OBS F250 slow adventure build

amgvr4

Adventurer
Thanks guys! I love it too! Here are some quick pictures I took at lunch to give an idea of its stance. I would probably prefer to have the back about and inch taller and an inch further back. These pictures are of it with no load and only one tank full so fully loaded up for a camping adventure it will probably squat down a few inches. I might relocate the front hangers to accomplish both objectives at the same time. I am going to talk to the drive shaft shop tomorrow and see what they can do about my front drive shaft. Hopefully they can just straighten it out with some heat. I'd love to have this thing 4x4 for the weekend.

underdrive

jackwagon
I would probably prefer to have the back about and inch taller and an inch further back.
How about taking the easy way out with some zero-rates? For someone with your skills even building your own kit would be way easy. Truck looks good btw, great work as always.

Bojak

Adventurer
Looks exactly right, well done. The amount of work you put into the suspension is just impressive. Look forward to seeing the flexing.

amgvr4

Adventurer
How about taking the easy way out with some zero-rates? For someone with your skills even building your own kit would be way easy. Truck looks good btw, great work as always.

Turns out after a few days of driving it around it looks perfect. I think I was so used to seeing it lopsided before that my perspective just needed to adjust to how it is now, or maybe i was just walking around with my head tilted to one side! I would like to shift it rearward an inch to center the axle in the wheel well at some point.

underdrive

jackwagon
Turns out after a few days of driving it around it looks perfect. I think I was so used to seeing it lopsided before that my perspective just needed to adjust to how it is now, or maybe i was just walking around with my head tilted to one side! I would like to shift it rearward an inch to center the axle in the wheel well at some point.

Throw a tape measure on it, see what fender arch to ground numbers you come up with. Bubble level on the bed rail helps as well. Personally I think your initial assessment was correct and that you need to both shift the axle towards the rear and lift it a bit. But then again, I kinda hate level trucks, as a truck that is level empty will be hanging when loaded. If you plan on throwing a bed cap on it, and with all your camping gear in the bed, you may very well need the extra 1" height to remain level when all packed up and ready for adventure.

amgvr4

Adventurer
Looks exactly right, well done. The amount of work you put into the suspension is just impressive. Look forward to seeing the flexing.

Awesome work man :cool: I'll bet the ride is night and day better.

Thanks guys! The ride is much improved over the old set up. It has been so long since I drove it with the D50 though that it is hard to have a accurate comparison. I have a buddy that has a very similar truck in about the same state as mine was before and I want to do a back to back test drive to see just how much better it is.

I have not had much luck on the front drive shaft. Drivelines NW acted like I was trying to hand them a spent nuclear fuel rod when I asked if they could straighten what I have now. Then they quoted be over $500 to rebuild me a shaft that would work. Denny's driveshafts online has custom built 1330 cv driveshafts with 2" DOM tubing for $375. If I have one made that is probably the way I will go. The smaller diameter tubing will really help with clearance at the cross member. The f250 one was 2.7" and the f350 was 2.5" Od so the 2" would be really nice. I can always rebuild the one I have now and keep it as a trail spare. I will wait till after taxes to take care of that.

Tonight I made a little bracket to keep the e-brake cables from rubbing on the drivers side shock. I used a piece of plastic from work and zip tied it between the two cables. It had already started to rub the coating off the shock body.

The pictures are pretty bad but I think you get the idea.

underdrive

jackwagon
The D50 rides like a dump truck, but handles like it's glued to the road. Pick your poison I guess.

Throw your home-made driveshaft in for now. So what if it's no balanced, it'll keep you from getting stuck while crawling up a trail with kiddos in tow.

amgvr4

Adventurer
Just for fun I thought I'd post up some comparison measurements for ride height throughout the various stages of the truck

All measurements are taken from fender lip to the ground;

Pre lift, Dana 50, 265/75/16 tires (32" tall)

Drivers front 36.5" Pass front 36.25"

Drivers rear 37.75" Pass rear 38.25"

Pre lift, Dana 50, 37/12.5/16.5 tires (36" tall)

DF 39" PF 39.125"

DR 40.25" PR 41"

Post lift, Dana 60, 37/12.5/16.5 tires (36" tall)

DF 44" PF 44"

DR 43.5" PR 44"

I measured the truck with the fuel tanks pretty much empty and then all the way full yeasterday and the only change was the pass rear corner saging to 43.5" from 44". I would like to find about 500lbs of stuff to put in the bed and see how much it sags to get an idea of if it is worth it to make some zero rates or not. I would also have to make new top plates if I wanted to shift the axle rearward.

I headed down to the Washington Sportsman show today with the express intent to check out CVT tents as they listed on there website that they would be there. They must have changed plans or were only there during the week cause there was no sign of them at the show. I need to build the platform for the tent, but I really want to take a look at one before actually buying it.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have been heavily looking in to taupe (sp) tents I have seen a cvt in person and was not so impressed. For lack now better wording it felt cheap. Now I have not handle the others yet but customer service is light years ahead.

amgvr4

Adventurer
Just rolled over 250,000 miles

The truck got some much needed love last night with an oil change and fuel filter change. Then on the way to work the truck rolled over 250K. I picked it up with 223k on it and it has been great the whole time, just some basic maintenance and a little tweaking in the suspension department has kept it singing along.

The miles keep on rolling.....

Some poser shots from today

amgvr4

Adventurer
I have been heavily looking in to taupe (sp) tents I have seen a cvt in person and was not so impressed. For lack now better wording it felt cheap. Now I have not handle the others yet but customer service is light years ahead.

I have been looking at the two manufacturers as well and as best as I can tell they are basically the same tents. The Tepui Grand Sabana and the CVT MT. Rainier are almost identical in looks and dimensions. I was pretty set on CVT mostly because they have the largest tent by far with the MT McKinley, but after doing some measuring it would hang over the back of my bed and it probably is bigger than I need. CVT is also much closer and I could drive down and pick it up rather than have it shipped and risk damage that has been so problematic for RTT buyers. They also have had very good results with several very large group buys on other forums and their customer service seems to be 2nd to none. If they do another spring 30% off group buy this year I will most likely pick up a MT Rainier, though the ruggedized Tepuis are pretty neat for sure.

98dango

Expedition Leader
when I was shopping I e mailed all the tent pepole. I was almost 100% on the cvt as my dad lives close. How ever 3 months later still no email. I had a response from taupe in 30 mins and they have answered every little question the same fast manner. Shipping is not as easy I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz