CamoVan 7.3 liter diesel MPG's

John W

Observer
I just had to brag, since it made me very happy when I checked my MPG's on a 300 mile round trip.
Got 18.5 mpg highway, with the UJOR 6" lift and 35" tires.

I'm pretty sure the speedo is correct, though hadn't compared it to a GPS reading.

Speed limit was 65 mph most of the way, and I kept it below 70 mph most of the time.

Did an extremely short run on a dirt road in 4L, and the speedo/odo reads double.

My happiness will doubtlessly be tempered when it comes time to change those 4 gallons of engine oil.

dcguillory

Adventurer
18.5 is great. Thats what I got almost all the time untill I put the hi top on. The cost of the oil change has minimal impact on your happiness since its every 5k. Enjoy

John W

Observer
I see you have the dp tuner as well. I have the 80hp tune, but I kept it in stock the whole way.
Have you compared 80hp tune with stock for mpg's?

dcguillory

Adventurer
my 80 tune is for towing over 6k lb so I havent done any mpg comparo. My 60 tune is my econo tune and thats what I got 18.5 with. I highly recomend the 60 econo since you get the the mpg and the power. Whats to complain about? 3.73 gears here

djbonsu

Adventurer
thanks for the info dcquillory. I have a dp tuner from a '03 7.3 van loaded with 80 econ/80 tow. hoping ill be satisfied with it and not have to send it back out....John W are you running 4.10 gears?

John W

Observer
thanks for the info dcquillory. I have a dp tuner from a '03 7.3 van loaded with 80 econ/80 tow. hoping ill be satisfied with it and not have to send it back out....John W are you running 4.10 gears?

Yep 4.10's.
Shifts into OD at about 50mph, so I'm guessing if I travelled on roads with 50-55 mph limits, the mileage would be even better.

Since I bought the van all set up, I don't even know where the box is to send it out for an econo tune.
Haven't had time to familiarize with everything.

Enjoying it though.

dcguillory

Adventurer
call DP tuner. you dont heve to send them anything. He will ask you questions about gearing and driving hadits and such and then send you a chip that you can (easily) install your self

John W

Observer
call DP tuner. you dont heve to send them anything. He will ask you questions about gearing and driving hadits and such and then send you a chip that you can (easily) install your self

That's great to know, thanks!
This is what I have;
position 0: no start (anti-theft)
position 1: stock
position 2: 80 hp econo codes (this boosts power, a little press on the gas and lots of fuel goes to the engine, really hustles! not sure why it's called econo, or if it saves fuel)
position 3: 80 hp tow codes (I think it alters shift points in addition to adding power)
position 4: 80 hp tow beach (he used it for driving on beach sand 4x4, I think he said it synchronizes shifting, not sure, might swap this chip for the most fuel economic chip)

I keep it in stock most of the time, just because I think it's gentler on the engine, keeping it under-stressed, despite that it's a 444 cu in beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94