Indecisive New Member

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Not sure where you guys are getting this info from, but from my experience:

(All 100% stock)
4.7L: 11-17MPG
4.0L: 14-21MPG

On 100% highway trips, I was seeing 22MPG in the 4.0L (same with 3.4L found in 3rd Gen 4Runners). To me the difference of 4MPG (or 24%) is pretty significant. Especially for this guy on a student budget. I wouldn't recommend any V8'ed Toyota trucks.

I have not owned both, so I don't have that type of real world numbers. I researched it on the web (and I know that everything on the web is true). I use the information from several car buying websites, like cars.com. They list the factory specs of both trucks. They list the 1st gen Tundra at 15 city and 19 hwy. I have seen this, and almost see it with my larger tires. I am getting 17 with my 285s (I do keep it 65 or under). The 4.0l Tacoma they show 15 city and 20 hwy. The 3.4l is listed at 17 city 19 hwy. Slightly different, and does the mile per gallon out weigh cargo capacity, human comfort, and initial purchase price? Tacomas are always thousands more than a Tundra, and you're getting a lot more truck with the Tundra or Sequoia.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Dwill,

Thanks for your reply!

In terms of budget, I am hoping to save as much $ as possible by buying used. That being said, I have some money saved up and am going to be using that + the funds from the sale of my current car to purchase a vehicle. I could potentially afford a newer model at max 20k, but that would prob limit any additions or mechanical work I need done.

I initially really wanted a cheap-o dirtbag van, but decided against it because it would be too impractical as a daily driver (especially if I were to get a 4wd conversion). The 4runner is another rig I considered briefly, but I discounted it cause I only had experience with the tiny interior of the 3rd gen. I guess I will have to check out a newer model! I still think a truck is the best (most realistic) option for me (despite my reservations), and will have to check out the 4 door long cause I didn't realize they could come with a 6 ft bed! Any idea how they handle? It looks like a boat! I'm checking for prices on those models as we speak.

Again, thanks for your advice! I do dig that last pic...

Ale

I would avoid the 4cyl powered older Toyota's people are suggesting. While they are extremely cool as a former owner they are impractically slow in the Colorado mountains especially if you are like me and like doing 14ers and getting up in the Mountains (people will argue this but they are not up to the task of comfortably doing steep highways at speed in modern day traffic).

The interstate speed limit is 75mph here and it it's nice to travel that fast without beating on the truck. I had a 2wd Toyota pickup with the 22re and it would have been fine but the 4wds are too slow for CO in my opinion (also owned a 1st gen 4runner with a built 22re). Now if you happen get a turbo model then that will work but you can get a much nicer truck for the price/mpg.

I would look hard at the 1st gen Tundra with the V8 and the T-100. Tacoma's are ridiculously overpriced especially, 1st gen's but the T100 and Tundra are reasonable.

I would also look outside of Toyota at the Mitsubishi Montero (especially the 03-06 with the 3.8l) These are really nice rigs for the money, get reasonable gas mileage, are cheap, great offroad, reliable, unique, comfortable on and off highway, quiet, and have tons of room and will be warmer to sleep in during the winter. You could easily be under half of your budget for a low mileage Montero + some mods.......

Where are you going to go to school? You can get around really well on a bicycle here so you might not have to daily drive.

bkg

Explorer
I've owned a 2003 Tundra, 2004 Tundra Doublecab, 2006 Tundra Doublecab... and now a 2010 Tacoma DCSB.

Tundra's, especially the 06, got much better mileage than the Tacoma. I average 16.19 on the Tacoma (I tend to track this with an app)... with the worst being 13MPG on the freeway in December... yes 13... No load, no 4wd, just 80mph in the cold. I was, and still am, pissed.

Worst mileage I ever got on my 06 Tundra was 12.4... that was 75 mph towing a 99 4Runner on a trailer.

I really wish I had kept the Tundra. Only complaint was the bus-like turning radius.

p nut

butter
I have not owned both, so I don't have that type of real world numbers. I researched it on the web (and I know that everything on the web is true). I use the information from several car buying websites, like cars.com. They list the factory specs of both trucks. They list the 1st gen Tundra at 15 city and 19 hwy. I have seen this, and almost see it with my larger tires. I am getting 17 with my 285s (I do keep it 65 or under). The 4.0l Tacoma they show 15 city and 20 hwy. The 3.4l is listed at 17 city 19 hwy. Slightly different, and does the mile per gallon out weigh cargo capacity, human comfort, and initial purchase price? Tacomas are always thousands more than a Tundra, and you're getting a lot more truck with the Tundra or Sequoia.

They list the DC 4WD at 14/17 through 2004 and 15/18 2005+. I have always exceeded the factory figures on all Toyota's, but not on any of the V8 products. I drive pretty conservative, but I have never been able to break the EPA estimates. If you're getting 17 with 285's, then maybe you got a Wednesday vehicle.

Tacoma/4Runner's (3.4 and 4.0) have always gotten me 21-22MPG on the freeway at 70MPH. My usual commute is fairly flat and all highway, so there aren't too many variables.

But bottom line--Tundra/Sequoia will cost more to run, period. More fuel, more oil, more insurance (in some states/companies), etc. If the initial cost is a driving factor, get a 3rd Gen 4Runner. They can be had much cheaper than Tundras or Sequoias. I am all for a big truck (I have a 100 now). Love the V8's and all the space inside for my family. But most of these threads turn into "buy the exact same truck I have now" threads. This dude will be traveling +1 and on a limited budget. Why does he need a truck as big as a Tundra, along with its higher expenses?

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
...but most of these threads turn into "buy the exact same truck I have now" threads. This dude will be traveling +1 and on a limited budget. Why does he need a truck as big as a Tundra, along with its higher expenses?
He stated that he would like to have a passenger or two, that he was tall and would like to sleep inside, and be able to store camping and climbing gear. Many of us recommended larger vehicles to meet his needs. I would never recommend a DC long bed Tacoma over a 1st gen. DC Tundra for many reasons. Niether would I recommend a vehicle that was not long enough for him to sleep in, or one with a back seat that his adult passengers would have to contort themselves into. I would not continue to recommend a vehicle the OP already stated had a "tiny" interior (3rd gen. 4 runner). This is also a thread on a forum under Toyota trucks, so I assume he is looking for a Toyota. All of these things taken into consideration, I really like the 1st gen. DC Tundra or Sequoia with the 5 speed auto and hp increase which would be an '05 or an '06. For me if I had no kids, I would have bought a 1st gen. DC Tacoma and dealt with the short bed and lack of power.

Last edited:

AKmoney

Observer
Not sure where you guys are getting this info from, but from my experience:

(All 100% stock)
4.7L: 11-17MPG
4.0L: 14-21MPG

On 100% highway trips, I was seeing 22MPG in the 4.0L (same with 3.4L found in 3rd Gen 4Runners). To me the difference of 4MPG (or 24%) is pretty significant. Especially for this guy on a student budget. I wouldn't recommend any V8'ed Toyota trucks.

I admit most of what I've seen on 4.0 V6 fuel economy is anecdotal from posts on the T4R.org forums. According to fueleconomy.gov, my truck (when stock) has a 14city/17hwy MPG rating. I calculated about 17mpg in my truck driving on long stretches of I-15 and I-70 in Utah, setting the cruise control right at the 75-80mph limits, climbing steep mountain passes at 7,000+feet and enduring strong crosswinds. Not bad given the conditions and my slightly upsized, Load-E AT rubber.

One thing to note: The trip computer's MPG readout is wildly optimistic. Gotta calculate MPG the old fashioned way.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
The trip computer's MPG readout is wildly optimistic. Gotta calculate MPG the old fashioned way.
I don't have a trip computer, and use the gps odometer so that my mileage is accurate. I have seen high 16s running 4 hi on the highway. Now we were only going 55 to 60.

p nut

butter
He stated that he would like to have a passenger or two, that he was tall and would like to sleep inside, and be able to store camping and climbing gear...

I missed the "or two" part. The Tundra/Sequoia recommendation makes even less sense now. With 3 people, you're not going to be comfortable sleeping in the back of any of these vehicles. If the passengers are small enough that it won't be an issue, then fitting in the back seat of a 4Runner won't be an issue either. In a +1 config, having a platform linked in my first post will work just fine even for a guy his height.

. Niether would I recommend a vehicle that was not long enough for him to sleep in, or one with a back seat that his adult passengers would have to contort themselves into. I would not continue to recommend a vehicle the OP already stated had a "tiny" interior (3rd gen. 4 runner)...

His observation of the 3rd gen was without the seat mod I linked. Again, plenty of room there. Same with the 4th gen.

idaxj97

Adventurer
I just want to pitch in my .02 coming from a built 97 Jeep XJ (which I love to this day) and a 90 4runner being 6'2" I was cramped in these rigs with little room for my passengers and 2 dogs. Going camping in them ridiculous with gear from top to bottom filled the cargo area that even at times spilling onto the roof rack. Recently my wife and I sold the runner and bought a 1st gen. Sequoia SR5 V8 4x4 for $9300. I will say that yes right now it has more space than we need but it is the only rig that I have owned and ridden in that I am 100% comfortable in my driving position and all my passengers have room. With the 3rd row removed and the 2nd folded up I can lay flat on the floor with some room to spare. The V8 has tons of power and currently we are getting 14-15 in town and out on the freeway about 16-17. The fuel economy is a trade off with having all the extra room plus if you plan on sleeping in it at a rest stop or something of the sorts it will meet your wants to stealth camping. Hope this helps out.

ale

Hey all!

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions thus far, though it still seems I have my work cut out for me as I narrow down my options.

To answer a few questions: I will be attending the University of Denver's grad program in international studies this fall and am planning on driving out there with a friend while we hit up multiple climbing areas between VA (home) and CO. Something that really hit home for me reading other peoples adventures is the idea of living "out" of the car rather than "in" it. Because I intend to spend as much time as possible outside my car I have abandoned the idea of requiring a single compartment for stealth camping. We plan to always be moving while on our trip and once in CO I don't anticipate going out of the way to travel to populated areas anyway. The only thing I will need once I settle is for it to drive me everywhere I need to go regardless of conditions and run every time (especially since this will hopefully be my one and only vehicle for a long time to come). My needs will be for it to get me to school/the climbing gym/the mountains on those days I can't ride my bike to the first two places. My intentions are to keep it stock with the exception of a cap on the bed and at most an extra battery for charging electronics or running a heater in the winter.

For these reasons I am still leaning heavily toward the Tacoma. It has the blend of features I want and think will suit me best. I guess right now I just need to decide exactly which features I want. Specifically, an access cab or double cab long bed... And then finding one for sale in my area. Another aspect is determining whether the older generations is more suitable for my needs. So, my goals for the end of this week are to check the local dealers in my area and see what they have and get a feel for each one.

Once again - a big thanks to everyone for your help and guidance!

-Ale

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for. It took me a year and a half of research, and I still struggled with my choice. However, I am happy with how it meets the needs of my family of 5.

v_man

Explorer
If you're seriously considering any older Toyota with the 22re or 3vze engine , be advised they are both dogs at higher elevation . I have owned both a 93 pickup and currently a 90 'Runner , and I have taken them up to places like Engineer Pass and Mosquito Pass in CO (about 12K and 13k feet respectively) . I needed to be in 4lo just to get the tires turning they were so robbed of power . There's only so much those antiquated ECU's can do to compensate for altitude .Even as low as 5-7k feet I noticed a drop in power .

I'd get a 1st gen Tacoma (96'-04') with the access cab and 6 foot bed , throw a camper on the back and call it a day . I've climbed and bummed around for quite a few summers like that and never any trouble or regrets with that setup .... Save the Sequoia and Tundra for when the wife and kids come calling .

p nut

butter
Hey all!

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions thus far, though it still seems I have my work cut out for me as I narrow down my options.

To answer a few questions: I will be attending the University of Denver's grad program in international studies this fall and am planning on driving out there with a friend while we hit up multiple climbing areas between VA (home) and CO. Something that really hit home for me reading other peoples adventures is the idea of living "out" of the car rather than "in" it. Because I intend to spend as much time as possible outside my car I have abandoned the idea of requiring a single compartment for stealth camping. We plan to always be moving while on our trip and once in CO I don't anticipate going out of the way to travel to populated areas anyway. The only thing I will need once I settle is for it to drive me everywhere I need to go regardless of conditions and run every time (especially since this will hopefully be my one and only vehicle for a long time to come). My needs will be for it to get me to school/the climbing gym/the mountains on those days I can't ride my bike to the first two places. My intentions are to keep it stock with the exception of a cap on the bed and at most an extra battery for charging electronics or running a heater in the winter.

For these reasons I am still leaning heavily toward the Tacoma. It has the blend of features I want and think will suit me best. I guess right now I just need to decide exactly which features I want. Specifically, an access cab or double cab long bed... And then finding one for sale in my area. Another aspect is determining whether the older generations is more suitable for my needs. So, my goals for the end of this week are to check the local dealers in my area and see what they have and get a feel for each one.

Once again - a big thanks to everyone for your help and guidance!

-Ale

I think you're on the right track. I only suggested the 4Runner for the extra cargo security and initial cost. I would buy the Tacoma while you're still out east. Taco prices are pretty high in CO and surrounding states. Good luck with the move.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Good luck on your search! I bought myself a 1st gen Tacoma when I turned 16 and loved it, but sold it like an idiot to buy a fast car and wound up with a 5-lug Tacoma because I couldn't pass the deal up (hey it would smoke and Civic, Sentra, etc). Lol. Anyways, when I graduated and got in college I got pre-approved for a 10k loan and looked for over 8 months and never could find a 1st gen Tacoma or Tundra to fit my 12k budget. If your even considering a 1st gen Tacoma then it won't hurt to look at a 3rd gen 4runner. They're virtually the same platform and much cheaper. I was being stubborn and didn't wanna buy a 4runner, but looking back I passed up some great deals on perfect 4runners because of my stubbornness. Just stay open minded. You'll learn to live with and love whatever you buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles