Edmunds reviews the Grand Cherokee with Ecodiesel

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2014/road-test2.html

Edmunds.com has reviewed the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.0L diesel engine. They recorded 27.4 mpg on their standard test loop, which includes city, mountain and highway sections.

The review vehicle is an absolutely loaded Summit model, which pushes the sticker price up to $57,000 (!). Much of the same diesel goodness can be had in less expensive models.

I have a 2000 factory Jeep Cherokee IDI TDI Diesel,. average is 28.5mpg with 235/70R16 tires.
So not a huge difference in mpg since 14 years of development. Ok- luxury, driving style and hp is maybe increased. That's it.

Seriously 2014 and 27.4mpg? That's it?

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a pretty wonderful truck. So happy to see a proper wagon with a diesel option.

Jeep also told me last week that sales are much higher than expected, and they will move nearly 15,000 units in the first year.

MAYBE JUST MAYBE

1 or 2 things could happen 1 they might make the grand more trail worthy to keep pace with Land rover and 2 they put the same motor in a wrangler put a bug in their ear

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have a 2000 factory Jeep Cherokee IDI TDI Diesel,. average is 28.5mpg with 235/70R16 tires.
So not a huge difference in mpg since 14 years of development. Ok- luxury, driving style and hp is maybe increased. That's it.

Seriously 2014 and 27.4mpg? That's it?

Unfortunately you can probably blame that largely on the EPA tightening diesel emissions. The older VW 1.9 tdi often gets better mileage than the new 2.0 tdi. The 2.0l is more powerful and much cleaner burning, but suffers mileage loss from the DPF. I'm sure the jeep diesel is no different. Besides, high 20s/low 30s for that chassis is probably about the best you're going to see unless there is some huge change in engine technology. Still a lot of drag, weight and spinning mass to overcome. The very "slick" diesel cars are barely in the low 40s for mpg, so expecting an SUV to do much better than 30 is unrealistic at this point IMO.

jcraig1447

We have had ours (2014 Overland) for 3 weeks, and just got back from Moab Utah. Just LOVE IT!!! The mileage we got was better than 28mpg at 75+ (some 80+). About 2500 miles so far and can't wait for more.

John

I hear you Brian.
I just thought 14 years isn't that much of a difference.
I can get above 30mpg if I keep the speed around 50mph. But that is absolutely no fun at all.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
... they put the same motor in a wrangler...
Wake me when that happens.
I don't mind the idea of these crossdressing things parading around like trucks but I can't fit in them very well with my long legs. And they're too car-ish. And plastic coated.
Grumble grumble grumble.

I want a Wrangler with torque. Then I'll shut up. :smiley_drive:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Jeep also told me last week that sales are much higher than expected, and they will move nearly 15,000 units in the first year.

Which is brilliant news, as the Jeep CEO has been quoted multiple times as saying they wanted to gauge interest in the diesel with the GC before green lighting it for the Wrangler.

If sales are much higher than expected, I think that makes a diesel Wrangler much, much more likely.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior