My First Week Exploring Utah, 4/12-4/19 2014

kachimaiya

Impressive field fix!! Question: How long did it take you to run the Top of the World Trip?? What were some of the more technical sections on it? I will be out there next month and want to do this trail. Thanks!

BlairB

Observer
Thanks guys! I consider myself lucky that I didn't bend anything, break an ABS wire, destroy a CV etc… when the UCA gave way. I did damage the coil bucket a little, but it was only cosmetic.

Impressive field fix!! Question: How long did it take you to run the Top of the World Trip?? What were some of the more technical sections on it? I will be out there next month and want to do this trail. Thanks!

I would say that the trail was about an hour up, and an hour and fifteen on the way down. We were not rushing through, but we weren't stopping for any photo's either. The first technical spot we hit (and probably the hardest) was around 2.9 miles after you pass through a fence that leads to the trail. My biggest issue was departure angle and traction. There were a few sections where you end up with both front and rear axles in holes, but it is very doable. I didn't have much issue with break over angle, but I would think in a full size truck like yours that may be your biggest hangup. (no pun intended)

Great trip report and an impressive trail fix.

Thanks! Have to ask- Icelandic? Curious from your signature.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Looks like a great trip! I had a blast out there last summer, but probably won't get back until 2015.
I carried a bunch of extra hardware, though I only had it from swapping suspension/steering parts and upgrading the factory bolts. Still a very odd thing to break!

kachimaiya

Thanks for the info. Normally I have pretty good departure angle, but this time I will have a bike rack on the back. i have max traxs that I have used as a mini bridge to clear some shelves. What are the chances of finding some decent rocks to stack up as well?? (They will be scattered afters so that other people can have the challenge)

SnowedIn

Observer
Cool trip.

I always carry a few spare fasteners of different sizes - overly long ones can be shortened, if needed, with a small hacksaw and file and a lot of patience.

The law enforcement you saw while stopped on the freeway was most definitely not an "exercise"; you were actually some place you probably really did not want to be at the time. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles