lotta air flow !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Jimbo I understand your concern, and wonder where you think the best spot for mounting them is? What are your thoughts on mounting these compressors in the engine bays, which a lot do, and in fact there are companies making mounting plates specifically for this location. I couldn't think of a worse spot to mount a compressor, as not only are they subject to prolonged heat exposure when not being used, but are drawing all that hot air in when being used also. So hot air is being compressed, and heating up even further.

If you look at the photo below, there is plenty of air to circulate around my compressor when working, and most times this air is only at ambient temperature, or less thanks to the air conditioner running to keep the interior of the vehicle cool. There is also a hug amount of space between the compressor and the seat bottom material, and if anything, the carpet is the closest to the heat of the compressor.

IMG_7902_zps4cb271a9.jpg

After reading your post, I was confident that heat build up wasn't a problem under the seat, however decided to do some temperature checks on, not only the compressor motor and compressor receiver tank, but also on the seat material under the seat, just to confirm my thoughts and belief.

I dropped all of my tyre (285.70R17) pressures to 15 psi, and then re-inflated them to 30 psi, taking temperature readings as each tyre was inflated.

Temperature reading were taken with an infra-red temperature gun.

First tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 20 second
  • Motor temperature - 24 degrees (c) or 75 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 25 degrees (c) or 77 degrees (f)
  • Under seat material temperature - 17 degrees (c) or 62 degrees (f)

Second tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 36 second
  • Motor temperature - 33 degrees (c) or 91 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 33 degrees (c) or 91 degrees (f)
  • Under seat material temperature - 20 degrees (c) or 68 degrees (f)

Third tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 40 second
  • Motor temperature - 41 degrees (c) or 106 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 40 degrees (c) or 104 degrees (f)

Forth tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 50 second
  • Motor temperature - 51 degrees (c) or 124 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 52 degrees (c) or 126 degrees (f)
  • Under seat material temperature - 23 degrees (c) or 73 degrees (f)

IMG_7904_zpse358a2ab.jpg

At the end of the test I also took temperature readings from the seat frame, and from the carpet around the compressor, and the highest reading I got was 35 degrees (c) or 95 degrees (f).

After this test I am confident that there is absolutely no chance of any of the material around the compressor being damaged due to heat, nor is there any chance of the under seat material catching on fire.

Thank you for raising the issue though, as if you hadn't I wouldn't have done this test and known for sure.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Blimey, you make the bloody blodger work !

Jimbo I understand your concern, and wonder where you think the best spot for mounting them is? What are your thoughts on mounting these compressors in the engine bays, which a lot do, and in fact there are companies making mounting plates specifically for this location. I couldn't think of a worse spot to mount a compressor, as not only are they subject to prolonged heat exposure when not being used, but are drawing all that hot air in when being used also. So hot air is being compressed, and heating up even further.

If you look at the photo below, there is plenty of air to circulate around my compressor when working, and most times this air is only at ambient temperature, or less thanks to the air conditioner running to keep the interior of the vehicle cool. There is also a hug amount of space between the compressor and the seat bottom material, and if anything, the carpet is the closest to the heat of the compressor.

IMG_7902_zps4cb271a9.jpg

After reading your post, I was confident that heat build up wasn't a problem under the seat, however decided to do some temperature checks on, not only the compressor motor and compressor receiver tank, but also on the seat material under the seat.

I dropped all of my tyre (285.70R17) pressures to 15 psi, and then re-inflated them to 30 psi, taking temperature readings as each tyre was inflated.
Temperature reading were teken with an infra-red temperature gun.

First tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 20 second
  • Motor temperature - 24 degrees (c) or 75 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 25 degrees (c) or 77 degrees (f)
  • Under seat material temperature - 17 degrees (c) or 62 degrees (f)

Second tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 36 second
  • Motor temperature - 33 degrees (c) or 91 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 33 degrees (c) or 91 degrees (f)

Third tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 40 second
  • Motor temperature - 41 degrees (c) or 106 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 40 degrees (c) or 104 degrees (f)

Forth tyre inflated to 30 psi.
  • Inflation time - 1 minute 50 second
  • Motor temperature - 51 degrees (c) or 124 degrees (f)
  • Tank temperature - 52 degrees (c) or 126 degrees (f)
  • Under seat material temperature - 23 degrees (c) or 73 degrees (f)

At the end of the test I also took temperature readings from the seat frame, and from the carpet around the compressor, and the highest reading I got was 35 degrees (c) or 95 degrees (f).

After this test I am confident that there is absolutely no chance of any of the material around the compressor being damaged due to heat, nor is there any chance of the under seat material catching on fire.

Thank you for raising the issue though, as if you hadn't I wouldn't have done this test and known for sure.

Heh Heh, thanx for the proving run, should be OK-I've had mine under the hood, mounted to the Brake master cylinder, for over 4 years/w no heat problems and evidently mine isn't the only place to put that compressor !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007 JIMBO

Timgco

Adventurer
:sombrero: Blimey, you make the bloody blodger work !

Heh Heh, thanx for the proving run, should be OK-I've had mine under the hood, mounted to the Brake master cylinder, for over 4 years/w no heat problems and evidently mine isn't the only place to put that compressor !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007 JIMBO

I think he tested/ documented well. Nice job Ausjeeper! My concern was also for heat build up when I read this thread. While the seat material may not ignite per say, other debris could. leaves, bugs, etc find their way under our seats from time to time. If something smaller like that (think tinder), you could start a fire under there.

I have seen rear trays set up for compressors in the back above the rear wheel well. That may be an alternate place to keep an eye on things and easy to utilize from that location.

Most people that I know running a compressor have theirs under the hood, They do have their hood wide open when filling tires or running air tools. Circulation is great under there. These compressors are made to withstand the elements. While I agree sucking in hot air and heating it more may slow that compressor down some or possibly time out due to overheating, I don't feel this being an issue with 33" tires..esp. on that compressor. It is well built!!!! On filling 35's or larger, running air tools, etc, I can see the underseat mount a concern.

Respectfully...just my 2 cents.

kojackJKU

For this type work, I am using a portable compressor. I don't have air lockers etc, so I am packing a smittybilt compressor in the back under the seat.

Ausjeeper

Observer
My first ARB compressor was a portable one, and was very handy not being tied to one vehicle. I normally run out of room when packing for a trip now, so haven't got the room for a separate compressor case. I'm trying to use those little nooks that dont normally get used.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I've enjoyed this thread so far and a lot of the discussion is about things I plan to do as well to mine. I didn't catch it if you mentioned it, but is your JKUR the 3.6 or the 2.8crd motor? If it's the 2.8crd, what are your thoughts on this engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94