Lucky Gear Find: Inexpensive Hydration pack sized for kids

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hey Family-having folks, thought I would share a recent lucky find. I was planning some desert hiking with my 4-year old and I was trying to figure out how to let her carry some of her own water. Mostly I'm wanting her to develop good hydration habits and not depend on Mom and Dad pushing water at intervals, since it's so important out here. Camelback and some of the other companies make kid-specific packs, but they're pretty expensive (~$50) which was hard for me to justify for someone who will outgrow the pack in short order.

Walking through my local Big5, I found this, though:

4314-OP_Iceberg_2012-Logo-211x300.jpg

http://outdoorproducts.com/iceberg-hydration-pack/

It doesn't seem to be marketed as a "kids" pack, but it is sized such that it will comfortably fit an average 4-year-old with the straps adjusted:
ZQAVB7Ul.jpg

Although I wish the sternum strap would adjust slightly higher:
tz9lcjyl.jpg

It's got a 2L bladder, but I only put in about 1L for daughter's first hike. She was super stoked to have her own "gear" and really did well being in charge of her own drinking. There's enough room in the pockets for a jacket, some snacks, etc. but not a ton of extra room - which will keep it from getting overloaded, a plus, I think.

The OP brand is probably on the lower-end quality-wise, but for what I paid (listed at $29, I paid $25, I think), it should last long enough for my kiddo to grow into something else.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Nice find! And great pic of you two! Very cool. Thanks for sharing! I will be going to Big 5 very soon as I need something for my 5 yo.

BroncoBrandon

Costco also has a similar size backpack. I have only seen it in store though. It's made by High sierra and about the same price point too.

I have been thinking about getting one for my 3 year old to start teaching her the same good habit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles